Which Laptop? Final decisions.

I have posted a thread about laptops vs pcs before and got a great response, so thanks!

I have now narrowed it down to two different laptops and would like the FM community to help me decide which one to choose :)

All i need is for you to say laptop 'A' or 'B' and why you think i should choose it over the other one.

Laptop A: http://store.packardbell.com/store/pbemea/en_GB/pd/productID.222606200

Laptop B: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-3032sa-06559636-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-11

If any addtional details are needed I have the full specifications in front of me on paper :)

Your opinions count!

Thanks guys,

Andy

I have posted a thread about laptops vs pcs before and got a great response, so thanks!

I have now narrowed it down to two different laptops and would like the FM community to help me decide which one to choose :)

All i need is for you to say laptop 'A' or 'B' and why you think i should choose it over the other one.

Laptop A: http://store.packardbell.com/store/pbemea/en_GB/pd/productID.222606200

Laptop B: http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/hp-pavilion-dv6-3032sa-06559636-pdt.html?srcid=369&xtor=AL-11

If any addtional details are needed I have the full specifications in front of me on paper :)

Your opinions count!

Thanks guys,

Andy

i have just boight a hp g56 laptop with windows 7 and with 3gb of memory and a 64 bit operating system and a intel celeronduel core cpu

my question is could i run 3 nations-england full leagues,italy 2 leagues and spain 2 leagues at meduim size database

can you help thanks

I would go with the HP. Marginly Better CPU, Better graphics chip. and its cheaper.

Your wrong there my friend..

Intel's series iX are better than AMD Phenom are..

But yeah go for the HP even though its not in top, it will still be fine enough for the game. And i dont seem to see what graphics card theres in the Packard Bell, but from personal experience is Packard Bell not using high graphic cards

ASUS G73 ... your pants will split from the massive stiffy this machine will give you.

i7 chip .. 1.6 to nearly 3.0 on need

6 megs ram

ATI 5780

17" screen 1600 x 900

Trice the price though.. I believe he got a money restriction..

And almost no matter what Intel iX series beat AMD.. AMD are really bad quality in laptops

Elaborate or give me a link or something.

Lets compare mine with another AMD:

I got Intel I5 430m - With 2.26 ghz DUAL core - Overclockable to 2.59 ghz, scoring a benchmark score on 2360.

The one with most similiar score that's an AMD is a quad core: AMD Phenom X4 9350e with 2 ghz QUAD core...

In conclusion either you need a quad core, tri? core or a high end dual core AMD to follow a "low" Intel I5..

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

WHAT?

You decided on a product on just one benchmark, which does not relate to real world performance. WTH.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/intel-vs-amd-one-notebook-highlights-the-differences/

AMD Laptop is $100 cheaper than Intel. But it still is better in all tasks. Intel only had a big win in battery backup (Which decreases with performance).

Goodjob dude... You compared with the weakest processor ever, which is made for battery power... CULV series are not for any use.. Other than a 10.1" notebook for 9 hours battery.. And if i remember right.. Then this discussion was about the intel iX series..

Good job by you too.

Comparing a two year old 9350e (2008) with core i5 (early this year).

And btw 9350e is also made for battery power. the e denotes that.

And if you want a high end comparision

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=659210

AMD N950 is 50 bucks cheaper than i5 460m.

Its better than 450m in your bechmark link (460m isn't there).

Its way better for multi-threaded apps. Like FM.

Didn't know 9350e was 2 years old.. As im NO fan of AMD.. But AMD N950 doesnt have L3 cache.. The I5 does..

The i5 got higher gHz but only 2 cores, BUT 4 threads..

The 950N got lower gHz but 4 cores, BUT STILL only 4 threads..

So multi threading would be exactly the same.. Or not because I5 got bigger cache.. So Intel wins again

1) There is a heck of a difference between real cores and Hyper-threaded cores.

2) What do you want the L3 cache for. Show off? All you want is performance. Also Cache architecture of Intel and AMD is different.

Comments on that thread as you said exactly what the OP said there

Native quad over HT quads for anything that uses it.

Its tough to compare cross platform (intel v AMD) as far as the cache foes as they are handled differently.

If the games can use 3 or more cores, the quad core will almost certainly win.

If the games can only use 1-2 cores, the i5 will win.

Actually AMD is great value for money in the budget dept. Right now the best AMD CPUs (both desktop & laptop) are priced equal to Intel medium high end. And perform nearly the same too (depending on uses).

So in the very high end segment Intel is the only thing available.

1 - I am sitting on the family desktop. I intend to go to uni or get a job etc, therefore would need my own computer that can play games, do work and be very portable :)

2 - The guys from PC World said that the "i3" is better than the "AMD". Although the Packard bell having a gigabyte less ram than the HP will make the HP laptop faster even with the slightly worse cpu. This is what i have been told, he may have been bullshitting? but yeah :p

3 - The Packard Bell is not the exact laptop, it is slightly more expensive, but with almost the exact same spec. The one in PC World which was similar is £449.99

4 - Yes the Packard Bell is an "i3" rather than an "i5" in the laptop i am looking to buy. Sorry for any confusion with the similar laptop link.

4 -

1 - I am sitting on the family desktop. I intend to go to uni or get a job etc, therefore would need my own computer that can play games, do work and be very portable :)

These can hardly play games other than FM. Non latest games on low. Old on med and high.

2 - The guys from PC World said that the "i3" is better than the "AMD". Although the Packard bell having a gigabyte less ram than the HP will make the HP laptop faster even with the slightly worse cpu. This is what i have been told, he may have been bullshitting? but yeah :p
He is correct to an extent. Can't go wrong with either choice.

To be fair i have an xbox so the only game i will be playing on it is FM :p ... and possibly total war, cos that is just a sick game!

According to pc world, these laptops should do this well. And the comments on here have been quite positive as well :)

Archived