How can I stop my first-team players being picked for the reserves?

Hi guys,

How can I stop my first-team players being selected to play for my reserves?

I'm playing as Bayern, and I've set up a number of reserve team games, to keep the player in my large squad fit. I keep everyone except my first XI in the reserves, and when it comes to first-team match day, I just take a few subs from the reserve squad.

However, I've noticed recently that when I've set up reserve matches, that my assistant is taking players from the first team. This is not what I want, as it means my first-team players are playing too much!

How can I stop this happening?

Thanks in advance!

Here's a workaround that seems to fix the problem.

Go to Team Settings and check the box which allows the Assistant Manager to control the Reserve Team friendly matches. Then save your game.

Go back to the same screen after saving, and uncheck the same box. Save your game.

This fixed the problem for me. Don't ask, I have no idea why. icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by phnompenhandy:

Sounds too obvious, but are you sure that these players are not in your first team squad - ONLY. If they are in your reserve squad but used as subs or 1st XI, they are still actually in your reserve squad.

These are my thoughts as well.

I quite put players in the reserves and then pick them as subs through the filter on the first team page, but when you do this the players will still be in the reserves and play for them. The only way to get them not to play is to move them to the first team squad.

• 1 month later...
Sounds too obvious, but are you sure that these players are not in your first team squad - ONLY. If they are in your reserve squad but used as subs or 1st XI, they are still actually in your reserve squad.

Just had a reoccurence of this problem, and came back to this topic. The players that are being picked for the reserves definitely are not in the reserves squad.

When I use the filters to show only players in the reserves, these players do not appear. But they somehow get selected for the match by my assistant!

This happens to me aswell but the assistant manager only picks players who are lacking match fitness from my first team squad. Are you sure all the players are fully fit and getting enough games under their belts?

This happens to me aswell but the assistant manager only picks players who are lacking match fitness from my first team squad. Are you sure all the players are fully fit and getting enough games under their belts?

He's picking my best player for each position, and in fact the players that he is picking are tired because they played for the first team the day before! I have a pretty good squad, many of whom (in the reserves) are "match fit", but instead he's playing the tired first-teamers.

I have no idea why this has changed, as a couple of days ago (game time) my reserves played, under the same Assistant, and he picked players only in the reserve squad. That's what I want him to keep doing!

hmm is quite strange. The only thing i can think of is that you don't have enough players in your reserve squad and the only ones to fill the gap are your best players. (not saying that this is the actual case but it's a possibility.) Apart from that i have no idea, just check all your settings are correct etc.

hmm is quite strange. The only thing i can think of is that you don't have enough players in your reserve squad and the only ones to fill the gap are your best players. (not saying that this is the actual case but it's a possibility.) Apart from that i have no idea, just check all your settings are correct etc.

There are at least two teams' worth of fit players in my reserve squad.

You should get an opption 'allow to be picked for...reserves' via the player profile page.

i'm sure you'd be able to untick

Although I have seen this option somewhere, I can't find it on any player's profile page at the moment. Can someone tell me exactly where it is located?

Although I have seen this option somewhere, I can't find it on any player's profile page at the moment. Can someone tell me exactly where it is located?

I don't think it is there with German clubs as their second teams play in a lower league.

It's a bit strange, as the assistant usually fills up the squad with youth players (some of them playing 80 games a year...).

I think the only work-around is the same that I use, when the assistant picks my best youths all the time for reserve games.

Manage the reserve team, select the squad and when the match started go on holiday for one day.

I was all out of ideas, so I just allowed continued the game without waiting to find a fix. I set up a second friendly the next day, as a test, and without changing any settings, he picked players only from the reserves, just like I wanted.

I'd be happy to upload my save game if it helps to work out what happened here.

Archived