Im nottingham forest, in my second season and cannot score goals anymore 18 shots on goal 10 on target no goals lost 2-0 other sheffield wednesday had 4 shots on goal 3 on target.

First season never a problem with goals at start of scond season never a prob but for the last 6 games every match report is "reds fail to convert chances" how can i get my team scoring again?? my laptop is bout 3 games away from gettin smashed up!!

thanks

yea SWaRFeGa think ur right must have got used to me had a meeting and it said he play badly v teams that play narrow and a few others changed it up to 4-3-3 thought least i shud get goals this way cos i have macheda on loan all year from united and hes mustard but now played two won em both 2-0 nice and tight at the back, its nearly jan 1st got some awesome wingers maybe time to move on on get in someone bit more central

thanks for ur response

that's a common issue which many people face in the second season.

After performing well in your first year, your reputation rises and your opponents will play more defensively against you than before and counter attack. That will often lead to you dominating the game and getting many chances of inferior quality while they have few very good chances.

A good response to that is to play with more patience. Play narrower, shorter passing and with fewer long shots. You may still find yourself scoring less but that is as your opponents play defensively. At the same time you have to try and make sure that you are less vulnerable to counter attacks, i.e. have pacey defenders and one guy in midfield keeping an eye on defense.

btw playing narrower is actually the opposite of what you'd have to do irl but this is FM and playing narrower works better here.

hth :)

yea SWaRFeGa think ur right must have got used to me had a meeting and it said he play badly v teams that play narrow and a few others changed it up to 4-3-3 thought least i shud get goals this way cos i have macheda on loan all year from united and hes mustard but now played two won em both 2-0 nice and tight at the back, its nearly jan 1st got some awesome wingers maybe time to move on on get in someone bit more central

thanks for ur response

4-3-3 works good for me too currently.

Play deep.

Play narrow.

Exploit the middle.

Full-backs don't get forward.

Target-man and two poachers either side.

One central midfielder very defensive.

4-3-3 works good for me too currently.

Play deep.

Play narrow.

Exploit the middle.

Full-backs don't get forward.

Target-man and two poachers either side.

One central midfielder very defensive.

The 4-3-3 with 3 central strikers is actually a killer tactic on FM10.

In terms of the rest, it's a sad sign for how FM10 is still flawed as irl that's what not to do against defensive opposition. But at least there are things you can do in reactio to your rising reputation :)

Just keep encouraging your attacking players and maybe increase their finishing training for a while and try and stick with the same players for a extended amount of time to give them a chance to get to know each other.

Yeah, good point too.

In year 1 most people cannot do too much on the transfer market as budgets are tight. Then after year 1 they change around a lot but then underestimate that also in FM a team will need time to gel and therefore not play on its top level right away after many players have been exchanged...

Opponents may have cottoned on to your style of play? Try mixing things up.

Do you use the in-game direction? ie. Play narrower, work ball into the box, pass to feet.

pile of rubbish that i used the same tatic for about 15 seasons changed it here and there at first but for 10 straight seasons never touched it opponent never worked it out

I was goinig to suggest you trying 4-3-1-2 as a formation, as i am having great success with it at the moment in my Leeds Save, and combining that with some matches playing 4-3-3, to keep the opposition on their toes. On the 4-3-1-2 setup i trained a couple of strikers to turn them in to AM/FC's, that way when i am playing 4-3-1-2 and think i need 4-3-3 its just a few simple clicks to change formation. I also set the 2 strikers up to change positions with each other to make them harder to mark.

Good luck on your game.

England4Ever

Opponents may have cottoned on to your style of play? Try mixing things up.

Do you use the in-game direction? ie. Play narrower, work ball into the box, pass to feet.

pile of rubbish that i used the same tatic for about 15 seasons changed it here and there at first but for 10 straight seasons never touched it opponent never worked it out

The "AI learning your tactics" thing is a myth, but as with many myths, there is a kernel of truth behind it. While they don't react to your tactics, they do react to your results. If, over a decent period of time (say, half a season or more), you've been overachieving, then, logically, the AI will start to play more defensively against you (and vice-versa, but generally, if you've been underachieving, you don't get to see the outcome :p).

If your tactic is set up (intentionally or not) to take advantage of the opposition attacking you, then it might well struggle against teams playing more defensive football, giving the illusion that they've adapted to your tactic. Other tactics might work well against teams playing both offensive and defensive football, so no such effect is noticed.

My mistake. You're absolutely right. You are the benchmark.

Archived