Played out of position affects result too much ?

Been doing some experimenting to find out what happens when players are played out of position as red dots, and I have come to the conclusion that it affects the outcome of a match more than I believe it should do.

Playing the same opponents, at home, in the very first match of the very first season, 7 times (reloaded back in after each match) with a 3, 2, 2, 3 formation, but with 2 strikers at the back (basically just to win headers and swap them back as strikers should the Sw/D/DMC or AML who are up with the dedicated striker, score (who are only there for the youngest and oldest player goalscoring records), I failed to win a single time. (So that was 4 players oop)

Played with players in their dedicated positions and the opposition on each reload was hammered every time.

Bearing in mind that I was at home, with vastly superior players, the strikers at the back won all their headers etc, the midfielders (who are always instructed to go forward) were all gifted players playing in their normal position, and there was always at least 1 v consistent v good striker up front at all times, I would have expected to at least win the vast majority of those 7 experiments, and so to draw every one came as a complete surprise.

Is playing even just one player as a red dot, v detrimental to the chances of winning any game ?

Irl, players are asked to play oop a lot of times even in the prem due to either injuries or a threadbare squad, and it doesn't seem to affect their chances that much as in game seems to affect.

What are your experiences of playing red dotted players ?

The only time I ever play red dotted players, is if I have no choice what so ever, which is rare.

I normally have a pretty well compiled squad, with reserves/u18's which would be able to hande the job.

--

I did play Otamendi at LB for Newcastle when I really had no choice what so ever :( both goals conceded came from crosses from that side.

as long as the attributes of the player fit the position you give him there should be no issues, as far as i know only decisions attribute is affected badly by playing out of position

and well is it such a big suprise stuff went bad when you put a striker as DC, considering they lack so many key DC attributes?

I never play players in central defense who have no ability in that position and if I'm forced to do it I usually choose a DM with good anticipation and positioning because it is such an important position. I have used wingers as full backs (with wing back roles) several times against worse opposition without any problems. I have used big, strong central defenders at target men up front with decent success. As long as they have the relevant attributes to be decent in that position they usually do a decent job.

putting strikers in defence is obviously going to be detrimental to your chances of winning. their stats for tackling, marking, etc will be quite low and a red dot basically means danger, do not do it.

Why are you surprised that two strikers at the back in a 3-2-2-3 won't work at all?

There is much, much more to defending than just headers. Imagine if the opposition team keeps the ball on the ground.

Defence is especially bad. You can get away with it somewhat in attacking positions somewhat (wingers on the wrong flank, strikers on the wing, wingers up front, midfielders up front, etc.), but not defensive positions.

Archived