FMHi on the iPad

I didn't think the game could be any better than what SI managed to produce for the iPhone but on the iPad, even though nothing is actually any different, the game seems to be even better.

Now I don't have to run my iPhone battery down when I want a quick FM fix and on the iPad's screen the doubling up effect has not distorted the quality.

:thup::D

• SI Staff

Yeah I've been really pleased with how well the game scales up when playing on the iPad - I probably play it more commonly on my iPad now than I do on my iPhone tbh ...

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't think the game could be any better than what SI managed to produce for the iPhone but on the iPad, even though nothing is actually any different, the game seems to be even better.

Now I don't have to run my iPhone battery down when I want a quick FM fix and on the iPad's screen the doubling up effect has not distorted the quality.

:thup::D

Do you not find it quite bluerry when your viewing in x2?

If you read the post it says the doubling up effect does not distort the quality.

Yup I know, thats the reason I was asking as its quite blurry on mine so was just checking if thats normal as in the post said that it didnt distort the quality (but maybe im expecting too much lol)

• SI Staff
Yup I know, thats the reason I was asking as its quite blurry on mine so was just checking if thats normal as in the post said that it didnt distort the quality (but maybe im expecting too much lol)

I think it depends on what you expect really - the text is a little 'blocky' possibly because obviously its scaled by doubling pixels up without additional anti-aliasing (which is what we use to make the fonts look smooth and pretty), but apart from that I think it looks pretty darn good scaled up ...

I think it depends on what you expect really - the text is a little 'blocky' possibly because obviously its scaled by doubling pixels up without additional anti-aliasing (which is what we use to make the fonts look smooth and pretty), but apart from that I think it looks pretty darn good scaled up ...

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply.

That's great, I just wanted to check it was supposed to be a bit a wee bit blocky.

Apart from that, i'm loving it on the iPad, its so responsive and fast.

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but are there any plans to create a version of FMHi that takes advantage of the iPad's larger screen size? I play it 2x on my iPad, but can see a real opportunity here to get some iPad-optimized versions onto a fair number of the 3 million iPads already sold... One or two new iPads sold every second, I'm hearing. :)

• SI Staff
Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but are there any plans to create a version of FMHi that takes advantage of the iPad's larger screen size? I play it 2x on my iPad, but can see a real opportunity here to get some iPad-optimized versions onto a fair number of the 3 million iPads already sold... One or two new iPads sold every second, I'm hearing. :)

I'd love to do an iPad specific version - however there are obviously time constraints involved in this as its important I stay focussed upon ensuring that the iPhone game itself continues and evolves at as high a standard as possible.

As such - yes I'd love to do an iPad specific version, however at present there isn't a definite eta for such a version ... should this change we'll obviously announce it via. the forums in the future.

I'd love to do an iPad specific version - however there are obviously time constraints involved in this as its important I stay focussed upon ensuring that the iPhone game itself continues and evolves at as high a standard as possible.

As such - yes I'd love to do an iPad specific version, however at present there isn't a definite eta for such a version ... should this change we'll obviously announce it via. the forums in the future.

Thanks, Marc. I'll be one of the first in line when/if you bring out an iPad-optimized version.

For now, very happy with the iPhone game. :)

• 1 month later...

I would like to see a good version of FM for the iPad, I have tried the FMH on my iPhone and its awful compared to the version on the PC and Mac, well actually compared to anything it's awful. I cannot understand these people who say its great ... I think they must work for the developers or be very easily pleased with a primitive game engine and blocky graphics. A good version would be fantastic on the iPad and would be the top grossing App within days.

iPad sales are now reaching 2 Million so come on stop dithering just get on and release a great version of FM for the iPad

Edit Post Reply Reply With Quote

• SI Staff
be very easily pleased with a primitive game engine

I find that the reception for FMH is generally quite positive - often the most 'negative' response to it is from 'hard core' FM PC/Mac players (which it sounds like you might be) who after after the full immersion of that version but on a handheld device.

To be quite frank that ISNT what FMH is intended to be at all, its realistic - but is always going to be aimed at being a faster and slightly more 'fun' experience to play than the PC game, its an important part of the design of the game that you CAN play it in 5-10 minutes chunks of time and feel you've done something whereas on the PC game I'd probably be in the middle of setting up my tactics for a match at that point ;)

I realise this does mean that a segment of people such as yourself might not appreciate the game, but it also opens it up to people who don't have time to play the PC game but want to play FM .... unfortunately its possible to pleased everyone all of the time.

iPad sales are now reaching 2 Million so come on stop dithering just get on and release a great version of FM for the iPad

You are aware that it took me nearly 12 months and approximately 2,600 hours of development to create the iPhone game? - its not 'dithering' which prevents us from releasing an iPad game, its the fact that developing software is a very complex task.

IMHO its best to take our time and do the games properly rather than rush something out which might not be on a decent standard, I'm proud of the fact that our games are thought of as the best sims on which ever platform they're released upon and want that to continue to be the case in the future.

Mark, I for one dont want a full scale version for the ipad, maybe just a little enhanced version including unlimited seasons and able to have more than one country in the game at a time ( 3 would be good). Get the resolution up to the native 1024x768 pixels to get rid of the slight blur/blockiness and your on a winner IMO. go on, you know you want too. Those extra features would make me pay an extra fiver no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

If SIG used iPhone 4 as the default model for the next version then the game would suit the iPad very nicely. But my guess is that they'll use the iPhone 3G which is what I most iPhone users still have. But my guess is that next year nearly all developers will only be thinking of ios4 on 3GS and above for the deeper games.

• 4 weeks later...
Mark, I for one dont want a full scale version for the ipad, maybe just a little enhanced version including unlimited seasons and able to have more than one country in the game at a time ( 3 would be good). Get the resolution up to the native 1024x768 pixels to get rid of the slight blur/blockiness and your on a winner IMO. go on, you know you want too. Those extra features would make me pay an extra fiver no problem.

Actually, I'd love to see a full version of FM on the iPad, or at least a pretty beefed-up version of the handheld game. Would a port of an earlier version, like FM7, be technically possible?

• 3 weeks later...

Add another who'd buy an iPad specific version.

Could call it "Football Manager HD". Seems thats what all the other popular apps are doing for the iPad. Even if it was just a resolution increase, I'd shell out for it. But would love to see MLS and China Super League added. Maybe even a "bribe official" option for CSL managers. Eh, just kidding about that last bit.

Archived