Secret Millionaire?

Ever tried to turn an unknown club into a powerhouse by doing the following?

Create a manager called 'Secret Millionaire' to manage Chelsea, then spend the entire budget (usually around 60 million) on the worst player of the unknown club you have taken charge of as your real name. Immediately retire Secret Millionaire, then you have at least 20 million to spend on your little club to try and take it to a high level.

It's like create your own Notts County. I did it with Argentinian second division side Platense and established them as a mid-table first division outfit on FM09.

Now I have started FM10 with Belgian Second division side Oostende, with their 10,000 capacity stadium, and good ol Secret Millionaire has provided me with a 20 million transfer fund. It's tough trying to get truly good players to join when you're in the Belgian second division, so I'm trying to get some South Americans in who'd be glad to get a foothold in Europe. Not started 2009-10 yet, and am struggling in the friendlies while I add to my squad, but I still think it's fun, if a form of cheating. But it's not out of the realms of possibility that some loony businessman could one day throw a load of cash at a club like Oostende - in my mind, I've decided it's one of Marvin Gaye's relatives thanking the town for the happy years the soul singer spent there! :D - and if I can get the club into European competition, then my first FM10 game will have been a success.

As for Chelsea, spending 60 million on an unknown Belgian worth £3000, well that's crazy Abramovich for you! :D

surely even abramovic would block you paying £60m for an unknown player worth £3k or am i wrong?

Ha ha, no he didn't! And my mate Secret had a laugh with the press conference as well...

Meanwhile, back at Oostende, I've signed players for 5 and 2 million so far, but by far the best reaction has been my signing of José Chatruc on a free - fans, a player and my chairman have been delighted by my 'wheeler-dealing'. They're clearly not used to all this money. They haven't seen how much I propose to spend on a striker...

I've played games where I've taken the 2nd division Belgian teams and made them powerhouses in Europe, without giving them a cash injection. Sure it took about 20 seasons, but I wasn't in it for instant success.

Archived