Strange effects on pitch.

I just started a match and was surprised to notice some strange 'effects' on the pitch.

This is the most noticeable. See the big 'scar' through the goal:

scar.jpg

I tried taking better screenshots but, for some reason, Paint likes to create a jpeg with the picture on one side and my desktop on the other. Taking a screenshot in the game just gave me a black pitch with my pitch view modules on top. So I cut and paste a part of it.

As well as the 'scar' I keep seeing 'flashes' across players all over the pitch. It almost looks like there is a dappling of sunlight across the player...like he is walking through a forest on a sunny day.

I'm not running a minor machine:

Ge-Force GTX 285 1GB,

6 GB RAM,

I7 3.2GHz quad core.

Anyone seen this in their games? I'd hate to think something is overheating. I'm not running a demanding game and the computer is only just over a week old.

Ok I did a bit of fiddling about and managed to get rid of the strange effects. The problem is it required low graphical detail to get rid of the 'scar', though I removed the dappling effect by turning off the stadium.

I haven't seen this before so I wondered if it could be the stadium, assuming each stadium is drawn different.

I haven't seen any graphical problems in any other games, but I will check again.

Floodlights shadow?

Yeah, it is rather floodlighty in shape. I considered it was a mistake in the drawing of the stadium, and it probably is some sort of error.

I suppose it's nothing to worry about. Just had a few problems with the RAM when this computer came, and I'd hate to have a dodgy video card too. :eek:

Not to make you worry too much, but it could look like your video card is overheating. Typically when they do they give off strange effects in games, like lines, flickering, weird shadows etc.

What I would do is try to play another game for a while and see what happens, preferrably a more graphics intense one (say like a first person shooter game or something which requires a lot of 3D graphics). If those types of games are all right then you should be able to rule out hardware error tied to the graphics card at least and no need to worry :)

Not to make you worry too much, but it could look like your video card is overheating. Typically when they do they give off strange effects in games, like lines, flickering, weird shadows etc.

What I would do is try to play another game for a while and see what happens, preferrably a more graphics intense one (say like a first person shooter game or something which requires a lot of 3D graphics). If those types of games are all right then you should be able to rule out hardware error tied to the graphics card at least and no need to worry :)

Yeah, that was my worry when I first saw the strange graphics. I've been playing Settlers 7 a bit lately and, though it's not the most graphically intensive game in the world, there is a lot going on and I've noticed no graphical issues.

Feeling the tower, it's not even really all that warm. There's nice cool air blowing out the side fan (next to the Video card).

I'm really inclined to think it was a one off error by the game in drawing the stadium (or however it's termed). I am going to download a temperature monitor though.

EDIT: GPU is only reading 47 celsius and I think that's nothing to worry about.

I used to have random square blobs (this is the only way I can describe this) when watching games in 3D. I put this down to the heat. Strangely, I have not seen them for a couple of months now - happy days.

Although I did have a major problem about 6 months ago with my graphics card overheating and creating lines like a bar code on my screen. Nothing I could do except close it down and start again. I went on to some forums and it was an overheating problem. I downloaded speedfan and could see that my processors were getting upto around 50c and this was considered to hot.

So I would say that 47 is getting up there and it will be an overheating issue.

Just out of a matter on interesty how long is your PC on for when this happens? Mine is usually on from 9 to 12am on Saturdays and Sundays and I found that it was usually happening to me late on in the evening.

I downloaded speedfan and could see that my processors were getting upto around 50c and this was considered to hot.

So I would say that 47 is getting up there and it will be an overheating issue.

Having a GPU with a temperature of around 50 degrees Celcius is nothing to worry about. It does to some degree come down to which graphics card you have installed in your machine, but I have never heard of graphics cards overheating at 50 degrees Celcius. I have two graphics cards in my machine and they are usually around 75-80 degrees Celcius +/- some degrees and that's not abnormal for the type of card I have. Other types of graphics cards might operate within other temperature ranges, but hoping to have it below 50 degrees Celcius is not very likely.

Try to do a google search for your model of graphics cards and see what the manufacturer says about the specific graphics card you have. From what I hear though it seems like 47 degrees Celcius is a totally normal range for graphics cards to operate within. And if you played Settlers 7 for a while with no problems I wouldn't worry at all and instead try to look at other solutions to your problem.

Having a GPU with a temperature of around 50 degrees Celcius is nothing to worry about. It does to some degree come down to which graphics card you have installed in your machine, but I have never heard of graphics cards overheating at 50 degrees Celcius. I have two graphics cards in my machine and they are usually around 75-80 degrees Celcius +/- some degrees and that's not abnormal for the type of card I have. Other types of graphics cards might operate within other temperature ranges, but hoping to have it below 50 degrees Celcius is not very likely.

Try to do a google search for your model of graphics cards and see what the manufacturer says about the specific graphics card you have. From what I hear though it seems like 47 degrees Celcius is a totally normal range for graphics cards to operate within. And if you played Settlers 7 for a while with no problems I wouldn't worry at all and instead try to look at other solutions to your problem.

Yeah that was my thinking. The support site for my PC manufacturer lists 47 as a perfectly normal temperature for my GPU.

I played one more match after the errors and everything was fine. A few very brief flashes on the screen but nothing I'd never seen before. I don't know. I'm at a loss. I can only assume it was just a game error.

Hang on a mo - do you not mean 75 - 80 Fahrenheit. 75-80 Centigrade is f..ing hot! This is getting close to boiling water.

75-80 Celsius isn't that hot for a Graphics Card, some have to get well over 100C before you start to get into big trouble.

Ok cool (or hot!!!!) - i thought that this was very hot but if it is not for a graphics card then fine - what about a processors temperature then? what is the normal range.

Cheers

Ok cool (or hot!!!!) - i thought that this was very hot but if it is not for a graphics card then fine - what about a processors temperature then? what is the normal range.

Cheers

It entriely depends on which type of processor you have. Take a look here to find your processor: Computer Hope

Get new drivers for your GFX card mate

www.nvidia.com

Already done.

Cheers

When the CPU overheats it usually shuts the computer down to prevent damage. I wouldn't expect graphical problems to be symptoms of that either.

I'm inclined to ignore it for now and take it as an error. If it happens again I'll think further.

Archived