Arsenal Role play challenge, help wanted

I usually give up after just a few seasons, cause I lose interest. Now I have a game going as arsenal, and im doing very well. Im top of the league 2 points clear, and 5 relatively easy matches to go, and Im gonna qualify for semi in CC (defending 2-1 at home). Now, im pretty good at tactics, but totally lame at transfers. So far, I didn't buy anyone.

I want to make this game a bit of an extra challenge, with the following rules:

I can only buy 1 adult player per year.

He cannot cost me more then 20M pounds.

I feel like this is what wenger did as well. This season he got vermaelen, last season nasri, etc.

I also need to grow my own players. A lot should come from regens out of my youth acedemy, but I can also buy the odd brazilian or otherwise foreign youngster. They cannot cost me more then a couple of million.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do? Im not sure

Who to buy, and what position im looking for.

Who to buy as youngster talent. People like lukaku are obviously too expensive, but the other guys are all 2.5 stars or less, and I cannot see who's gonna turn out bad and who will turn out good. Any pointers here?

Whether it would be permitted to extend contracts of silvestre and senderos? I feel like it'd be kinda unrealistic, since there's no way wenger will let them sign again. I also got a 19 yr old left back out on loan (brazilian guy named gilbert), should I extend his contract? I don't really need him obviously, since I already have 3 left backs.

But I guess the main question remains: how to find those cheap youngsters that'll still turn out good players?

I usually give up after just a few seasons, cause I lose interest. Now I have a game going as arsenal, and im doing very well. Im top of the league 2 points clear, and 5 relatively easy matches to go, and Im gonna qualify for semi in CC (defending 2-1 at home). Now, im pretty good at tactics, but totally lame at transfers. So far, I didn't buy anyone.

I want to make this game a bit of an extra challenge, with the following rules:

I can only buy 1 adult player per year.

He cannot cost me more then 20M pounds.

I feel like this is what wenger did as well. This season he got vermaelen, last season nasri, etc.

I also need to grow my own players. A lot should come from regens out of my youth acedemy, but I can also buy the odd brazilian or otherwise foreign youngster. They cannot cost me more then a couple of million.

Do you have any suggestions on what to do? Im not sure

Who to buy, and what position im looking for.

Who to buy as youngster talent. People like lukaku are obviously too expensive, but the other guys are all 2.5 stars or less, and I cannot see who's gonna turn out bad and who will turn out good. Any pointers here?

Whether it would be permitted to extend contracts of silvestre and senderos? I feel like it'd be kinda unrealistic, since there's no way wenger will let them sign again. I also got a 19 yr old left back out on loan (brazilian guy named gilbert), should I extend his contract? I don't really need him obviously, since I already have 3 left backs.

But I guess the main question remains: how to find those cheap youngsters that'll still turn out good players?

What about Arshavin?

Have you tried using the scouts? They can find some real gems and if their (the scouts) stats are good enough their predictions on future succes are usually pretty accurate. I tend to have one scout working each of the league im running and when they return their reports i look thru them and get my main scout (usually Oliver Bierhoff) to rescout them for a second opinion. This has been pretty succesful for me.

Have you tried using the scouts? They can find some real gems and if their (the scouts) stats are good enough their predictions on future succes are usually pretty accurate. I tend to have one scout working each of the league im running and when they return their reports i look thru them and get my main scout (usually Oliver Bierhoff) to rescout them for a second opinion. This has been pretty succesful for me.

you also get more then 3 stars sometimes? And if you find, say, 20 3 stars players, then how do you decide who you sign?

you also get more then 3 stars sometimes? And if you find, say, 20 3 stars players, then how do you decide who you sign?

Part of the game is for you to work this out. If it was all handed to you on a plate then it would be boring. Sometimes you will find a gem, other times you will find a Djemba-Djemba.

Remember that the star sytem is relevent to the players you currently have not a 1-10 system. Example if you're at Barnet they will be 5 star if your at Arsenal maybe 2 star, same player scouted by same scout.

Like i said, a top quality scout, ie judg pot = 19/20 + judg abl = 19/20 will filter out the better players. I use Bierhoff for this. Try it and see how you get on.

I dont claim to be an expert, just giving out some friendly advice on something which has consistently worked for me.

Like i said, a top quality scout, ie judg pot = 19/20 + judg abl = 19/20 will filter out the better players. I use Bierhoff for this. Try it and see how you get on.

I will, thanks. Since im arsenal, ive plenty of quality scouts. All of em have good judgement attributes.

One way to find good youngsters is to look at the threads on the GPTG forum :p

A more realistic way is, as said above, to just send all your scouts out to places they have knowledge of and see what they find - normally a couple will find gems...

In particular, at the start of the season regularly check the list of players they've scouted, since 16 yr old regens that are good and cheap often get snapped up quickly (Man City are the bane of my life on this front! Everyone seems to prefer a life of mediocrity to potential stardom at the mighty wolves, even though i'm in the champions league!)

My two Cents as a gooner:

Never offer more than 1 year on a contract for an over 30 unless they are a genune first teamer/key player

Priorities are Champions League, Premiership, Fa cup, carling cup in that order

A full first team is only ever played, in regards to the cups, in the FA cup final

Always aim to make a net profit or break even in transfer fees

Loan out as many of your 18 - 20yr old reserves as possible

If you think you've made a realistic offer for a player, never go too far over that

The Emirates cup is always held in preseason, featuring similar level European clubs

Remember, every youngster you sign doesn't need to be potentially the best player in the world. You can sign them + pay their wages for a couple of years and still make a profit on them, a few million here and there can fund your big signing per season.

My two Cents as a gooner:

Never offer more than 1 year on a contract for an over 30 unless they are a genune first teamer/key player

Priorities are Champions League, Premiership, Fa cup, carling cup in that order

A full first team is only ever played, in regards to the cups, in the FA cup final

Always aim to make a net profit or break even in transfer fees

Loan out as many of your 18 - 20yr old reserves as possible

If you think you've made a realistic offer for a player, never go too far over that

The Emirates cup is always held in preseason, featuring similar level European clubs

thanks, this is very usefull advice. I did this pretty well so far. I just extended gallas for 1 year. I lost in the fa cup 1/16th final vs coventry, playing my second tier twice. I loaned out barazite, didn't get any other offers, but also, I need some players for first team. I didn't know they preferred CC over premier league, but I play my first team every weak anyway.

btw. I won the league, now gonna play cc-semi's. I'd say that's a pretty decent achievement without transfers already. By "I won the league" i mean, 9 points clear, and 3 games to go, never gonna lose this.

Edit: by your rules I kinda cheated :(. I played my first tier in the league cup final. I played second up to that point though. Had very easy draws.

thanks, this is very usefull advice. I did this pretty well so far. I just extended gallas for 1 year. I lost in the fa cup 1/16th final vs coventry, playing my second tier twice. I loaned out barazite, didn't get any other offers, but also, I need some players for first team. I didn't know they preferred CC over premier league, but I play my first team every weak anyway.

btw. I won the league, now gonna play cc-semi's. I'd say that's a pretty decent achievement without transfers already. By "I won the league" i mean, 9 points clear, and 3 games to go, never gonna lose this.

Edit: by your rules I kinda cheated :(. I played my first tier in the league cup final. I played second up to that point though. Had very easy draws.

Obviously we'd love to win either CL or Prem, but it's widely known that Wenger's ultimate holy grail is the Champions League, and seeing as Arsenal have never won it, I'd say it's the club's dream too.

Meh, if I remember rightly we did play a few first teamers in our league cup final a few years back vs Chelsea

Archived