Praising players now makes some dislike you

It used to be that by praising players from other clubs whom you wanted to sign, once every month, they all eventually listed you as one of their Favoured Personnel.

You have to be careful not to praise them twice within 30 days, as then they get bored of hearing the same thing.

So, I've continued this method with FM 10, praising players like Messi, Pique, Buffon etc.

A year and a half later, I've noticed that half the players I was praising regularly every month, still didn't like me. So I checked with an editor to see if they liked me at least a little bit or if I was wasting my time.

To my surprise (cos I'm just so wonderful ;)), Messi, Ronaldo, Buffon and Pique DISlike me by an average rating of 80 (out of 100).

Seems that the more I praise some of them, the more they dislike me?

The only feedback I have received, in-game, is that they take what I say with a pinch of salt. But that used to be normal, until you had praised them enough. Seems like now it's having the opposite effect, and I think it's wrong there's no proper feedback about what's going on.

Is this a bug that affects some players or a change within the game?

If it's a change, then more accurate feedback would be great, so we don't waste our time achieving the opposite of the intended effect.

I'm playing with Arsenal, so I'm not a rival of Juventus, Barca or Real. And I have also been praising their managers. To soften them up prior to making the bids. The players in question like their managers, so it can't be they are unhappy because I've praised someone they dont like.

I also hadn't tried to unsettle them by making any enquiry or bid yet, either.

Maybe introducing a different comment like "Player X couldn't care less what you think of their ability and would prefer if you didn't mention him when you talk to the press" would make it more obvious that it's now a waste of time to praise certain players. :)

If they take it with a pinch of salt first time, give them time. If your praising them at the begining of the game/season they want to see how you perform sometimes, so leave it till December/January to praise them again.

OK mate, I'll try giving the salty ones more time between praises. Cheers. :)

They don't respect you because your praise is by now meaningless - you dish it out far too often. Every month is ridiculous: I never prasie a player more than a few times per season.

Also, you've got to praise at the right level. If you tell a player whose playing at a rating 7.00 that he's unbelievably amazing and in the best form of his life, he'll think you're an idiot.

If you tell a player playing at 8.05 that his performance is acceptable, he'll think you're a stingy dick.

And all the while, you've got to take into account their personality: your temperamental 18 year old winger might love unstinting praise ,and need to be fawned over constantly everytime he baguely impresses, but your grizzled 32 year old CB captain can probably do without you exulting over every decent performance, and just the occasional "keep it up"

Praise is not that easy a route into your players' affections.

The "Player X couldn't care less..." route is a bad idea, because IRL your players wouldn't actively announce that they didn't respect your opinion. They'd try to be tactful (if they're professional).

Do your players not get a "PR" status, saying that they think it too easy to get your praise? Do they not start to "struggle to motivate themselves to play for you"? The game usually does send warning signs.

I do however agree with the OP that the feedback should be different.

Also, Dekker, the OP is praising players at other clubs; obviously Messi could say "I dont give a flying baboon about what you think, you're a nobody" if someone he dont care the least about praise him...

They don't respect you because your praise is by now meaningless - you dish it out far too often. Every month is ridiculous: I never prasie a player more than a few times per season.

Also, you've got to praise at the right level. If you tell a player whose playing at a rating 7.00 that he's unbelievably amazing and in the best form of his life, he'll think you're an idiot.

If you tell a player playing at 8.05 that his performance is acceptable, he'll think you're a stingy dick.

And all the while, you've got to take into account their personality: your temperamental 18 year old winger might love unstinting praise ,and need to be fawned over constantly everytime he baguely impresses, but your grizzled 32 year old CB captain can probably do without you exulting over every decent performance, and just the occasional "keep it up"

Praise is not that easy a route into your players' affections.

The "Player X couldn't care less..." route is a bad idea, because IRL your players wouldn't actively announce that they didn't respect your opinion. They'd try to be tactful (if they're professional).

Do your players not get a "PR" status, saying that they think it too easy to get your praise? Do they not start to "struggle to motivate themselves to play for you"? The game usually does send warning signs.

He's talking about praising other club's players to tap them up to make them easier to buy. Not commenting on his own player's form.

Archived