Not sure I like This FM

I don't really like FM this year if i'm honest.

I originally did a Swans save and finished 15th before the chirman sold Bodde for me, which ruined the game for me.

Then i started a Villa save which seemed very unrealistic because they wanted top half with 2-3M to spend :S

So i didnt sign anyone. Anyway i spent hours on pre-season with training , coaches and tactics etc. Played hull away lost 1-0. Then had team called Tromoso or something in europa cup. drew 0-0 at home then somehow lost 4-0 away :S wtf. Agbonlahor is crap on the game in my opinion.

I just don't get the game to be honest, it just seems random.

I say this becasue im so meticulous and pay attention to every detail yet my team plays *****.

Then my mate plays his game without doing training, coaches, quick formation and tactics, no OI, doesn't read scout reports, plays same tactics for every game and yet he's top with liverpool.

FM must be just random?

I don't like the tactics on this one. Much prefered the old version, striker or target man. none of this crap about defensive forward, complete forward etc. all too complicated!

to counter your queries, were swansea in financial trouble at the time of needing to sell Bodde??

also, with regards to aston villa: you have the same squad that martin oneill entered the season with, and he was expected to get a higher position than top half. in fact top half would be quite poor for the villa side even with no additions. the fact you only got three millino shouldnt matter because the squad as it is is more than capable of getting that finish.

agbonlahors main asset is his speed. its not his finishing or any other thing.if you use his speed youll get good result. no point putting him as a target man for example because thats not his strength. you just need to tweak your tactics.

I don't really like FM this year if i'm honest.

I originally did a Swans save and finished 15th before the chirman sold Bodde for me, which ruined the game for me.

Then i started a Villa save which seemed very unrealistic because they wanted top half with 2-3M to spend :S

So i didnt sign anyone. Anyway i spent hours on pre-season with training , coaches and tactics etc. Played hull away lost 1-0. Then had team called Tromoso or something in europa cup. drew 0-0 at home then somehow lost 4-0 away :S wtf. Agbonlahor is crap on the game in my opinion.

I just don't get the game to be honest, it just seems random.

I say this becasue im so meticulous and pay attention to every detail yet my team plays *****.

Then my mate plays his game without doing training, coaches, quick formation and tactics, no OI, doesn't read scout reports, plays same tactics for every game and yet he's top with liverpool.

FM must be just random?

I don't like the tactics on this one. Much prefered the old version, striker or target man. none of this crap about defensive forward, complete forward etc. all too complicated!

Don't write it off just because you havn't had the best of starts, you seem to be getting flustered and blaming the game for you not winning. Everything you mentioned seems realistic to me. Chairmen do sometimes sell players over a managers head, which i'm sure annoys them just as it has to you. To say it ruined your game is a bit strong, if you had continued another year you probably would have forgotten about the whole Bodde issue.

As for the Villa thing, i'd expect Villa to finish in the top 8 even if you didn't a penny to spend, so that isn't unrealistic at all. Sometimes new managers come into clubs and try to over complicate things, it takes time for new players and managers to gel together. By the sounds of it you're a few games in and writing off your entire season, Agbonlahor might just be suffering from a lack of morale or not fitting into your tactics. These things take time.

And I don't see how you can talk about how meticulous you are, then moan that having more specific tactics for each player is more complicated. Don't give up on the game, it is brilliant, and not all about winning.

"I don't like the tactics on this one. Much prefered the old version, striker or target man. none of this crap about defensive forward, complete forward etc. all too complicated!"

switch to classic tactics then

Don't write it off just because you havn't had the best of starts, you seem to be getting flustered and blaming the game for you not winning. Everything you mentioned seems realistic to me. Chairmen do sometimes sell players over a managers head, which i'm sure annoys them just as it has to you. To say it ruined your game is a bit strong, if you had continued another year you probably would have forgotten about the whole Bodde issue.

As for the Villa thing, i'd expect Villa to finish in the top 8 even if you didn't a penny to spend, so that isn't unrealistic at all. Sometimes new managers come into clubs and try to over complicate things, it takes time for new players and managers to gel together. By the sounds of it you're a few games in and writing off your entire season, Agbonlahor might just be suffering from a lack of morale or not fitting into your tactics. These things take time.

And I don't see how you can talk about how meticulous you are, then moan that having more specific tactics for each player is more complicated. Don't give up on the game, it is brilliant, and not all about winning.

I agree with that post :thup:

Except the last bit. FM and football in general IS all about winning :p

I would urge you not to give up as i am finding FM10 brilliant so far. I personally think it is by far the best one i have played in years.

If you are having trouble with tactics then try going one of the top sides like Man U/Real madrid and playing around with tactics with them to see what works and doesnt work in regards to tactics.

Obviously doing this will only give you the basics of what works tactically and what makes a good tactic and you will have to tweak tactics for the different teams you manage.

I sympathise with the OP here as the game is random. He has obviously put alot of time into doing everything correct and seeting up training etc the way it should be done and worked hard on all parts of the game.

The problem with FM now is that no matter what you have done in the background if your mentality settings are off compared to the odds on matchday you will lose. Changing your team from what you read in a scout report seems pointless as more often than not the changes don't work. It is very random and often comes down to guesswork. Success in FM is now overly reliant on choosing the correct tactic/mentality and players have become irrelevant along with training and other parts of the game.

His mate has obviously got his mentality settings correct and used a decent tactic that works the majority of times when your favourite (as liverpool would be in most games). The same tactic/mentality would probably struggle if he was Burnley for example.

"I don't like the tactics on this one. Much prefered the old version, striker or target man. none of this crap about defensive forward, complete forward etc. all too complicated!"

switch to classic tactics then

how do you do that?

I'd stick it out with your Villa save... I finished 9th in the 1st season, 7th in the second and am currently 4th in season 3.

With the right setup, Agbonlahor can be something of a talisman. But you'll have to be careful with your spending otherwise you'll end up with the chairman selling over your head - but instead of Bodde it'll be Ashley Young.

Archived