The turning point game

In every career there is a game that signifies the turn from mediocracy to greatness. This game is hard to spot but one has to win it if he is going to be succesful in the footballing world.

When a new career begins FM will throw the usual obstacles, most common being that it is very difficult to win a match. We have all seen AI comebacks, fake goals, red cards etc. In the past I used to cheat in the first three-four matches and AI would get subdued.

Recently though I discovered another fantastic technique. I let AI cheat for a month or two, being careful not to drift very far down the table. Then I recognise the turning point game. This is not very difficult, it is usually against an unnaturaly unbeaten team. This game I win by heavy cheating, usualy by a good margin (although that is not necessary)

And sure enough the miracle happens. No more comebacks, no more screamers or even injuries! AI realises its messing with the wrong guy! Try it at home!

I know this is just a baiting thread and I really should rise above it, but ... okay then:

So... it takes a while to get a team used to a new manager's tactics, but when the confidence comes in they do well?

Yeah, the AI definitely cheats. And deliberatly misreading and constantly misquoting a "senior" SI guy's post proves it.

Aside from the number of missed one-v-ones I can't see much wrong with the current game. Room for improvement, sure, but AI cheating is just a poor excuse.

I'm sure I'll regret posting that, but my game just crashed and I thought I'd log on for a little break before replaying my game against Brighton.

thats not a bad approach but I like to win the first dozen games in a season. if i lose, i just reload the save and play again.

i feel winning 4 or 5 at the start sends a strong message to the AI but thats not enough, you have to show the AI who is boss, thats why i make sure i win the first 12.

sometimes i use keepers in the outfield, just to rub it in.

I am the king, its important the AI knows this

In every career there is a game that signifies the turn from mediocracy to greatness. This game is hard to spot but one has to win it if he is going to be succesful in the footballing world.

When a new career begins FM will throw the usual obstacles, most common being that it is very difficult to win a match. We have all seen AI comebacks, fake goals, red cards etc. In the past I used to cheat in the first three-four matches and AI would get subdued.

Recently though I discovered another fantastic technique. I let AI cheat for a month or two, being careful not to drift very far down the table. Then I recognise the turning point game. This is not very difficult, it is usually against an unnaturaly unbeaten team. This game I win by heavy cheating, usualy by a good margin (although that is not necessary)

And sure enough the miracle happens. No more comebacks, no more screamers or even injuries! AI realises its messing with the wrong guy! Try it at home!

Do you really believe this?

This makes sense, you are basically forcing a run of good form by cheating the results, which will help you in future matches since morale etc will be good.

Obviously for people that don't cheat, losing that 'key game' could create the start of a bad run of form.

Morale is usualy good at the beginning of the season and there are no other visible reasons of why every beginning should be bad. That does not only happen at the very beginning of a career either. I might finish 2nd above all expectations, sign only one player not to destroy the balance of the team, and sure enough I will start with poor results. I repeat, no visible reasons.

Just win 5 initial games and watch the miracle happening. Not joking.

(Don't try the turning point technique yet, it is hard to recognise the right game)

What a load of toss. Of course things will get better if you win the first five matches.

If you finish 2nd in the league above all expectation (with cheating?) it's not so weird that the second season will be harder because the opponents will be more cautious against your team, expecations and pressure will be higher etc. etc. Don't come here spewing your nonsense about being able to boss up the somehow magical AI that is trying to duke you out of your deserved wins.

Morale is usualy good at the beginning of the season and there are no other visible reasons of why every beginning should be bad. That does not only happen at the very beginning of a career either. I might finish 2nd above all expectations, sign only one player not to destroy the balance of the team, and sure enough I will start with poor results. I repeat, no visible reasons.

Do you take control of your pre season friendlies or do you let the assistant take them?

Should say I usually do well at first, then if I'm a mediocre or small team around October/November time I do badly. If it goes on I get the team captain to call a meeting and things usually improve. Then I'll struggle at the end of the season no matter how well I'm doing, but (often) a change of formation and (always) a more conservative philosophy will sort me out. I don't win everything by any means, but I do better than 'real life' managers.

Other than having perceived a certain degree of formula I don't think you have to cheat to be successful. Still, it's your game. If you enjoy it, congrats. Not everyone does.

Could be.

I found that especially when signing quite a few new players I would get a better start to the season by managing the pre season myself.

FM10 requires a good assman IMO. Especially if you don't want to attend every press conference. I tend to let him play friendlies against smaller teams and then take control of ones where I really want to see my first team having a workout.

I don't think I'm allowed to name them in this forum, but I have my favourites that I always try to sign.

Archived