THE greatest game of all time?

Seriously, just sit back and think. Not just FM08 but the series in general, it IS, the greatest game thats ever been ivented, IMHO. Just takin over a lowly club that youve never heard of, taking them to greatness.

Or even turning a top team into one so great, you just steamroller everything that lies in your path.

You just have to think sometimes, how good this game really is. Apart from a few bugs, which, really dont bother me as they do other people (i can honestly say i haven't noticed over 95% of the things these people complain about) the amount of playing time you can put into this and still be into it is astonishing.

My greatest ever game was on FM07, managing to get to 2023/2024 season. Taking Newcastle as far as i could take them, just winning everything, leaving them with over a £1 billion in the bank, the Bristol City (local team) job came up with them languishing in the bottom of league 1. with just over 4 months of the season left, i turned round the club and scraped the play-offs, getting promoted.

After a couple in the Championship, it was onto the Premiership, overcoming my Indestructible Creation, Newcastle lol, and winning the title before dominating europe over seasons to come.

Over 2 weeks playing time, and i have to say it was 2 weeks well spent lol.

I can only think of one game that comes close to FM, and thats Grand Theft Auto simply from the transition it made from the PSone to the PS2. Can't wait for GTA4's release after buying a PS3 for xmas icon_smile.gif

But not as much as FM09...

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously, just sit back and think. Not just FM08 but the series in general, it IS, the greatest game thats ever been ivented, IMHO. Just takin over a lowly club that youve never heard of, taking them to greatness.

Or even turning a top team into one so great, you just steamroller everything that lies in your path.

You just have to think sometimes, how good this game really is. Apart from a few bugs, which, really dont bother me as they do other people (i can honestly say i haven't noticed over 95% of the things these people complain about) the amount of playing time you can put into this and still be into it is astonishing.

My greatest ever game was on FM07, managing to get to 2023/2024 season. Taking Newcastle as far as i could take them, just winning everything, leaving them with over a £1 billion in the bank, the Bristol City (local team) job came up with them languishing in the bottom of league 1. with just over 4 months of the season left, i turned round the club and scraped the play-offs, getting promoted.

After a couple in the Championship, it was onto the Premiership, overcoming my Indestructible Creation, Newcastle lol, and winning the title before dominating europe over seasons to come.

Over 2 weeks playing time, and i have to say it was 2 weeks well spent lol.

I can only think of one game that comes close to FM, and thats Grand Theft Auto simply from the transition it made from the PSone to the PS2. Can't wait for GTA4's release after buying a PS3 for xmas icon_smile.gif

But not as much as FM09...

so nobody likes the game lol. Honestly, just think how good it is.

I think a good thing about it is it discovers players before you even hear about them in real life, for example Arjen Robben when he was playing for Gronigen in the game. CM 01/02 i think?

Little b*****d was pre-signed by PSV though so you couldn't get him lol.

Seriously, i wanna hear peoples opinions, plus i'm bored at work lol

C'mon mate, you MUST like the game lol. Can you honestly say it is not a well-thought out creation?

Just think of all the time and effort put in just so you can enjoy taking a your team to glory.

I am really suprised, and disappointed that no one has an opinion on this icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 6878367:

Nobody actually likes the game, its just so addictive... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think he's hit the nail on the head. Someone asked me to describe FM once, and i couldn't honestly say it was fun. Sure there are moments when it is sort of fun, but they just punctuate the frustration, but for some reason i just keep playing (or did prior to 08).

But yes, it is probably one of the best series of games, lets just hope they get back on form with 09.

alright boys, f**k off if you can't be bothered to actually talk about what i've asked. seeing as on FM07 when i first bought it, that was trhe ONLY game i started, 2weeks out of 52 doesn't really seem a lot does it?

You try and work out how many minutes, on average, that is a day. I can't be bothered, but im sure its less than 30 mins a day. No one in their right mind would play solid for 2 weeks.

You think id play for 2 weeks and wait 50 weeks for the next game to come out.

Some people need to think before they speak.

And no sirdez, because i work in a tiny office in a steel product factory, where most of the bosses are checking downstairs to make sure jobs are correct and are going out on time, Its just a habit now to put a point across that i find it funny. Do you want me to write ha ha ha ha ha ha instead? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, why do people reply to these threads if they aren't prepared to actually talk about the topic?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51 Cent:

alright boys, f**k off if you can't be bothered to actually talk about what i've asked. seeing as on FM07 when i first bought it, that was trhe ONLY game i started, 2weeks out of 52 doesn't really seem a lot does it?

You try and work out how many minutes, on average, that is a day. I can't be bothered, but im sure its less than 30 mins a day. No one in their right mind would play solid for 2 weeks.

You think id play for 2 weeks and wait 50 weeks for the next game to come out.

Some people need to think before they speak.

And no sirdez, because i work in a tiny office in a steel product factory, where most of the bosses are checking downstairs to make sure jobs are correct and are going out on time, Its just a habit now to put a point across that i find it funny. Do you want me to write ha ha ha ha ha ha instead? icon_wink.gif

Seriously, why do people reply to these threads if they aren't prepared to actually talk about the topic? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No need to resort to abuse and act like a child.

Grow up.

robert di baggio, do you watch tv? if so how long? do you watch a full program? they last 30 mins, so instead of watching a program, id play FM for half hour.

F**king hell. I haven't been on this forum for years and decided to start coming back on purely because of boredem in work, and i can see why now

Am i acting like a child? All ive asked for is people give their opinion an the greatness of the game and instead of telling me their opinion, they slag people off.

What's up with that?

If the game isn't good, why do you still play it?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by 51 Cent:

robert di baggio, do you watch tv? if so how long? do you watch a full program? they last 30 mins, so instead of watching a program, id play FM for half hour.

F**king hell. I haven't been on this forum for years and decided to start coming back on purely because of boredem in work, and i can see why now </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you're going to keep on swearing then i'm sure we'll all be delighted if you don't come back for a few years.

This forum is for all age groups - please remeber that before you start being abusive.

Am i acting like a child? All ive asked for is people give their opinion an the greatness of the game and instead of telling me their opinion, they slag people off.

What's up with that?

If the game isn't good, why do you still play it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

No one is slagging anyone off.

You started swearing - that is aginst forum rules.

And in answer to your question, i didn't say the game isn't good - FM is a very good game (except 08) - i said it isn't fun. there's a large difference.

Ok i apoligise, but you can see why I am, thats probably the first time I have sweared on here. Just gets on my nerves when people just come on here to have a go at people, when all they've done is ask a simple question like 'do you like the game', 'how are you getting on your game' etc.

And they just come in and have a go at people.

Can you see where i'm coming from?

Ok i apoligise, but you can see why I am, thats probably the first time I have sweared on here. Just gets on my nerves when people just come on here to have a go at people, when all they've done is ask a simple question like 'do you like the game', 'how are you getting on your game' etc.

And they just come in and have a go at people.

Can you see where i'm coming from? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes i can, and i appreciate it can be frustrating.

Click on the persons name and "add to ignore list" - gets rid of anyone you don't want there icon_biggrin.gif

I'd say maybe rather than the best (tho I would certainly say one of the best), the CM/FM series is the most involving.

Games like GTA, you play them and they are addictive, but you just really go along with the game as it happens.

With CM/FM, you have to put a lot of thought in. You can't just click continue and go on - you need to decide how to improve your squad, what direction tactically you are heading plus a whole lot more.

If you get addicted to most games, you just think 'i can't wait to get back playing it' where with this you start to think 'Where should I look for my next signing. What would happen if I put my midfielder a bit more attacking?'. There's virtually no end to it.

Frustrating? oh yes. Addictive? yep. Fun? probably more than you realise

neilb242 can i say thank you icon_smile.gif your the first person to actually give an opinion on the topic and completely agree with you.

Thanks to Ched (cheers mate!) i've ignored the idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people.

Anyone else got an opinion?

Sorry for double post. Just thinking, you could almost called FM an experience rather than a game?

My fave version is 00/01 mainly because thats the one I had my longest career on. At the moment I'm half enjoying 08 - many frustrating parts to it, but still keep loading it up. Maybe in 6 months, I'll look back and find I enjoyed it more than I thought.

im no noob lol, been playin since CM 01/02 lol. see why can't people be sensible like you and actually give answer to the question thats asked lol.

I can't wait till FM09 now, just to see what else they add to the game. Some people might disagree but i think the game improves every year, its just the little things that some people don't notice.

The only thing i am disappointed about is the media comment. They should implement much more variations into the game because the same comments after and before every match day start to get a little tedious and boring after a while.

Do you know of any additional comments that can be downloaded at all?

I find with the media comments, its not always the same answer you give.

e.g. when a ref disallows a goal and after the game you have to comment on it, if I put the closest to how I feel, like when its a bit dodgy but probably right, I put 'Im not happy, but can accept the decision' which becomes 'you grudgingly admit the decision was correct'. This isn't the same at all. I want to show I'm not happy but can take it on the chin. Bit annoying.

Anyway thats off topic so I'll stop before I get told off.

This is my first Football Manager game, after playing nearly all CMs up to 01/02. (computer issues). So most of this stuff is new to me. A lot of it impresses me, ther are lots of great features. But I'm not sure I want them going mad with too many new ones for 09. i'm not sure how much further they can go without it become too much of a simulation rather than a game

i think that all that needs tweaking is new and improved media interaction e.g comments and more things to say to players etc.

They say this before every game there is better media interaction but its been the same for years lol.

The confidence thing is quite good i think.

But most of all i think the best thing is something mentioned in a different thread about youth camps. I think that would be genius if they added that. But not just;

Camp-Look at player-Sign player

They should put a lot of depth into this aspect if they do add it.

Overall though, the game is fantastic but there is still more to be done.

The media comments though would take the game onto the next level because its the only reason i get bored of it, seeing the same comment before matchday, same answers, same after matchday, same comments in player interaction aswell

Hey 51Cent, even though there a lot of bugs in 08 its actually my favourite FM probably because i have a new laptop and can finally run a few leagues at once haha

I just reached 4 days game time last night, i'm doing my MSc. at the moment and have plenty of free time in between tests when my mates and Gfriend are at work like you real people so I've been playing FM. When I Tell other non-FMers they think i'm insane but it rules, i've basically stopped watchin tele.

As for my favourite game, its my current 1, i began as Ireland Manager (If they gave Stan the job I can have it lol) I'm in 2016 now and have managed Ireland(semi final euro 2008!!), France, Brazil(confederations and World cup 2014 champs), Spain(Euro 2016 semi's) and Ireland again as well as aston villa, arsenal (won the treble),Liverpool and Man City. I'm the only World Class manager left in the game.

And i will keep playing it too.

Sorry for the long post but i love this game.

sound m8, nah dont worry, long posts are good, it shows you're actually thinkin about the game icon_wink.gif

Its my birthday the day before easter so after i've booked that off, i wont be back to work until the tuesday so thats thursday to monday off. 5 days!

So after some heavy drinkin for the first few, i can 'relax' with a hangover on the sunday and monday and play, whilst my missus is a work icon_wink.gif

Good luck with ur tests mate!

*i'd give you a thumbs up but i don't know what you have to type for one lol*

I'd like to see the comments to the media having a bit less effect on players than now. Obviously, if you go and say player x is **** then he'll be a bit annoyed. But they seem to get upset at any little thing, and even when I praise them I often get it wrong.

I say Yakubu is in great form, then he moans its too easy to get praise from me. Make up yer mind!

Agreed that the confidence is a great addition. Just I think it needs to be based longer term than short term - too much rests on the current result and season. Maybe they could be done seperately, long and short term confidence?

Plus expectations are a little optimistic. I finished 4th with Everton, which although good, its not a massive surprise. But now the board thinks I should win the league within two years. Hmm. Have they not noticed what clubs stand in my way, and how much money they have?

Ya the same thing is happening to me at city now, i (brought in some of my old brazil lads and some kids from spain 21's, dragged them outta relegation and got them to 6th and now the long term goals say win the league in 2 years, which i wouldnt mind but i'm in 2nd now 12 points behind united in january and united are spending money like my ex when she got her 1st credit card and i couldnt afford a pee on the train.

yeah i admit the confidence has flaws e.g i had Arsenal away in the third round of the FA Cup when i was in league 2 with my Burton. Lost 2-1 and the fans were disappointed that i didn't create many chances lol.

C'mon, i'm playing one of the best teams in europe, away, lose by 1 goal and your disappointed haha, Sort it out fans!

FM/CM Series

GTA Series

Pro Evo Series

Zelda:Link To The Past (classic for what was available at the time)

Mario Series (was tempted to put this top, but compared to the other games....no lol)

My fave 5 in that order. Just think what games will be like in 5 years. I just can't wait until GTA 4 arrives. I might possibly have to retire from FM for a couple of months icon_frown.gif

That's a might though icon_wink.gif

While we're listing our top 5 games ever mine would be:

Final Fantasy 8

CM/FM series

Pro Evo 4

Gran Turismo 2

Tony Hawkes 2

These are the games I've spent the most time on and enjoyed the most. And all of them apart from FFVIII were enjoyed with friends.

this has turned into a nice little thread icon_smile.gif

I still don't think you can beat FM for durability/gameplay and actual involvement within the game.

Like i said, GTA comes a very close second in my eyes. But after you've completed it, the only thing you can aim towards is completing it 100%.

I personally have never done this, but my mate borrowed my game Vice City and i copied his save game onto mine icon_wink.gif

Was quality tho, you get unlimited ammo, 4 bodyguards at your house for you that you can take werever you go, was amazin. After i've completed all the missions on the games though, i get bored and start using the cheats and i've heard when you put these in, you can't 100% the game!

So i'm gonna refrain from doin this on GTA 4. I WILL 100% it, even if it takes me a year

Top 5 ever?!?!? Jesus.....

1) Sensible Soccer

2) FM/CM series

3) Rollercoaster Tycoon

4) COD 3 or 4

5) Super Mario World (NES)

Yep, some absolute classics on there!

7.0.2 is probably my all-time favourite FM/CM, though 01/-2 is up there. Hopefully, both will be overshadowed by 8.0.2, though this will be a remarkable turn-around from the completely unplayable (imo) 8.0.1.

And if i did know him, how will he ground me when i'm already dependant with, a job, car and a flat with my girlfriend.

I'm in work now, just waitin for the clock to hit 4.00

Think of people before you write next time, because you've ****ed me off

no offence mate but i haven't seen my dad since i was 6 icon_frown.gif and im now 19 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think he waqs actually going to tell your dad, mate icon_smile.gif

This threads got going now, 51 Cent, but calm down eh? You can't force people to have opinions, even though some were a bit dickish.

I think a good thing about it is it discovers players before you even hear about them in real life, for example Arjen Robben when he was playing for Gronigen in the game. CM 01/02 i think?

Seriously, i wanna hear peoples opinions, plus i'm bored at work lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So obviously Robben was heard of at the time!

Seriously, i wanna hear peoples opinions, plus i'm bored at work lol </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So obviously Robben was heard of at the time!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Little b*****d was pre-signed by PSV though so you couldn't get him lol.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">alright boys, f**k off if you can't be bothered to actually talk about what i've asked </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> F**king hell. I haven't been on this forum for years and decided to start coming back on purely because of boredem in work, and i can see why now </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Thanks to Ched (cheers mate!) i've ignored the idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your wierd kinda guy

1)Why swear with stars if you wanna say it say it and if it wound you up so much then you wouldn't have put up stars

2)There are a few "idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people" but some have a point and put it bluntly

3)Plaese don't swear i'm 14 and it makes me sad that as my english teacher would say you lack Vocbulary

4)for what i just said am i one of those "idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people"????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by princess cow goes quack:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Little b*****d was pre-signed by PSV though so you couldn't get him lol.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">alright boys, f**k off if you can't be bothered to actually talk about what i've asked </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> F**king hell. I haven't been on this forum for years and decided to start coming back on purely because of boredem in work, and i can see why now </div></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Thanks to Ched (cheers mate!) i've ignored the idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

your wierd kinda guy

1)Why swear with stars if you wanna say it say it and if it wound you up so much then you wouldn't have put up stars

2)There are a few "idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people" but some have a point and put it bluntly

3)Plaese don't swear i'm 14 and it makes me sad that as my english teacher would say you lack Vocbulary

4)for what i just said am i one of those "idiots who just come in here to downgrade other people"???? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stars are automatic! Report his posts for review! If you look at his post on the right there will be a triangle! The only way to get people to go with the rules is if the mods see it highlighted!

I basically think he is an impatient angry young man! With a stupid tendancy to lol every other sentence.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> The stars are automatic! Report his posts for review! If you look at his post on the right there will be a triangle! The only way to get people to go with the rules is if the mods see it highlighted!

I basically think he is an impatient angry young man! With a stupid tendancy to lol every other sentence. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I never knew that. Because i nevr did it before very clever though so my young eyes cant see the mostrocity and totally agree with you

P.S., princess, your name actually made me lol. Quite rare, that, but i thought it to be as surreal and daft a name as you can get.

P.P.S Read the thread through again. It's the work of a man who should converse with those at work. He asked if anyone thinks the gme is good (clue: it's the official forum, most people would deem it unnecessary to state that they like the game), and then can't believe that "nobody likes the game", and that "you MUST like the game".

I'd liken this thread to those terrace chants that go along the lines of "stand up if you love <your club>". I don't need to stand up, at my clubs ground, to prove my love, and we don't need to answer within 14 minutes (check the OP's first and second posts) to prove we like playing FM.

That may be so but is thread is still a decent question which will spark some debate, who cares if he says lol at the end of every sentence. I have a mate who used to giggle everytime he kicked a football so maybe he's a bit of a giggler in real life. Why do you care?

BTW

FM/CM series

Madden series

GTA series

KoTOR (although 2's ending licked sack)

Pro Evo

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by neilb242:

So do you guys think FM is the best series ever or are you going to continue to analyse other peoples lives?!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but such an opinion would carry more weight on, say, the FIFA forums. It just seems like a thread for the sake of a thread to me, neilb242, and the OP hasn't endeared himself by having a go and swearing away just because the whole forum hasn't put up a post declaring their love.

icon_smile.gif

Archived