Defensive Midfield Problems

Is it just me, or are all defensive midfielders shocking on the game. Im West Ham, and since i started, ive played Kovac, Paker, and recently signed Fernando Gago. But it seems at all times, theyre always making mistakes, and having poor games. Even when my team wins, my DM is usally the worst player, I thought signing Gago would solve this, but so far its only made it worse

1 defensive midfielder creates holes in the space.

No team plays with 1 defensive midfielder unless they are using a very tight formation in the centre like a Chelsea diamond or an Arsenal/Barca 4-5-1.

Real life teams either use 2 flat centre midfielders, one defensive one creative but still mainly in line or they use 2 deep lying players, usually with an anchor man and a deep lying playmaker. See Everton last season with Arteta and Neville sitting.

Problem with one defensive midfielder is if he's dragged wide then there's a huge hold in the centre because the CM is too far forward.

Try play with 2, you can still have one with more attacking instructions like RWB and RFD if you need more support up front.

Gago doesn't really have the right attributes for DM, low marking, low tackling, try a player like Anthony Annan or Sandro then you'll see how good they are

I had Sandro for all of 1 season - 4 reds numerous yellows and so many mistakes leading to goals (he had trouble settling apparently) was happy to get my money back on him at the end of the season. The fans have bever forgiven me for letting him go though despite constantly telling me they would have preffered player X to play after yet another shocking performance by Sandro.

Miguel Veloso and Sissoko do a very good job for me in Juventus. But I'm focusing alot and alot on midfield play, thats part of my strategy style. Wingbacks are the only players who really are on the edges of the field. Well, the attackers likes to slip to the corners too but...

I've not had a problem, no. They both got good tackling rating and passing rating. And I got a promising youngster learning from Sissoko, so the knowledge of good defensive mf wont be lost with their retirements :=)

Archived