NTL Patch

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ptfc_kev:

I normally subscribe to the school of thought of ask first rather than just randomly email icon_wink.gif. However, Ive emailed the lad who seems to have the patch. Hopefully that will work. Suppose this thread can just be closed now.... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try subcribing to the "school of reading forum rules" first, it helps.

In all seriousness threads like this arent needed, just takes a bit of common sense to help the mods keep this forum tidy & easy to access for regualar users

I swear to god Im going to kill someone.

Me and a friend fancied a network game. Ive never done it before and seeing as how Ive have my band broadened to 1MB (NTL obv. ) I said I'll host. Came in here for some brief instructions and noticed this thread.

So I download that 14MB file. 'Do you wnat to replace yada yada with blah blah'. Clicked yes. Downloads. Attempted to start the game by clicking on said .exe, 'Cannot find data folder!'

"Here we go......"

Clicked on my desktop FM icon (the non-tainted exe icon_mad.gif ) and the game starts. Nice one. I go to Network, hit New Game (Prem only, 5.0.5 etc) and it loads up. Before even adding a manager, I go to Preferences and select the 'Run as Server' option, just naming it randomly.

Click continue, and that was it. Full-on freeze for about 15 minutes until I ctrl+alt+del the whole thing off.

Now, here is the good bit. Hours later, I start the game again and attempt to load my 6 season-long saved game. I set it off loading and put the kettle on. Come back 5 mins later and its frozen again - just on the menu screen with the mouse pointer as the football.

Please, for the love of god, someone tell me what the hell is going on.

i dont think your games ruined, it just seems that you didnt install the .exe correctly and thus it still loadin up by the old .exe. If you untick run as server with the old exe your saved games and that should work again.

To start over, just reinstall the 5.05 patch and then any data updates you have

Then try installing the new .exe again.

Ok i can see that you are frustrated. This is what i suggest for a fail safe install and network game.

Uninstall fm05.

Making sure you back up any saved games tactics etc onto cd prior to this.

So uninstall fm06, then go into your program files and delete the sports interactive folder, go into my documents and dleete the sports interactive folder in there aswell.

Run any reg cleaner utility, Norton systemworks, or tuneup utilities , reg mechanic etc.

Reinstall fm05 onto c:

repatch the game with 5.05

then copy and paste the exe i have put up for dowmload over the fm exe in the fm05 directory.

Dont concern yourself with having to click into the fmo5 folder to start a game. Any shortcuts on your desktop will auto target this new exe anyhow.

then start a new game with run as server ticked.

The above is failsafe. I have ntl broadband and can host no problem with this specially patched exe where i couldnt before.

If you still are having problems after this i would suggest looking at your machine build|O/S build as its likely to be problem outwith FM05

cheers icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Click continue, and that was it. Full-on freeze for about 15 minutes until I ctrl+alt+del the whole thing off.

Now, here is the good bit. Hours later, I start the game again and attempt to load my 6 season-long saved game. I set it off loading and put the kettle on. Come back 5 mins later and its frozen again - just on the menu screen with the mouse pointer as the football. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just to make it clear this is exactly what happens to everyone with ntl without the fix. Whenever run as server is ticked it will freeze just as its finished loading. Hence the need for the fix

Thanks for the replies, fellas.

This is not the first time that NTL have inadvertantly ruined my day, heh.

To be honest, I'd rather sack off the whole idea of a network game than uninstall etc as I have loads of graphics stuff in there that took me ages to compile plus several saved game. I dont have a blank CD on me either. If needs must I'll copy them in to a back-up folder and get on with it.

What I will do now is load it up and uncheck the run as server. I didnt know that this would still be activated after I had exited and then attempted an old game.

All I wanna do now is just play the game on my own. My bro freaked when I told him this morning that I had 'destroyed champ man'.

Cheers again mates icon_smile.gif

icon_rolleyes.gif

I need to read this online forum more "NTL patch" So not being able to help hosting was the games fault after all. Well I hope this patch is worked into FM06 as I’m hoping to help out with hosting

Thanks for posting the patch, I haven't tried it yet but I have everything crossed. I've been trying to solve this problem for months now. I don't understand why the 'NTL' Patch was not made available earlier. I've not played any Network Play THIS YEAR. Me and my mate have been gutted.

PS Anyone actually techie that knows why this bug happens????

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mgtlmgtl:

but you can host without the patch installed i could host with the first few updates and when 5.0.5 come out i could not host anymore </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

As i said, ports or something.

FM06 works fine mate. just tested it online as I was effected in FM05

Which still annoys me as the whole NTL patch was treated like a cloak and dagger roll out and to me showed that some needed to smell the coffee and wake up with a brain cell. icon_rolleyes.gif

I don’t even know if the walk around was even done officially.

I know what you feared but its ok.

• 2 weeks later...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by idiakezisgod:

what about those with a router running on a network card not the router pc i need help finding the modem IP many thanks matt icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am adding you to msn, i will tell you how.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by WainieTheGeordie:

I cant play 2006 on ntl, hopefully there'll be a patch available soon? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

On NTL and hosting, no problems. Ithink you mihjt want to look at firewalls etc.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

on FM06 i cannot play a network game every time i click network game fm06 crashes and it says is not responding i am on NTL. i am on patch 6.0.3 or wateva it is any help would be grateful cheers

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Why this is still stickied i do not know

THERE IS NO NTL PROBLEM ON FM06

If you have a problem, its you-specific. While NTL may be a company of incompetent fools offering a cheap, basic and flawed service, it doesnt affect fm any more. You may be on NTL and have a problem, but that your network provider is no irrelevant.

Unless you have AOL, thats just weird

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is the exact same problem I have with FM2006 at the moment. I'm on Tesco but yet I have the same problem. What should I do? Even when I start a new game it freezes.

Archived