Maybe someone can explain. How does FM know what a highlight will be?

hey,

It's a question i've been pondering for a while now, sorry if there's a really simple answer to it.

but how does the game when u click 'view highlights' know what is going to be a highlight when it's supposed to be live? it makes the game feel a little scripted to me at the moment not knowing the answer to the question.

anyone clear it up?

No offense, but I don't think that is how it works. The game PROBABLY uses a threshold code that states 'if any play (X) is created; then highlight (of X) will result. It uses if-then statements. Basic coding...

Nup, lance is right. It's all calculated at the beginning and reassessed if a change is made.

Nup, lance is right. It's all calculated at the beginning and reassessed if a change is made.

It would be awfully difficult to "calculate" something like this from the beginning since there are so many inputs that you as the "User" are allowed to make. I am going to need a more in-depth explanation before I can accept this as the coded standard for the game.

It would be awfully difficult to "calculate" something like this from the beginning since there are so many inputs that you as the "User" are allowed to make. I am going to need a more in-depth explanation before I can accept this as the coded standard for the game.

Do you not notice that everyime you make a change a small gray box comes up saying something along the lines of it calculating the match?

Do you not notice that everyime you make a change a small gray box comes up saying something along the lines of it calculating the match?

That doesn't mean the game is now "recalculating." If that were the case, you could 'quick sim' the game like in FIFA Manager because it wouldn't matter about most of the inputs you provided...

To settle this, I would love to hear SI weigh in on this issue. You guys might be right but it doesn't sound like any code I have come across...

The description above is correct. The game makes a calculation about the outcome based on a large number of predetermined parameters like teams, abilities, reputation, formations, team talks etc. Thus it will know when a highlight is due. As soon as you make a change, however small, it will recalculate the outcome again and so on. It follows therefore that you as the user can effect the outcome by tactical changes, touchline shouts, subs etc

The description above is correct. The game makes a calculation about the outcome based on a large number of predetermined parameters like teams, abilities, reputation, formations, team talks etc. Thus it will know when a highlight is due. As soon as you make a change, however small, it will recalculate the outcome again and so on. It follows therefore that you as the user can effect the outcome by tactical changes, touchline shouts, subs etc

Thankyou for this.

I both accept and agree with this statement. The ME does not, though, use some measure of predeterminism. This is because you, as the user, are REQUIRED to make AT LEAST ONE INPUT to affect the outcome of the game once you have started it. This comes at half-time when you decide your 'team talk.' That itself is an input variable that has an effect on the outcome. Trust me, it uses if-then statements in its calculations, ala its choice in highlights...

I both accept and agree with this statement. The ME does not, though, use some measure of predeterminism. This is because you, as the user, are REQUIRED to make AT LEAST ONE INPUT to affect the outcome of the game once you have started it. This comes at half-time when you decide your 'team talk.' That itself is an input variable that has an effect on the outcome. Trust me, it uses if-then statements in its calculations, ala its choice in highlights...

So you're saying it does use predeterminism. At the commencement of the second half the final result is already calculated unless you make a tactical change.

At the start of the match, it calculates until half time. At the start of the second half, it calculates until full time. It also re-calculates whenever either manager makes a change.

Source: Paul Collyer, match engine writer in chief.

I included the half time team talk in my grouping of small changes- if you didnt say anything at half time or make any changes throughout the game, the game would be calculated from minute 1 without interruption.

The AI team makes changes too, and even saying "None" is saying something.

Well, yes, you are both correct. But that is not the same as saying the game calculates the outcome without any possible inputs that affect that outcome...

It still uses user inputs and if-then statements to determine highlights. The if-then statement determines if the play has passed a certain threshold to become a highlight...

I included the half time team talk in my grouping of small changes- if you didnt say anything at half time or make any changes throughout the game, the game would be calculated from minute 1 without interruption.

This could well explain why one of the best team talks when winning at half time is to say nothing.

Well, yes, you are both correct. But that is not the same as saying the game calculates the outcome without any possible inputs that affect that outcome...

It still uses user inputs and if-then statements to determine highlights. The if-then statement determines if the play has passed a certain threshold to become a highlight...

No one said that "the game calculates the outcome without any possible inputs that affect that outcome".

This could well explain why one of the best team talks when winning at half time is to say nothing.

Team talks mainly end in disaster for some reason, especially do it for the fans. Its like they then purposley dont do it for the fans. lol

Only if you have not chosen to have your asst. mgr. handle team talks. Otherwise, it becomes a variable that causes an input change...

No one said that "the game calculates the outcome without any possible inputs that affect that outcome".

Please allow me to reframe my comment. I wanted to make certain that everybody understood that a game like this naturally uses a code that allows for any play above a certain threshold to be considered a highlight. I don't specifically disagree with previous posters; only with the choice of words which suggests that the game picks-and-chooses which plays to include as highlights...

I'm afraid your wrong sean. From what's been previously mentioned anyway.

How do you think the commentary matches what's happening on pitch? It's because the game is pre calculated. And re calculates with every change you make.

Injuries are pre calculated as are all ai subs

Please see my reply to James. I wanted to amplifly my comments because I did not clearly state what I meant in my original comments.

No offense, but I don't think that is how it works. The game PROBABLY uses a threshold code that states 'if any play (X) is created; then highlight (of X) will result. It uses if-then statements. Basic coding...

I don't think there would be any problem with the game being coded like this, but is just not the way it is done... Apparently, it is actually insanely fast to calculate everything that goes on in a whole FM match... If you do not believe, just look at how fast the game is able to calculate in full detail the matches we DO NOT see.

I don't think there would be any problem with the game being coded like this, but is just not the way it is done... Apparently, it is actually insanely fast to calculate everything that goes on in a whole FM match... If you do not believe, just look at how fast the game is able to calculate in full detail the matches we DO NOT see.

That alone does not mean that what we see as highlights are not the result of some 'if-then' coding that interprets all events above a certain threshold as highlights. I ammended my other points; so I think we are in agreement there.

Archived