Spybot warnings

I use Spybot Search and Destroy to protect from malware etc. When installing FM2010, everything runsd fine until I get to the screen saying that it is being configured for my system.

A file is then created in my Temp folder (C:\Users\JPJW\AppData\Local\Temp) called DXA2E3.tmp. I assume this has something to do with direct x by the name. However, when this happens, spybot pops up and informs me that malicious software is running from this new folder. multiple processes are blocked and the associated files deleted.

The filename is given as infinst.exe and identified by the program as Fraud.SoftCop.

I have tried to run full virus scans on my computer and emptied the temp files, then reinstalled the game but the problem reoccured.

The installation is said to be complete with errors occuring (I dont know where the installation log is to find the details that it suggests).

I'm curious as to whether I should allow the processes to run?

Thanks

I use Spybot Search and Destroy to protect from malware etc. When installing FM2010, everything runsd fine until I get to the screen saying that it is being configured for my system.

A file is then created in my Temp folder (C:\Users\JPJW\AppData\Local\Temp) called DXA2E3.tmp. I assume this has something to do with direct x by the name. However, when this happens, spybot pops up and informs me that malicious software is running from this new folder. multiple processes are blocked and the associated files deleted.

The filename is given as infinst.exe and identified by the program as Fraud.SoftCop.

I have tried to run full virus scans on my computer and emptied the temp files, then reinstalled the game but the problem reoccured.

The installation is said to be complete with errors occuring (I dont know where the installation log is to find the details that it suggests).

I'm curious as to whether I should allow the processes to run?

Thanks

Since you are installing the legitimate game, I would allow it to run without using Spybot.

JPJW, if you purchased a legitimate copy, I suspect your anti-spyware-software is simply giving you a false positive.

I've done this to myself, honestly - my anti-virus for a while insisted that a complicated Excel spreadsheet which *I'd made myself* was a virus. :D

The specific answer is: both anti-virus and anti-spyware use heuristics to identify possible viruses and spyware based on characteristics which resemble previously-identified viruses and spyware. Its better for that heuristic to warn you about a possible virus which isn't one, than to fail to warn you about a file which is a virus.

So, when it gives you that warning, ask yourself: "Do I trust the source"?

Your answer should depend on a couple of things:

Do I trust SI not to have embedded spyware in their program?

Yes? Okay, do I trust Sega not to have embedded spyware in the installation process?

Yes? Okay, do I trust the source which I purchased it from to have given me the exact disc which SI and Sega shipped - (as opposed to a pirate copy, which can appear in distribution channels).

Yes?

Okay, ignore the warning and instruct the anti-spyware to ignore that file.

No?

Don't install, delete everything, demand a refund from the store in question, and purchase from a different store.

Hope that helps you answer this for yourself - and I do hope you get to enjoy the game!

(Incidentally, that possibility is why I don't purchase games from bargain-hunt-shops; it is usually not legitimate to be advertising and selling a game for a significantly different price from other shops .. it can be a warning sign that there are pirated copies in the distribution channel.)

Archived