Wants a new challenge.

Has anyone ever got a player to sign a new contract after he "Wants a new challenge"? I have tried making him Captain, offering 125,000/week Key Player. Nothing is acceptable. All I can do is sell him before he goes on Frt. This is particularly annoying if the player is 5 or 6 stars because I'd have to buy him back the following season for a highly inflated amount.

But I have noticed that players from AI teams sign a new contract and is happy after a few weeks of being "Wants a new challenge". Is the AI cheating? Or am I doing something wrong? Every season I get 2-3 first team players wanting a new challenge, despite winning many trophies.

Has anyone ever got a player to sign a new contract after he "Wants a new challenge"? I have tried making him Captain, offering 125,000/week Key Player. Nothing is acceptable. All I can do is sell him before he goes on Frt. This is particularly annoying if the player is 5 or 6 stars because I'd have to buy him back the following season for a highly inflated amount.

But I have noticed that players from AI teams sign a new contract and is happy after a few weeks of being "Wants a new challenge". Is the AI cheating? Or am I doing something wrong? Every season I get 2-3 first team players wanting a new challenge, despite winning many trophies.

After many seasons and sustained success at the highest level, some of my players began to want a new challenge. They were getting on a bit (late twenties) and had achieved all that they wanted, so I thought it would be best for both parties if they left. Maybe give it a couple of months and offfer him another contract. Don't forget money talks!!! :)

I had that issue with Mertesacker in one of my past saves with Werder Bremen. Luckily for me, when he mentioned that he wanted a new challenge there was still 3 years left on his contract that allowed me plenty of time to confront the issue without selling immediately. Many clubs were interested and I continued to hold out for 50m, getting close at times (40m from Barca). That saga went on for two seasons until the deal finally went through for 50m.

So in my experience, I haven't been able to convince a player to stay with a new contract, but I have been able to delay the process, winning trophies in the meantime with that player's help and eventually collecting 50m. Not bad business.

I know how it works. I resign my players at the end of every season on new 5 year contracts to prevent the "May want a new challenge in the future"s from becoming "Wants a new challenge".

Sometimes they beat me to it and Wants a new challenge during their first year of a new re-signed contract. So it's a juggle to sell a 5-6 star player or keep him for 2-3 years in a 5 year contract on Unh and destablising the squad. Money doesnt talk. While a player is on Unh he will never accept a new contract. Yet the AI teams seem to have no problems in re-signing players. The only time an Unh player accepts a contract is when he "Wants an improved contract".

The unrealistic thing is I sell a player and buy him back the following season and he's happy as if he's never been with the club before to be bored with it in the first place.

It's a valid point that I've not really considered much, but it's definitely something that needs tweaking. Player unhappiness causes a lot of FMers grief, and there shouldn't be dodgy work arounds (like selling and buying back) as opposed to genuine things you can do to get the player to stay. There should at least be one more option other than trying to give them a bigger contract.

When you play long games, it starts to become annoying as every season 3-4 first team players want to leave.

It is ok if they are approaching 30s but for players to come through the ranks from 16 years old and at 24 to be 5-6 stars and you have to sell them because of this problem is extremely frustrating. I'd understand if they want to move to bigger clubs, but this is never the case. I sell a player to Fulham for 15-20 mil, next season have to buy him back for 40-50 mil.

Archived