FM2007 Handheld First Impressions

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AndyCole:

Are there major differences in gameplay from last year's version? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gameplay has evolved considerably from last years version - there's a list of new features on the softography page if you're after detailed info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Glad you're enjoying the game icon_biggrin.gif

(out of interest which of the new skins are people using?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FMH skin currently, brilliant brilliant game icon_biggrin.gif Took me a few minutes to get hang of the controls though accidentally released Park on a free lmao! Every time someone scores I stat signing their chant brill game guys icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc Vaughan:

Glad you're enjoying the game icon_biggrin.gif

(out of interest which of the new skins are people using?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Flexion. Will try the others eventually aswell.

oh no...

5 secs (literally) into a-league (australia) season and already a bug...

"...expect the team to achieve promotion this year"

Promotion to what!?

I can perhaps see how this error may have come up, with the finals series prehaps being seen as the next division or something, but it is fairly poor. icon13.gif

Anyways, apart from that im fairly happy with the new one. Definitely easy on the eye, using flexion atm and melb victory look good for the title. Thanks guys good job icon14.gif ,just gotta iron out a few minor issues in the next version... icon_wink.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rayer:

what did you have to upgrade the firmware too 2.7, 2.81 or 3.0 ? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its been confirmed in the thread you started earlier asking about this that it works on 2.71SE-B. So it either uses 2.8 or 2.71.

(the exact firmware version is done by Sony if you wondered why I'm not 100% certain myself at the moment - will check on the UMD tomorrow when I get a chance)

Do you know what the commentary has been added like more fights on the pitch or more good things like your star player is playing Ronaldiniho saying " and it looks like Carl Cort is making the midfielders like spectators" or something like that?.

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jamiescfc2006:

Do you know what the commentary has been added like more fights on the pitch or more good things like your star player is playing Ronaldiniho saying " and it looks like Carl Cort is making the midfielders like spectators" or something like that?. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's more feedback generally (ie. the Carl Cort type thing you indicated) but also generally the commentary has been spruced up and improved.

Sorry I can't detail it fully - but there are around 300-400 new bits and it'd be quite a long list icon_wink.gif

marc, any way to stop players getting ridiculously tired in 'off-season'? I had champions league matches and had players on an average of 40%, some into the teens%. i put everyone into training with 'none' set for all areas but had little if any diff on their condition... as u would expect i mostly got beaten against lesser teams

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chuz:

marc, any way to stop players getting ridiculously tired in 'off-season'? I had champions league matches and had players on an average of 40%, some into the teens%. i put everyone into training with 'none' set for all areas but had little if any diff on their condition... as u would expect i mostly got beaten against lesser teams </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you pls indicate the league, season and team you're using and I'll check this later.

Started playing way back on CM 01-02 right upto FM2007 on the PC, so was slightly pesimistic that handheld would hold my attention. Very pleased to say that i am completely hooked, just as much as on PC version. Amazing how much gameplay has been cramed into something that fits into your pocket!

Ive been completely hooked.

To be completely honest though, i still think theres way too much missing. I know its scaled down for handheld and theres no way you can expect as much but it feels as though theres too much missing and it feels way less involving than the full pc version.

my point is that theres very little you can do outside of games. Transfers are VERY basic as is media interaction, to which you can only answer when asked, and even then only with the options of positive, negative or no comments. no player trades, or even transfer conditions and options, etc, etc.

Im not trying to be a moaner, im just being honest. Im still brutally addicted, just not as satisfied with the experience as i had hoped. I hope next years version can make a much bigger leap than from 06 to this, otherwise i'll just stick with this one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chuz:

marc, any way to stop players getting ridiculously tired in 'off-season'? I had champions league matches and had players on an average of 40%, some into the teens%. i put everyone into training with 'none' set for all areas but had little if any diff on their condition... as u would expect i mostly got beaten against lesser teams </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can you pls indicate the league, season and team you're using and I'll check this later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After my first season in the aussie A league I had this problem in the asian champion league. Non of my players were fit for my games. They were all around the 50% mark. Also I beat newcastle jets in the semi final of the post season and I still had to play them in the final as opposed to the team who won the other semi final which I assume is a bug and not my misunderstanding of the aussie league.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Taffaz:

Can you pls indicate the league, season and team you're using and I'll check this later. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

After my first season in the aussie A league I had this problem in the asian champion league. Non of my players were fit for my games. They were all around the 50% mark. Also I beat newcastle jets in the semi final of the post season and I still had to play them in the final as opposed to the team who won the other semi final which I assume is a bug and not my misunderstanding of the aussie league. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Finals format in the Aussie league is different from the rest of the world, it is not knock out.

The top 2 teams from the regular season play, and the winner goes straight to the grand final. The loser of this game has another chance of reaching the grandfinal by playing the winner of the 3rd vs 4th game.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Berks86:

The Finals format in the Aussie league is different from the rest of the world, it is not knock out.

The top 2 teams from the regular season play, and the winner goes straight to the grand final. The loser of this game has another chance of reaching the grandfinal by playing the winner of the 3rd vs 4th game. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh right. I must have missed the screen with the fixture. Cheers for the info.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Go0n3r:

Ive been completely hooked.

To be completely honest though, i still think theres way too much missing. I know its scaled down for handheld and theres no way you can expect as much but it feels as though theres too much missing and it feels way less involving than the full pc version.

my point is that theres very little you can do outside of games. Transfers are VERY basic as is media interaction, to which you can only answer when asked, and even then only with the options of positive, negative or no comments. no player trades, or even transfer conditions and options, etc, etc.

Im not trying to be a moaner, im just being honest. Im still brutally addicted, just not as satisfied with the experience as i had hoped. I hope next years version can make a much bigger leap than from 06 to this, otherwise i'll just stick with this one. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I totally agree. Yes it's been tweaked and feels better overall, but the changes are apparently all "under the hood" and it feels virtually the same as last years version.

I would have thought tactics editing, player interaction, staff management would have been implemented, at least in a very basic form. Is this really the limit that can be reached on a PSP or is it just a cynical cash-in?

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I totally agree. Yes it's been tweaked and feels better overall, but the changes are apparently all "under the hood" and it feels virtually the same as last years version. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its an evolution of last years - imho its a much more mature game and the feel of it is much better, there are some pretty major additions imho - network gaming, international management, media interaction (there was none last year), fog of war etc.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I would have thought tactics editing, player interaction, staff management would have been implemented, at least in a very basic form. Is this really the limit that can be reached on a PSP or is it just a cynical cash-in? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It definitely isn't a cynical 'cash in' - we put a lot of love and graft into it, pls do try and bear in mind there are only 2 1/2 people working on this product (I split my time between this and the PC game leaving only Richard and Martin as the full time developers on the project - bearing in mind its nearly a full-time job for one person updating competitions that isn't a heck of a lot of people).

We can and will continue pushing things forward with future versions of the game, but I think this one is pretty solid and playable - I'm enjoying it anyway icon_wink.gif

I agree, although its clearly a very good game, there is still far too much missing. For instance, how can a serious management game not allow you to choose the penalty taker?!!

Marc regarding the low staffing levels, although this is a fair comment, its also not the fault of gamers and they are still expected to pay a full price, regardless of how many people are working on the product.

Media interaction is virtually nil, interaction with your players is virtually nil, transfers are fairly inflexible, and custom tactics are non existent.

I dont think that this is anything more than a v2 of FMH06, which is a shame. The foundations are there for an outstanding game, but its little more than a skeleton at the moment I'm afraid.

I to was a little dissapointed with this game. It is very decent dont get me wrong, but yes the no interaction with players is annoying as is the simplicity of the transfers. Dnt think the coaches view on players is accurate enough either.

Suppose we should realise that no way can they squeeze everything on to a psp. Choice of penalty takers would indeed be nice tho icon_wink.gif

Its an evolution of last years - imho its a much more mature game and the feel of it is much better, there are some pretty major additions imho - network gaming, international management, media interaction (there was none last year), fog of war etc. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Those additions while worthy don't get me excited in the least and would be bottom of my wishlist. It seems that a lot of the annoying things have been cleaned up although I did get Steve Basham praising me twice in succession, so even the news bugs haven't been totally ironed out. Had the PC/Xbox version had as few enhancements as this there would be an outcry.

Don't get me wrong, i'm loving the game but was expecting much more.

I have to say I too am a little disappointed by the lack of new additions. My major worry is that SI are getting too caught up with extreme realism and forgetting about the fun factor. It's not SI's fault that there are now transfer windows in the real world but without the ability to buy players throughout the season there needs to be something to stop the game from feeling like a repetitive clickfest.

More feedback on what you're doing right or wrong from your staff would help and more information on the opposition would be good too. For example there's no way to know if the opposition defence are playing deep or high up the pitch so no way of knowing how to set up your tactics and what players to choose.

The transfer window unlock is a great idea and one of the reasons I was so desperate for FM06. I thought it might be just like CM00/01. But the actual transfer market is pretty dull with never much going on. And it's still too hard to get shot of players. Please let us manually reduce their value like we could in the old days.

Ultimately the game degenrates into a succession of games where the only involvement the player has is in rotating the squad to keep players fresh. Once you've discovered a decent tactic there's nothing else to do except wait for January or the season finale if your team is good enough to be involved. There needs to be more reasons to to keep the player interested both during matches and in between matches. At the moment it's still the best portable management game by miles but it could also be so much better and most importantly so much more FUN.

marc, any word on the poor conditions in off-season?

has cost me qualification in asian champions league this season icon_frown.gif

Had to start a player with 12% cond, also does condition affect injury likeliness? in one game i had 3 simultaneous injuries in 4th minute (used all 3 subs) then another in 30th minute so down to 10 men for remainder of game...

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">marc, any word on the poor conditions in off-season? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Looking into it.

Well, i have to say, after 1 season in charge of Manchester United, the game is AWESOME. Though i came 4th in the Premier League, i won the Champions League and came runner up in the League Cup.

I am expecting to be good enough for a Internationasl team by Euro 2008.

I like the new skins as well, prefer Flexion though to the others (i guess 17 seasons as Manchester United on FMH06 got me bored of that skin.

Archived