FM2008 Question

Good afternoon fella's, just wondering im at work at the moment and we have not got any drives on our systems, ive got a USB Memory Stick, can you put football manager on it and play it that way without installing the CD onto the machine?

not really, ive got FM2008, what im thinking is installing it on my home computer, then putting the files on the flash drive and taking it to work, nothing illegal about it.

Originally posted by Fino:

not really, ive got FM2008, what im thinking is installing it on my home computer, then putting the files on the flash drive and taking it to work, nothing illegal about it.

No, he means to run the game without the CD would require the use of illegal software.

The only option to run the game without a CD is purchasing the digital download version (of WWSM) which is only available to customers in North America I believe or you can purchase FM from Steam.

lol think im gonna have to now, suppose the boss wont be too happy if caught! :p, if any1 does stumble across how to do it, please post!

Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coolbananas:

But surely its not illegal if you own a copy of the game?

No. It's not illegal then but if he doesn't use the disk and he can play the game, then it's illegal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing without the disc is definately not illegal if you own the game. You just won't be able to open the game.

Downloading a 'Crack' to help open the game when you don't have a disc though would be illegal.

what i was thinking was install the full game on my home computer, then transfer all the setup folders ect onto my USB Memory Stick which is 8GB so more than enough space, then just run the FM.exe file but then again u still need the disk even when installed so i think its virtually impossible to do legally. Never mind ill have to work icon_frown.gif.

still here pal, suppose to work till 8:30 but ive had enough and the weather is nice so gonna go out for a nice meal and a few pints with the missus!!.

Originally posted by Ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by coolbananas:

No. It's not illegal then but if he doesn't use the disk and he can play the game, then it's illegal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Playing without the disc is definately not illegal if you own the game Playing without the disc is definately not illegal if you own the game. You just won't be able to open the game.

Downloading a 'Crack' to help open the game when you don't have a disc though would be illegal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely untrue. Any circumvention of the copy-protect software is illegal, whether you own the game or not.

Originally posted by Fino:

what i was thinking was install the full game on my home computer, then transfer all the setup folders ect onto my USB Memory Stick which is 8GB so more than enough space, then just run the FM.exe file but then again u still need the disk even when installed so i think its virtually impossible to do legally. Never mind ill have to work icon_frown.gif.

It won't work - when the game installs it does things to the registry. If you try to run it on a PC without those registry entries it won't work.

Originally posted by Glyn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ridleys:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frazza Pee:

Playing without the disc is definately not illegal if you own the game Playing without the disc is definately not illegal if you own the game. You just won't be able to open the game.

Downloading a 'Crack' to help open the game when you don't have a disc though would be illegal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Completely untrue. Any circumvention of the copy-protect software is illegal, whether you own the game or not. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

So taking the disc out halfway through and carrying on playing would be illegal, that was my point. Not explained very well.

Originally posted by Glyn:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Fino:

It won't work - when the game installs it does things to the registry. If you try to run it on a PC without those registry entries it won't work. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd say that's probably partly untrue.

I've formatted C:\ before, and left FM installed on D:\ and then simply ran FM after re-installing windows and it was fine.

Installing a patch might have difficulties as it can't find the original install

Archived