Problems with Snow Leopard?

From my early testing, looks like it still runs like a champ.

Processing seems to be a little quicker, but actual match day and games are still just as fluid.

If you were afraid to update to Snow Leopard because of FM09, I wouldn't worry about it, looks like it works just fine.

Araenal2111, not sure what you mean. Why would I wait until FM2010, I don't understand the question.

No worries. I only wish I'd had the day off today to really explore Snow Leopard today.

As I understand it, most features are unseen and in the background.

I did see a marked improvement in available space though.

Prior to installation I had nearl 3.5 Gb of space, afterwards, I had nearly 15 Gb remaining!

There really shouldn't be much difference, it effectively an expensive service pack after all.

The HDD footprint is indeed reduced, although with more and more PC's packing half a terabyte these days it'ds hardly a marketing point.

I suspect Indi75 hasn't played FM on Snow Leopard, and is just guessing that there isn't much difference. Believe me, there is! Loading and processing FM is undoubtedly faster.

Snow Leopard hasn't changed the world, but it's certainly improved an already good OS!

From my early testing, looks like it still runs like a champ.

Processing seems to be a little quicker, but actual match day and games are still just as fluid.

If you were afraid to update to Snow Leopard because of FM09, I wouldn't worry about it, looks like it works just fine.

Araenal2111, not sure what you mean. Why would I wait until FM2010, I don't understand the question.

That's great news.

You live in Little Rock? So do I, eerie.... I thought I was the only person in Little Rock who knew what FM was.

LOL @ "expensive service pack". Obviously a pc user who knows nothing of what the actual upgrade does. "Grand Central Dispatch" and OpenCl is not just a patch. As for small er HDD is hardly a marketing option? Not on regular sluggish 5400 or 7200 rpm drives, but when you're talking fast SSD drives that top out at 256GB (anymore is way to pricey) then an extra 5GB of space is well worth it.

I find FM is running faster on Snow Leopard - anyone else agree? Loading the application is certainly quicker, but I find the actual processing much faster.
LOL @ "expensive service pack". Obviously a pc user who knows nothing of what the actual upgrade does. "Grand Central Dispatch" and OpenCl is not just a patch. As for small er HDD is hardly a marketing option? Not on regular sluggish 5400 or 7200 rpm drives, but when you're talking fast SSD drives that top out at 256GB (anymore is way to pricey) then an extra 5GB of space is well worth it.
That's great news.

You live in Little Rock? So do I, eerie.... I thought I was the only person in Little Rock who knew what FM was.

Nope, you're not the only one. I actually live on Cabot, but put Little Rock since it's the nearest "big town".

Good to see I'm not the only fan here in Arkansaw!

Nope, you're not the only one. I actually live on Cabot, but put Little Rock since it's the nearest "big town".

Good to see I'm not the only fan here in Arkansaw!

Wow, being that I live in Cabot as well, you just might be my neighbor.

Calling it an expensive service pack isn't exactly doing it justice, not that anyone can really complain at the price of £25 for a new OS.
There is way more to Snow Leopard than a service pack. I am seeing a considerable improvement in processing in FM.
I suspect Indi75 hasn't played FM on Snow Leopard, and is just guessing that there isn't much difference. Believe me, there is! Loading and processing FM is undoubtedly faster.

Snow Leopard hasn't changed the world, but it's certainly improved an already good OS!

I haven't played it on Snow Leopard as both my production machines, laptop and desktop are Windows 7 at moment. The girlfriends Macbook get's used for the occasional review of all things Apple, and in due course I might see what FM runs like before and after the upgrade. If processing is faster, great, makes me wonder why Apple didn't make these changes earlier.

As for the upgrade there are curiously no major new end user features worth noting, which explains the "service pack" claim above.

Yes, it supports MS Exchange now, but that won't impact most Mac users.

Snow Leopard is just refinements that Apple said weren't needed when first released, so while Snow Leopard is priced ok for up to date Mac users who paid through the nose each year to upgrade to the latest OS release, or even more to just buy a new Mac which Apple prefers, it's going to cost the average user a lot more for a full package that also includes iLife 09 (which is useful) and iWork 09 (which is useless).

Apple, as usual, are leaving older Mac users behind, and are simply using the OS "Service Packs" to try to make sure that older Mac users have to buy new Macs at some point. When 10.4 was released, any Mac that did not have a built in USB and Firewire ports got dropped. For 10.5, all PowerPC G3 systems and G4's below 800Mhz were dropped. The iLife release just after an OS release cynically usually has the same system requirements as the most recent OS.

If you are a previous-generation Tiger OS X user that's the only way that you can get Snow Leopard, and even then that's only for those on Intel-based Macs. If you don;t want to buy a new Mac, you can't have Snow Leopard. Frankly, that's tinpot pishwilly poor.

Shortly, Apple will start to use this ripoff strategem to force iPhone users to get better iPhone models. If you look closely at the iPhone Terms of Service it appears that the original iPhone model will not be able to run iPhone OS 4.0 when that comes out, and a similar tack is being taken with iPod's. Your 1st Gen iPod Touch will only be allowed 1 upgrade. The third upgrade will force a hardware upgrade. It really should be illegal, but again, noone seems to notice. I'm waiting to see if my Zune 80 can be upgraded to Zune 4.0 software, when Zune HD goes live, I'll be stroppy as hell if I have to upgrade my hardware just to get the newest OS.

The fact that Apple isn't supporting upgrades from machines that were sold as recently as two and a half years ago is important, and doesn't get enough attention. It's as if the small Mac community is happy to be ripped off rather than force Apple to cater properly for it's user base.

I'll likely end up upgrading her Mac with this pack, but it just seems a rip off as I'l bet the next OS requires her to buy a new machine. The cycle continues, and people continue to pay. so what seems like a cheap OS now, is in fact an expensive service pack in my opinion, and blighted by the knowledge that the subsequent upgrade will almost certainly exclude any Mac over 2 years old.

Anyway, I've rambled. In case you haven't noticed I don't like paying for things that should have been right in the first place. Ok, so Finder has been also brought into the 21st century and rewritten and is evidently quicker and more responsive but if Microsoft had the temerity to ship a mostly-64-bit OS that utilized a 32-bit kernel, the Mac community would be up in arms, ridiculing them endlessly and you can bet there'd be an "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercial ripping them for it. Snow Leopard is not even a pure 64-bit OS. It boots into a 32-bit kernel by default. That's a 32-bit OS de facto, even if it does have certain 64-bit capabilities. I can't even imagine how much crap we'd be throwing at Microsoft if they advertised a 32-bit OS as a 64-bit OS.

Meanwhile, because Apple has run out of ideas and had to improve the low level parts of OS that, three years ago, apparently needed absolutely no improvement at all, the Apple fan base accepts Apple's offering on blind faith rather than asking why we are paying for something that could have been done earlier ahead of all the cosmetic gumph that's been added instead.

It all seems a little poor, and a little greedy, and if Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo were doing such things we'd slaughter them.

Just as a bit of info, the £25 Leopard upgrade to Snow Leopard will work with Tiger too, Apple just don't want you to know that. So no need to buy the whole pack with iLife and iWork.

Only if it's an Intel machine, Apple is still screwing tens of thousands of Tiger users with a Power PC build. What is certain is that using the Snow Leopard upgrade on a Mac running Mac OS X 10.4 is a violation of Apple's EULA.

"If you have purchased an Upgrade for Mac OS X Leopard license, then subject to the terms and conditions of this License, you are granted a limited non-exclusive license to install, use and run one (1) copy of the Apple Software on a single Apple-branded computer as long as that computer has a properly licensed copy of Mac OS X Leopard already installed on it,"

I'm also not sure whether Tiger users would be required to do a so-called "clean" upgrade that involves backing up your data, erasing your hard drive, installing Snow Leopard, and then restoring your data and reinstalling all your applications. The Snow Leopard's default for Leopard users is an "in-place" upgrade that retains all data, settings and applications.

If Tiger users need to do a clean install with SL, they'd be in the same boat as XP users come Oct. 22 when MS launches Windows 7 as the only way to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 is to do a clean install. Only users running Vista can upgrade in-place.

Yeah, but seeing as Snow Leopard is mostly optimizations for multiple cores, higher RAM usage and the Intel processors, people still running PPC computers wouldn't see much of a benefit anyway.

The first Intel Mac's were released 3 1/2 years ago, I don't think it's unreasonable for Apple to drop PPC support now, especially when it saves 7GB or so on an OS install. Plenty of programs have already dropped PPC support and are Intel only, it's inevitable this would happen and this seems a reasonable time for me.

The majority of PPC Mac's would probably be underpowered for a lot of modern stuff anyway, except the G5 Powermac's, but owners of those are likely power users and would have considered upgrading by now anyway.

Yeah, but seeing as Snow Leopard is mostly optimizations for multiple cores, higher RAM usage and the Intel processors, people still running PPC computers wouldn't see much of a benefit anyway.

The first Intel Mac's were released 3 1/2 years ago, I don't think it's unreasonable for Apple to drop PPC support now, especially when it saves 7GB or so on an OS install. Plenty of programs have already dropped PPC support and are Intel only, it's inevitable this would happen and this seems a reasonable time for me.

The majority of PPC Mac's would probably be underpowered for a lot of modern stuff anyway, except the G5 Powermac's, but owners of those are likely power users and would have considered upgrading by now anyway.

Which is precisely why it's a Service Pack and should be free. It's optimisation, and frankly late.

I agree about the power users, but then they are normally the people who can afford to throw money away.

Three and a half years might sound reasonable, but if Sony ditched PS2 support they'd be caned. If MS ditched XP support, they'd be caned.

I guarantee the next OSX release finds a way to drop support for the initial Intel processors.

I am having some issues with the 3D match engine.

I never even tried using 3D with Tiger but I just upgraded to Snow Leopard today and tried 3D on one of my games.. it ran ok...the problem is that I can't see the players..

I can see the pitch, the ball and the player names moving about, but no players.

Can anyone of you fellow Mac users help me out?

Which is precisely why it's a Service Pack and should be free. It's optimisation, and frankly late.

I agree about the power users, but then they are normally the people who can afford to throw money away.

Three and a half years might sound reasonable, but if Sony ditched PS2 support they'd be caned. If MS ditched XP support, they'd be caned.

I guarantee the next OSX release finds a way to drop support for the initial Intel processors.

In what way do Sony still support the PS2? They don't release updates for it and very few people are still making games for it, no different to PPC now. It's not like they will magically stop working.

The reason they dropped PPC support is because it works totally different to Intel and things need to be written differently, hence the 7GB saving when switching to Snow Leopard. There would be no reason for Apple to drop support for the earlier Intel's, I'm not even sure if it's possible.

In what way do Sony still support the PS2? They don't release updates for it and very few people are still making games for it, no different to PPC now. It's not like they will magically stop working.

The reason they dropped PPC support is because it works totally different to Intel and things need to be written differently, hence the 7GB saving when switching to Snow Leopard. There would be no reason for Apple to drop support for the earlier Intel's, I'm not even sure if it's possible.

It's in the roadmap, and they will find a way. I'll take a punt on 10.7 requiring SSE4 instructions or an on chip memory controller, or L2 cache hosted in L3 such as is the case in i7.

As for Sony and PS2, it's still selling strong, still got a 4yr games roadmap, and still competing with PS3 and XBox.

As for the dropping PPC to save 7GB of disk space pitch - only the daftest of followers or iCabals would allow themselves to be suckered by that in a world of 500GB+ Hard Drives.

Archived