[FM09] Experimental Challenge- Basque Country National Team

So, I have Basque heritage, am an Athletic Bilbao supporter, and decided to edit the database just a tiny bit to add the Basque Country as a fully playable national team. I have created two versions of the database, both of which are available for download below. I have it listed as both a challenge and experiment because I have not tested it extensively as of yet. Here goes:

Basque_Football_Association_logo.png

Background (from Wikipedia, cause I'm lazy):

The Basque Country has a population of about 3,000,000 as of early 2006. The population density, at about 140/km² (360/sq. mile) is above the average of Spain or France, but the distribution of the population is fairly unequal and it is concentrated around the main cities. The Greater Bilbao metropolitan area concentrates a third of the total population, whilst most of the interior of the French Basque Country and some areas of Navarre remain sparsely populated: density culminates at about 500/km² for Biscay but goes down at 20/km² in the northern inner provinces of Lower Navarre and Soule[1].

A significant majority of the population of the Basque country live inside the Basque Autonomous Community (about 2,100,000, that is 70% of the population) while about 600,000 live in Navarre (20% of the population) and about 250,000 (less than 10%) in Northern Basque Country.

The first Euskadi XI made their debut on January 3, 1915 against a Catalan XI, winning 6-1. In 1915 and 1916 and then again in 1930 and 1931 the two sides played each other in a series of games. However it was until 1937 that a Euskadi XI played outside Spain. José Antonio Aguirre, the president of the Basque Country and a former Athletic Bilbao footballer, initiated the idea of a Euskadi XI going on tour to raise funds for the Basque cause during the Spanish Civil War. This team subsequently toured Europe and Mexico and even entered the Mexican league. During the Franco dictatorship from 1939 to 1975, regional and non-Spanish national identities were severely repressed in the then so-called "Spanish state" and the Euskadi XI did not play. However since 1979 a Euskadi XI has regularly got together, usually at Christmas and usually at Athletic Bilbao's San Mamés Stadium, to play a game. They have played opponents from Africa, South America and Europe, although unlike Catalonia, who have played Brazil and Argentina, among others, they have never attracted a major football power.

With an amateur selection (this team was only made by players from the group IV of Spanish third division Basque Country, they won the 2005 UEFA Regions' Cup, beating West Sofia 1-0 in the final. This is the only tournament won by this team.

What I did: Went into the database editor and created two versions of the database (based on 9.3.0). Both have the Basque Country playable (obviously). For both, the capitol city is Pamplona (traditional Basque capitol) and the national stadium is San Mamés (Athletic's home stadium). For both the main rivals are Spain (set rivalry level to 20, permanent) and France (17, permanent). For both versions the rep for the team is 4500 and it's an EEC member, all that jazz with a few other minor alterations which aren't worth mentioning (but I will tell if you really want to know).

The difference is that for the first file, the Basque clubs are still set to their home nation, which should make the game a bit harder. Having Basque nationality will be a secondary nationality for everyone who plays for the side, and maybe some players who didn't quite make the cut for their original nation will take a call-up if they have gained Basque citizenship (I have it set to take 5 years). However, the second database should be easier, as all Basque clubs have their nationality set to Basque (this should make regens Basque by their first nationality, however, I have not tested this yet), and it only takes 3 years to gain citizenship.

Regardless of which database you select, your team will start off very limited, as the best Basque players have declared for Spain or France.

I would like to note that it's entirely possible that I'm wrong and regens will not generate with Basque as their first nationality. Again, I have not extensively tested the databases yet but this should be sorted out soon. I also plan on doing this with FM10, so this is sort of a "test run".

The Experiment: There are rules for the challenge below, but if you don't want to necessarily play as the Basque national side, feel free to play a regular game as whoever you want using one of these databases and share how things happen in the game. Since I have not gotten to do much with this quite yet, feedback from players not managing the team itself can be useful as well. Updates can be posted as often as you want- post Basque Club transfers, any staff signings by the national squad, transfer updates for Basque teams, and the performance of Basque teams. Post which database you are using.

Challenge Rules: No rules if you're experimenting, just use the database and see how it goes- these rules only apply to the challenge. If you decide to accept the challenge, again, the goal is to win the World Cup as soon as possible (again, the Basque Country will not be generated into the WC 2010). Any other major trophies are certainly a goal, but the ultimate goal for this is the World Cup. When you load the game, select ONLY Spain and France as playable leagues. You cannot start as the manager of a club team (national team only), but if you get an offer or apply for the job, that's ok- as long as you still manage the Euskadi XI. Use a huge database. Everything else is entirely up to you- tactics, manager profile, etc. are up to the individual managers. Post results and schedules (when you schedule new friendlies or new games have been scheduled). Additionally, anything else you want to post is ok, such as Basque club updates and how the national players have done in the league. Please post updates every 1-3 game months (I'll personally be doing it every month). Post which database you are using.

Club Challenge: This is less important, but the objective is to play any Basque team (list here) and win the Champion's league as them. Select Spain and France (with lowest available leagues) as playable, and you can select ONE other country as playable if you want. Post updates as often as you want, but be sure to highlight how the national team is doing, as this is corollary to the experiment. You must have at least 10 Basque players on your squad, with at least 4 as regular starters. Be sure to post which database you are using.

Download:

Version 1 (should be harder, read above for details if you haven't already)

Version 2 (should be easier, " ")

Installation instructions: Extract files to C:\Documents and Settings\(user name)\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009 (or Worldwide Soccer Manager 2009)\db

NOTES:

• I may go into the editor and create a third database changing the main nationality of currently French and Spanish Basques to just Basque (with French/Spanish as secondary). We'll see how these two go, first.
  • The Basque Country starts with no staff, so you'll have to find them.
  • Again, I have not gotten to test these extensively yet, consider this something like a "trial run" for now
  • The Basque country's logo is the one above in the post. If someone can create the badge and make it available for download that would be appreciated, but if that does not happen soon, I will figure out how to do it myself soon enough ;)
  • As this is my first crack at creating a challenge (and uploading files to filefront), questions, comments, concerns, etc are appreciated
  • Other than that, enjoy the database! I will leave all tactics and techniques up to the individual managers.

Ok, I just started managing the national team with database #1.

Here's the squad right now (I may be changing this around a bit, though):

basquelineup.jpg

And, since only friendlies can be had at the beginning, here is my fixture list for 2008/09:

fixturelist0809.jpg

I'm thinking of scrapping many of the players and digging through the national pool to find better players. I already scrapped my 3rd-choice GK for Almunia (who's now my #1). Since I don't usually play this style in the game, what attributes should I look for for the positions above and these team instructions:

basqueinstructions.jpg

Since I mostly play as club teams I won't be posting a whole lot with my own updates, but I'll post monthly updates and try to do that at least once every (real-life) week.

I also just started a club game as Genoa in Italy with the second database. I won't manage the Euskadi XI (at least not right off) but I'll post regular updates on 'em (once a month game-time). This is more an experiment to see how the database runs.

July Round-Up (AI experimental save):

The Basque Country hired its first manager on July 20, 2008. Here's his profile:

basquemanager.jpg

Basque Clubs Transfers:

julytransfers.jpg

The team has no fixtures scheduled for 2008 as of yet.

In addition to these transfers, Aviron Baionnais dumped tons of players and there were a few more releases by other clubs, but none really seemed important so I left them out.

August round-up (from experimental AI save):

No real news except transfers from the Basque clubs. Nothing big here.

basquetransfers2.jpg

The team still only has two friendlies scheduled, both in 2009.

friendlies.jpg

I won't post anything more unless something happens with them in this save (or there are requests).

Till then I think I am going to start a new game as the Basque national squad with the database 2, just so Basque clubs are easier to track. I'll post about it when I have begun.

Added more specific challenge and experiment rules above.I also added a corollary to the experiment, a Basque club challenge.

I'm starting a new game as the national side with database #2, which will now be my main for the challenge. Updates to come soon.

I started a game with your second database - not sure if this is to do with the rankings for something else

but my coaches when assigned to scout give all basque players 7 star rating no matter how poor a player they are

each player is classed as the Basque's best player

I'm heavily looked on as the underdog in all my first friendlys? even tho i have some great players will this even out as i move up the rankings.

i didn't seen the challange bit so i forgot to load up france as a playable league

resultm.jpgw1148.png

tactic.jpgw1148.png

I started a game with your second database - not sure if this is to do with the rankings for something else

but my coaches when assigned to scout give all basque players 7 star rating no matter how poor a player they are

each player is classed as the Basque's best player

This may be because the team has no history. I'll look into this problem though.

Alright, In July all that happened was me arranging friendlies, now I'm trying to get some staff together, then after a few friendlies I'll tweak the squad. Here's the fixture list for 2008 (I'll post the list for 2009 when it's 2009):

2008friendlies.jpg

There is an issue with this database, because all players that play for Athletic Bilbao must have Basque second nationality as soon as they play for the Basque Country they are unable to be signed by them or offered new contracts. You would probably have to change C.I.S to a second basque nation and add it as another nationality to all basque players, that way they retain their original basque second nationality

Guest arrogantio
There is an issue with this database, because all players that play for Athletic Bilbao must have Basque second nationality as soon as they play for the Basque Country they are unable to be signed by them or offered new contracts. You would probably have to change C.I.S to a second basque nation and add it as another nationality to all basque players, that way they retain their original basque second nationality
good spot, but wouldn't there still be an issue with regens...

A bit late for this, but don't you think the capital should be Vitoria or Bilbao instead of Pamplona?

Pamplona is the capital of Navarre, which isn't even a part of the Basque Autonomous Community. The actual Basque Country, as determined politically, consists of Alava (capital Vitoria), Biscay (capital Bilbao), and Guipuzcoa (capital San Sebastien). It's true that Navarre is part of historical Basque Country, so it depends on which Basque Country you want to use (the current political entity or the historical entity). Still, I would contend that Bilbao is more a bastion of Basque culture than Pamplona so I recommend the capital be changed to Bilbao or Vitoria.

Also, surely Spain should be a fierce rival!?!?!

A bit late for this, but don't you think the capital should be Vitoria or Bilbao instead of Pamplona?

Pamplona is the capital of Navarre, which isn't even a part of the Basque Autonomous Community. The actual Basque Country, as determined politically, consists of Alava (capital Vitoria), Biscay (capital Bilbao), and Guipuzcoa (capital San Sebastien). It's true that Navarre is part of historical Basque Country, so it depends on which Basque Country you want to use (the current political entity or the historical entity). Still, I would contend that Bilbao is more a bastion of Basque culture than Pamplona so I recommend the capital be changed to Bilbao or Vitoria.

Also, surely Spain should be a fierce rival!?!?!

I agree, Bilbao does seem like somewhat a more suitable choice, but Pamplona was chosen because "the Basque Country" in this game represents all of the Basque Country (not just the current Autonomous community within Spain- French Basques and Navarrese players still count as Basque). I may change this on the FM10 version of the challenge, but more because San Mames is in Bilbao, not Pamplona.

I also agree that Spain should be a fierce rival. However, when I was making this I was less informed than I am now and thought the rivalry intensity only went up to 20. I would change it, but it's already late in FM09. I plan on doing this again for FM10 (much earlier in that game's lifespan) so I will fix it then. Since this isn't a game-breaking issue, I'll leave it for the time being. However, I may tweak the database coming soon (especially if there are serious problems) and I'll definitely change it when I do that.

Just a general note about this challenge to all: A friend of mine is visiting from Chicago so I haven't been on FM as much lately. Once he leaves I'll be able to devote more time to the challenge.

Interesting. I don't think I can fix that because of regens, but I'll be looking into this.

• 1 month later...

Archived