Vaduz

Simple question really, can someone clarify if Vaduz in Football Manager automatically qualify every year to represent Liechtenstein in the UEFA Cup?

Secondly are their performances in the Swiss League disregarded in the sense that they are not able to represent Switzerland in European Competitions?

Hope that makes sense - just really want to check that FM replicates real life (as best it can considering there is no Liechtenstein Cup in the game)

After the Cup Winners' Cup was abolished, Vaduz have annually entered the UEFA Cup as a result of winning the Liechtenstein Cup 37 times, by virtue of being the only full-time professional football team in the country. << from wikipedia... unsure if thats how its represented in-game though...

..and no team from liechtenstein in CL, am i right..?

couldnt tell ya... and im a wee bit tipsy to go digging in wikipedia right now :D ilkl see what i can find tomorrow, if i remember :p

Cheers Ryknow

So its either random, or SI class Vaduz as Swiss and thus they can qualify to represent Switzerland depending on League or Cup performance.....

Im going to run a holiday game in the Swiss League to see if this can be cleared up

Vaduz are not in Europe in my save (2022). FC Balzers are in the Euro Cup though

Wow, well done Balzers! They're outside of the playable leagues at game start...

Vaduz are not classed as Swiss; if they were they'd never qualify for any European competition.

They are in the top flight...

Im happy that the Liech' Cup is covered in that a team is 'randomly' selected (albeit assumingly weighted in favor of Vaduz early in the game) to represent the country in the UEFA Cup.

All I really want to clear up is:

1 - Do Vaduz also get into Europe if they place well enough in the Swiss League (note they do not play in the Swiss Cup)

2 - If by any chance Vaduz win or consistently do well in the UEFA Cup, will the co-effiecient of Liech' rise enough to see more than 1 club represent the nation in Europe. And if that happened, would at any point a Champions League place come open (although not realistic im wondering if the game realises this).

Someone from SI could probably put a nail in this pretty quickly.

The game does adjust CL places (source: NepentheZ transforming Northern Ireland) but I've not seen Liech's change. However, a parallel. Monaco get into the UEFA cup quite easily, yet Monaco doesn't... no wait, Monaco the country isn't recognised by UEFA/FIFA. Okay, Cardiff don't affect Wales' coefficent. Therefore, I doubt Vaduz affect Liech's.

hmmm 2nd season of the holiday, a quick recap on the first:

Vaduz stayed up in the Swiss top flight and made the 2nd qualifying round of the UEFA Cup in the 1st season.

So 2nd season, the Liech' UEFA Cup representatives are.... FC Balzers! Now this may be a freak incident, BUT as Vaduz are classed as Switzerland in Nation I am now wondering are they put into the Liech' random rotation at all for UEFA Cup football.... they should be, but to instantly miss out is a surprise.

Liechtenstein will never get CL places, for the simple reason that they don't have a professional league.

I have no idea what would happen if Vaduz wins the Swiss League though.

I think we are all clear on what happens IRL, its now a case of working out how FM portrays this in game.

Will FM understand that if Liech' co-effiecient rises and they then warrant a CL place, will the game say 'No' not applicable or will it just randomly award that slot to a team as it appears to do with the Liech' UEFA Cup place.

Its all hypothetical at the minute - we need SI to clarify, but atm im holidaying a game just to see how the UEFA Cup slot is dictated and what happens if Vaduz do have a bit of success in Switzerland.

Looks like its a glitch at this stage.... 2nd season, Vaduz survive again in the League but the Liech' UEFA Cup place has gone to Balzers. So although the game is correctly putting in a Liech team, I believe that Vaduz are not being classed as Liech when the game randomly generates the entrant......if they are, then they do not have enough weight behind them in the random draw as they should not be missing out 2 years spinning.

Im not convinced on this but ive lost patience in holidaying.

3rd season, Vaduz are relegated so I am unable to rule out them making Europe via Swiss League placing... however representing Liech for the 3rd year in a row is Balzers.

Ive also noticed in the Co-Efficients screen, Vaduz have a Swiss flag next to their name so I assume their classed as representing them rather than Liech.

SI should really get people on testing unique things like this as otherwise the whole ethos behind the game is flawed as instantly not only is the Swiss League potentially compromised, but the UEFA Cup is glitched if as it seems Vaduz are not considered Liech'.

Not the biggest issue obviously as SI have to make sure Wayne Rooneys stats satisfy everyones criteria first, but it would be nice to have realistic leagues outside of England - or they should just remove them totally. 'If you are going to do a job, do it properly or not at all'

On FM:

I've been playing a save as Vaduz for 10 seasons now (FM08). Vaduz is always in the UEFA Cup, I've won the Swiss Super League multiple times and we still only get UEFA Cup. Currently the Lichtenstein coeff (in my save) is 9th in Europe but there is still just 1 single UEFA Cup spot open.

Vaduz are classified as Swiss in club coefficients but in all my UEFA Cup draws and groups they are classified as Liechtensteiner.

In real life:

Vaduz are not allowed to qualify for European competition through league performance.

Vaduz will not be considered Swiss champions even if they finish top of the table

Liectenstein clubs (Vaduz included) are allowed 1 Europa League spot by virtue of having a national Cup competition but, as there is no national league, they are ineligible for Champions League football

There is also something about only 1 Liechtenstein club can be represented in the top 2 Swiss leagues at any one time, hence for Balzers (currently 1 level below Challenge League) to gain promotion, Vaduz would have to be relegated from the Challenge League first or in the same year.

Archived