Centre back or sweeper?

hi

I'm playing with Manchester United and just tweaking my tactics for my two centre backs.

I play Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic.

I'm using the ''set to'' tactic option for one to be set as centre back and for one to be set as sweeper.

I'm just wondering who should be set as the centre back and who I should set as the sweeper.

Vidic is stronger and better tackler and Ferdinand has the pace. Who would you suggest to be sweeper?

Do you think this tactic will work?

Thanks

Ferdinand is a better sweeper in theory as Ferdinand can dictate the back four and is more than capable of bringing the ball forward.

Vidić is more of a destroyer and lacks the sort of vision and distribution Ferdinand has, which makes him a better centre-back.

Sweepers are a rarity nowadays because very few teams use them. I think the last true sweeper in top football was Ayala for Argentina. The lack of centre-backs with enough technique to play as a sweeper and centre-backs like Liverpool's Agger and Skrtel (both able to bring play forward) has meant the sweeper role is rather rare. Much like the trequartista role, it is a very special role for special players.

I would disagree and say Ferdinand. Isnt a sweeper normally the one better with the ball I.E Baresi, Matthaus?

You're thinking of the Libero here and while Sweeper is often used as a synonym the two roles are very different.

While the Libero will join the defense if necessary he's not really a defender. It's more of an ultra free role and was pretty much made for players like Beckenbauer and Matthaeus, who were just too good and complete players to be pressed into narrow tactical categories.

As a traditional sweeper you don't have to be that good on the ball. Decent passing obviously helps, but it's all about the defense, so players should be picked accordingly.

Ferdinand. His pace is why he should be given those instructions.

BTW others: I think, judging by the OP, that they'll both be played as centre backs but with different instructions. In which case, it is Rio all the way.

I'm not sure how SI sees it; but as far I know sweeper is not what is used to be in old days. Before they had so called libero whose position was like a defensive midfield of today, they were the counter part of playmaker (AM) on the own half side. Nowadays sweepers are just the guys who controls the defence line and usually stays a bit behind the regular defenders and collect what is bounced from them, and usually they are expected to aid goalkeeper to start the game. Thats why when I use sweeper I dont focus on pace or tackling but more on anticipation and positioning because they are the ones who make sure opposition dont make through balls and get one on one with my keeper.

what if he was to stagger the two center backs mentality wise. So one has mentality slighty higher, two notches or so. This would allow one to sweep and one to bring it out without causing too much distruption right?

I've never found any point in deploying a sweeper. It would be fine if they actually showed any intelligence but I've never found a way to get them working with this match engine. In my experience they just run around like headless chickens with no concept of where the danger areas are.

Archived