Unemployed to Success

I started unemployed a little while back and got a job offer from Charlton in October time, resigned a week later and became Newcastle Manager.... They were 17th at the time and struggling....

In January I sold a lot of players and brought in Hernanes, Marquinhos, Davide Santon and got rid of Owen, Habib Beye, and a few others. I ended up finishing 4th that season. Annoyingly, Liverpool who finished 7th won the CL and so qualified in my spot for the next season!

I just started the 2nd season and my team is now as follows:

Ben Foster

Santon - Taylor/Coloccini - Sakho/Bassong - Leiton Baines

Fernandinho - Hernanes

Jonas - Marquinhos/Affelay - Bosko Jankovic

Laurito

I would defninitely recommend starting unemployed.. I am having a blast and have so many good potential youngsters in the team above. Anyone else done anything like this?

Sakho - 23m at the end of the season. Baines - 12m the same time. Laurito... I agreed a 2m price and finalised the deal in January but he cant join until the end of the season as he is on loan..

i started out unemployed with semi professional rep (real life rep). Managed to go a year without a job then took over Chesterfield. I had a brilliant 9 year relationship with them, where i took them to the brink of the championship play offs. (2years in Leauge Two: 4 years in League One: 3 in the Championship)

Then i left Chesterfield as i felt i failed :(. Went to Belenese in Portugal, very ill fated 90days there lost all but one of my games. Jumped before i was pushed really. Then off to Freiburg in Bundesliga 2. I spent two years there, managing promotion and nearly relegation. Burnley then wanted me to save them from relegation at Christmas from the Premiership, i Failed. Zuirch FC then beckoned me over. Very dull league. Managed 3 years there came 2nd once. rest of the time was rubbish.

Got itchy feet applied for many many jobs. Fenerbahce were the only team who actually wanted me. Im now coming close to my 3rd season with them. Still finishing around about there (3rd-5th) Seems to be the only club im falling in love with just like Chesterfield. Only issue is my young Turkish star players want to go to Europe. Ive decided that anybody who wants to leae to Europe can go for £10mil. If any other turkish team or non-Europe want them i will just go for over there estimation.

Gauv.

P.s. Sorry for hyjacking. Just wanted to point out how good my career has been since starting as Unemployed.

I just keep getting bored with the same save for too long. I keep starting new ones, so far the best I have had was for Aston Villa. Now I really enjoy this one and hopefully will be able to keep it going!

thinking of starting umemployed. dont want any team lower than league 2, what reputation should i choose and how long would it take to get a job? (roughly)

I would start as professional footballer if you dont want to go lower than league 2. With this one I started as Internationall Footballer and so made it easier to get the Newcastle job straight away. If you start as Int. Portsmouth will guaranteed offer u a job on 9.3 but I turned it down.

I don't see the link between starting unemployed an your succesful career.

You must have picked a high starting rep to get the Newcastle job and it seems like you don't have too many leagues running, otherwise you'd never get the Charlton job from being unemployed (or it's a reputation thing).

Nice career and good luck. But where is the connection to starting unemployed?

Started unemployed. Managed to get a job at Rochdale after a bit of a wait (can't remember how long). Got them from League 2 to a Championship play-off place in four years (spent two in Championship). Had a takeover embargo stopping me from making any transfers in my third/fourth year (this went on for about 12 months or so!), yet still managed to get them in the aforementioned play-off space. Finally the takeover of the club took place and the b***ards said they wanted to replace me with Neil Warnock... WTF? :( I waited a while for my fate to be sealed and chucked out of the club I had made much richer and more popular and close to becoming a PLg team, when suddenly Leeds came in for me. They were 1st in the Championship and looked certainties for promotion, were offering to quadruple my wages and give me a vastly superior wage and transfer budget to my Rochdale one. Guess what happened next?

With Leeds I succeeded that season to get to the PLg as champions. However, I was one of the media favourites for going back down to Championship in my 1st season. I signed a few useful players but didn't have a massive budget so there were no marquee signings. I worked hard on tweeking all my tactics and changing them dramatically at times for different opponents. It was a hard slog but remarkably I managed to get 2nd (well behind 1st) and qualify automatically for the CLg :) The next season I had a lot more money to spend because of the previous season's success. I got a little more ambitious with my signings pre-season (and better players were suddenly becoming interested in playing for me... at last!) and prepared for my next season eagerly. I did pretty well in the Clg, getting to QFs and came a close 2nd (again... grrr) in the PLg (by 1pt to the Arse).

I'm currently in my 3rd season in PLg with Leeds and am leading the pack (just) and have just come 1st in my CLg group (ahead of Bayern) and drawn AC Milan in the next round.

I have grown from 'Local' rep to 'Continental' in around 7 seasons. Can't wait to see 'World-Class' pop-up, something that I used to easily get by choosing to play as my beloved ManU in previous FM/CMs from the off. (Don't worry, I've not told any mates that I'm manager of Leeds as I'd never live it down!) ;)

So would I recommend starting as unemployed? You bet your ass! It's the most satisfying feeling in the game, to build your success from nothing.

And people wonder why we love this game so much?

Archived