Work Permits

If you are managing a British club then the rules are that the player must have played in 75% of his countries full international matches over the previous 2 year period and that nation must be in FIFA's top 80. It should be possible to sign a player with few or no caps if you have a feeder club that you can send the player to until they are eligible for dual nationality. You need to ask your board for an affiliate (feeder) club. If you currently dont have any such clubs then you will only be offered local ones and it may take a few attempts before your offered a work permit one. Spain is the best nation if your trying to sign South Americans as the wait is only two years. Belgium and Poland are good for other nations but the wait for a work permit is three years.

I've just signed Georgi Kinkladze for the last 6 months of the season. He's 35 and hasn't played an international game for some while. He doesn't have England as an alternative Nationality but I got a WP for him. Anyone know why?

Hi, i'm hoping you can help me with advice on how to obtain a work permit for overseas players ?

Thanks

Another trick (which doesn't always work so don't blame me if it doesn't ;)) is to sign the player even if he fails to get a WP and offer him a new contract straight away. If you're lucky he signs it and suddenly has a work permit.

You should only do this for cheap, young players on poor contracts though, as if the trick fails he'll need to go to a feeder club. You can still keep trying every now and then though.

I've just signed Georgi Kinkladze for the last 6 months of the season. He's 35 and hasn't played an international game for some while. He doesn't have England as an alternative Nationality but I got a WP for him. Anyone know why?

It could be because he is a player of international repute. In the real world, famous international artistes would probably be allowed to work in the UK without a need for a work permit because they are quite renowned.

Or maybe it's one of those glitches!!

Also, if he did have England (or any other EU/EEA country as his second nationality), he naturally wouldn't need a work permit!!

• 3 weeks later...
If you are managing a British club then the rules are that the player must have played in 75% of his countries full international matches over the previous 2 year period and that nation must be in FIFA's top 80. It should be possible to sign a player with few or no caps if you have a feeder club that you can send the player to until they are eligible for dual nationality. You need to ask your board for an affiliate (feeder) club. If you currently dont have any such clubs then you will only be offered local ones and it may take a few attempts before your offered a work permit one. Spain is the best nation if your trying to sign South Americans as the wait is only two years. Belgium and Poland are good for other nations but the wait for a work permit is three years.

Out of curiosity, is that info for the game only, or for real in England?

Looks like it is impossible to transfer a good youngster because of the work permits. Is it real in UK? Is immigration office that strict?

So how do you go about sending the player to an affiliate?

Is it in the contract offer page?

You will need to have a work permit club as an affiliate before the transfer can be completed so have a look to see what you have and it will tell you the main benifit of having that particular club. If the affiliates dont mention anything about work permit rules then you don't currently have one. If you don't have any affiliates then you'll have to ask your board for one but they will not offer you a work permit one until after you have a few other local clubs in place first. If you have one what will happen is that you'll be able to sign the player but you will get a message (normally after appeal) saying that the transfer will be completed but the player will have to go to a wp affiliate until he's eligible for a wp. Once signed he will have a red wp sign next to his name meaning that he cant currently play for your club so you will have to send him to your work permit club for a few seasons. How long this takes depends on the nation. If you are trying to sign south american players then try to get an affiliate club in Spain because their rules say that a player is eligible for dual nationality after just 2 years. Unfortunately there is a downside to sending a player to a work permit affiliate and that is that they dont have to accept dual nationality and there is nothing you can do to encourage this which, in my opinion, kind of makes the whole work permit thing in the game a bit pointless. Hopefully you'll be able to encourage them to take dual nationality in FM2010. Hope all that makes sense becuase I am writing this really quick because I am in a hurry to pee!!! ;)

Out of curiosity, is that info for the game only, or for real in England?

Not just England but those are the rules irl. They do vary from nation to nation though.

Archived