An attempted useful thread in the close season!

So...... the new tactical interface / wizard thing - whilst there will still be a facility for people to endlessly analyse whether their tactic needs CD 15 or CD 17, can we now expect the level of tactical debate to shift onwards in FM10 to "I pushed up my full backs and dropped a man in the hole...etc etc.

And a little thought, will the wizard get used for setting the basics, around which further 1 or 2 notch tweaks will be made "under the bonnet"?. (I presume the new system works that way for those that want to?)

I imagine the new tactics wizard would be optional, with the user still having the option to use the classic tactics.

For sure, but the point I was making was - will the best combo be wizard set then adjusted, or will that throw the good work of the wizard out of synch? I gues the purist (and they may be right) will champion 100% slider set tactics - cant wait to see, I need intelligable tactical debate now, I am bored of the slider theorising that once fascinated me. Get the ball out - not the manual!

I would think the best way to use the wizard would be to use it to set the basics, then tweak to get the optimum tactic.

Although as previously mentioned in other threads there needs to be more information about what the sliders actually do/change in the game, and that info needs to be in game and not have to rely on 3rd party, ie the forums, to pass on the details.

if it is there i will worry, it would be typical of everything nowadays catering for those who fail to grasp any notion of tactical intelligence and awareness, instead opting for making things 'pretty and simple'

if it is there i will worry, it would be typical of everything nowadays catering for those who fail to grasp any notion of tactical intelligence and awareness, instead opting for making things 'pretty and simple'

Not really. Its catering for a greater market IMO. Not everyone has endless hours to be fiddling with sliders, and not everyone has a sign on/access to these forums or the internet to be able to download one.

Look at it this way. America is a lucrative market, and football (soccer or whatever) is growing over there. That in turn will make games like this more popular. Now, as its only really an emerging sport, i can bet the person who is maybe thinking about taking the leap and purchasing the game will not know too much about tactics, and certainly not how to implement them using a set of sliders that TBH aren't that descriptive of what they do. The wizard would help.

Opening the game up to a greater market is good. That means more copies sold, more cash, and in turn more scope for development. It also enables people who are new, or casual gamers, to devise their own tactic and form a starting point, something they could then move away from when they feel more competant.

i understand your points, i'd just they rather not rip out the soul of the game for the sake of a few more pennies in the coffers, i suppose we'll get some kind of insight into how it is going from the FML section of the forums from tuesday when they get their new tactics system, although nowadays it seems to be over run with fan boys.

You can easily get by without even touching the tactics, using the defaults and configuring player instructions (to wing back/full back etc).

If the person taking the leap doesn't have any grasp of the game then i would suggest they overlooked the game or read the manual which infact does give a lot away.

Point taken on the descriptiveness of the sliders, without looking deeper into what the names represent (i think we had some differing views on creative freedom in a thread a few days ago, or maybe it was somebody else), but then again comes the point of would somebody feasibly buy a game with no grasp of the concepts, we are in a recession 'n' all (unless they illegally got hold of a copy, but hey, DRM cut alot of that, right?:rolleyes:) Without going whole-hog they should encourage more use of the in-game help/wizard.

and a short period later :This backs up my thinking from a new user :thup:

i understand your points, i'd just they rather not rip out the soul of the game for the sake of a few more pennies in the coffers, i suppose we'll get some kind of insight into how it is going from the FML section of the forums from tuesday when they get their new tactics system, although nowadays it seems to be over run with fan boys.

You can easily get by without even touching the tactics, using the defaults and configuring player instructions (to wing back/full back etc).

If the person taking the leap doesn't have any grasp of the game then i would suggest they overlooked the game or read the manual which infact does give a lot away.

Point taken on the descriptiveness of the sliders, without looking deeper into what the names represent (i think we had some differing views on creative freedom in a thread a few days ago, or maybe it was somebody else), but then again comes the point of would somebody feasibly buy a game with no grasp of the concepts, we are in a recession 'n' all (unless they illegally got hold of a copy, but hey, DRM cut alot of that, right?:rolleyes:) Without going whole-hog they should encourage more use of the in-game help/wizard.

and a short period later :This backs up my thinking from a new user :thup:

Dont think it was me, cant be sure thoough lol :)

Archived