Anti-climactic finals

Just had the third and possibly biggest kick in the guts in my time on FM08. Got England to the semis of Euro 2016 and beat France with an amazing performance, went for a huge gamble with the tactics that paid off, Stewart Downing scoring the second from 65 yards as we won 2-0. Set out with the exact same tactics against Spain in the final and within 27 mins I'm 3-0 down, lost 4-1 in the end. It seems that whenever you get a fantastic game in a semi final you're guaranteed to play rubbish in the final and lose. It's happened to me twice before, needed to score 3 goals in the second half of a play off semi to go through and got the third in injury time after an amazing game, played rubbish in the final and lost. Edged out Valencia in the CL semis and to seal a treble played Barca in the final, 2-0 within 10 mins and lost. I suppose the moral of the story is if you cruise the semi you're guaranteed to win, so I guess my money will be on the scummy reds sealing the treble in a week and a halfs time...

I have mainly had the opposite experience. I was Barcelona playing Man Utd in a Champions League final. At half-time I was down 3-0; all looked lost so I just went for it in the second half. Incredibly we clawed back to 3-3 then scored the winner in extra time. Sir Alex retired a month later.

After that I learned to be aggressive in finals and I have won almost all of them. If things are not going well you need to have a killer tactic ready. I have one that I only bring out when I absolutely need a goal. It works most of the time; the opposition are caught by complete surprise.

If you get too carried away with praise after one good match, it can ruin your chances for the subsequent game. You've got to hold back those "delighted with the performance" talks unti they really deliver.

If you get too carried away with praise after one good match, it can ruin your chances for the subsequent game. You've got to hold back those "delighted with the performance" talks unti they really deliver.

You could be right there actually. It's just that they were such fantastic performances it couldn't be helped, in the last one most of the team got 8 or above. Perhaps they get the impression that it's 'job done' and I should be saying don't get complacent?

with liverpool in the CL i face ac milan in the first knockout round, athletico madrid in the quarter finals, inte milan in the semi-finals and then after barely managing to get past them all flogged Chelsea 4-1 in the final. There was absolutely no competition in the final, plessis scored my first inside 20 minutes and i controlled the entire game, chelsea only managed to score in the final 15 minutes after i was already up 4-0.

Archived