The 'Jesus, what happened there???' thread

This thread is dedicated to those FM moments that make you want to cry for Mother.

Playing as Empoli in 4th season, 21 games in and top of Serie A, finally beating the big boys and unbeaten. Just bought a random defender that may or may not be the best in the game allegedly for £25.5m...

Then I just got utterly destroyed by Fiorentina, 8-1. Changed tactics twice, instructions, players, nothing. I was so ashamed for the 1 goal for us, I wanted to give it back. I feel sick :(

I was thinking about making a similar thread the other day, as it happens! It was three games to go in the Croatian Premiership. I'm three points behind the leader Hajduk, and assuming I can get two wins I've got a chance to take it to the wire with a trip to their ground on the final day. I'm plaing a mid-table team away that I should be comfortably beating. About 20 mins in and it's still nil-nil, but I'm putting pressure on and look like scoring. But then they get a throw level with the edge of my box. It's headed out from the box to the middle of my half by my defender. My striker runs back a few yards to make the next header, but instead of my defenders or midfielders covering, they all spread out and run up the pitch level to where the my striker is. He's beaten to the header and the ball gets played through to the opposition striker in acres of space to slot home to make it one-nil to them. Three of my youngsters instantly look nervous and then I can barely manage a single chance for the rest of the game, all because no one decided it would be a good idea to make sure the ball was safe before pushing up. Mummy. :(

Just experienced this in 2013:

10 games from the end of the season and all very tight at the top of the EPL. Home to Middlesborough, a game I should be wiining comfortably and go to the tactics screen to submit the team. Hang on a minute....... 19 of my first team squad out of 23 are away on international duty! Quickly look at the reserves where I have been carefully grooming the stars of the future.....9 of them away as well on under 21 duty with only 6 space fillers left!

Luckily Italy didnt have a fixture so I had 4 Italians, 6 untried 17 and 18 year olds and 3 16 year olds fom the under 18s.

To say that the air was blue would be an understatement. Luckily all the Italiens played in more than 1 position, so I played them across the middle, got 2 quick goals and held on for 35 minutes as they fought back, clawing back only one goal but sieging the defense.

Does nothing for the nerves or the good relationships with SI whose ears should have been burning.

I had one a few seasons back, playing as spurs last game of the season, already won the title, and had gone 37 games without defeat. Drew plenty tho'. Anyway full strength team Vs Bristol City who were bottom on about 27points, they played us off the park, beating us 3-1. First half hatrick by a player who had scored about 7 goals the entire season.

Just experienced this in 2013:

10 games from the end of the season and all very tight at the top of the EPL. Home to Middlesborough, a game I should be wiining comfortably and go to the tactics screen to submit the team. Hang on a minute....... 19 of my first team squad out of 23 are away on international duty! Quickly look at the reserves where I have been carefully grooming the stars of the future.....9 of them away as well on under 21 duty with only 6 space fillers left!

Luckily Italy didnt have a fixture so I had 4 Italians, 6 untried 17 and 18 year olds and 3 16 year olds fom the under 18s.

To say that the air was blue would be an understatement. Luckily all the Italiens played in more than 1 position, so I played them across the middle, got 2 quick goals and held on for 35 minutes as they fought back, clawing back only one goal but sieging the defense.

Does nothing for the nerves or the good relationships with SI whose ears should have been burning.

I experienced the exact same situation in 2013 as well.. just when you thought internationals couldnt get any more irritating.

Archived