Rent for 60,000 city of manchester stadium: 50% of gate receipts

Apparently Man city don't own their stadium (didn't know that before), because they pay a whopping rent! Is there any chance that the club will buy the stadium or build a new one? The long term stability of the club is at risk if I have to continue with this significant cost. Is this a realistic rent to pay, do they pay this IRL?

The new owners are planning on buying the whole sport city complex (the ground and surrounding area)

It is currently part owned by the council, thats why they pay gate recipts

okay, thanks, didn't know about that. Would there be any in-game possibility that this could happen, the owners buy the stadium so I don't have to pay rent? Surely this must be more profitable in the long term for a major club. Won the PL and CL this season 2012/13 so club stature and money shouldn't be a problem really

Or why Manchester United fans call Manchester City fans "renties" or "rentboys" (amongst other rude names)?

I'm from Sweden and I don't know of all the details of their rivalry. Good to learn something new though :D. Is it that way since they built the new stadium or did they rent Maine Road as well?

I think it's because the City of Manchester Stadium was built by Manchester (the city) for the Commonwealth Games, and subsequently rented out to Man City.

IIRC, it was not originally meant for football, until City moved in and they converted it.

• 1 year later...

well guys I'm still on FM09 & I've set man city as owners of the stadium, but the rent is still there and seems impossible to remove.. I saw a screenshot of fm11 where there were som very interesting stadium related board requests.. There was a "buy stadium" option.. do you think this would remove the rental thing if you play as man city on fm11?

It shouldn't be 50%, and seem to remember it being changed a few iterations back.

IRL it's 50% of every seat sold above 34k (we keep 100% of the first 34k). I think in game you can buy the stadium outright.

I'm on FM09, and there it's 50% of everything, sadly.. And I've tried to correct in in the editor but it seems it cannot be changed. Tried giving them a whole new stadium, as well as checking the rental box was 0.. Must be some hidden value that canät be altered..

However, played around with the fm11 demo an there it's set to 14%, and when i asked the board to buy the stadium to avoid the rental costs they agreed! FM11 is ordered and on it's way in a few days btw.

Archived