Strange(?) nationality change

I have a winger in his 30's,first nationality French, second nationality Laoian. Suddenly his first nationality becomes Laoian, second French. At the same time he receives a national call from the Laos manager. Or the other way arround, first the callup to the national squad and then the change in nationality.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could confirm that it's normal to change/choose nationality in that age, or we're dealing with a possible bug. Note: he hasn't played for France at any level (U18's-U21's etc.).

As he has been called up to the Laoian national team this becomes his primary nationallity within the game.

You cant really be french citerzen and play for another national team.

In the reverse Brad Friedel will have british nationalllity I imgainge but you would never describe him as british.

So, if you have two nationalities, you can choose which of the two countries you'll represent at any age? I thought you had to choose at a very young age (maybe before 18?).

You can change your nationality before the age of 21, if you become a citizen of that country.

If you have two nationalities, you can play for your second nation provided you have not been capped by your first nation. Youth caps do not count.

Despite this, i have heard that David Seaman has made appearances for Ireland:confused:

Is that true?

You can change your nationality before the age of 21, if you become a citizen of that country.

If you have two nationalities, you can play for your second nation provided you have not been capped by your first nation. Youth caps do not count.

Despite this, i have heard that David Seaman has made appearances for Ireland:confused:

Is that true?

Yup.

This is why Amauri's sobbing when he is deciding his International future (get it over with, you silly sod), why Portugal's future strikeforce hopes may rest on Liedson getting his Portuguese passport, why apparently Almunia would be better than James for England (although this has an additional problem, but say that this problem didn't exist), and so on.

I'm very surprised he hadn't declared for a nation by then, though.

Is that true?

I don't think that's correct. As far as I know, you can change nationality (providing you become citizen of that country) at any age you want. The only condition is that you don't have any U21 or senior caps for your primary nationality.

Therefore is a Brazilian player that has never been capped at U21 / Senior level gets, let's say, an Italian passport, he can then play for Italy, despite being 22, 24, 28, 30 etc.....

If you're eligible to play for more than one nation, you have to pick one before you turn 21, I believe (Rossi could have played for the US or Italy). Obviously, many people don't gain a second citizenship until later in life, so they're able to choose which national team they'd like to play for. For instance, in my game there's one player with dual citizenship for Mexico and the US- under his international happiness, it states "would prefer playing for Mexico at this point in his career."

Archived