When you change leagues, what happens exactly?

Last year I was in the EPL with AFC Wimbledon, After losing a bit of ambition I decided to leave the club. They were the 3rd richest after Madrid and Barca, best ranked team in Europe, 3 consecutive EPL wins and 2 consecutive CL wins. On top of that I had a pool of youngsters who with the right guidance would turn out into world beaters. Our rivals in the league were undoubtadly Chelsea who ran us close every year and behind them I'd say Arsenal were very tough as well.

So I move on to Italy with Fiorentina. It's around March and I decide to check what's going on with Wimbledon. They'd gone with a Spanish manager (Manolo Jimemnez) and we're lingering in midtable (12th) with Chelsea trying to get a UEFA Cup spot. For me this is rather odd. He'd sold a few players but none were first teamers so how come a team who has been so dominant in England and Europe been turned into halfweights :confused:

It's rather odd though. I played 4-5-1, he plays 4-4-2. Despite only playing one forward I had two who were class scoring over a goal a game each (My brazilian striker even scored 63 goals in the league before I left) and in midfield there was an AMC with over 40 assists and a DMC who was ranked as world class. So all in all he doesn't have bad personell. He must be one of the worst managers in history basically. But then again what happened to Chelsea? They were really good, solid team, now can't even get into Europe with the same manager.

Is it because the matches are'nt processed in full detail?

i would say that chelsea may just be having a bad season, it happens in real life so why not in a game.

Ok that I can accept. But I think next season I'm going to have the EPL matches in detail so I can compare results as I think the table makes no sense compared to when I was there.

Is it because the matches are'nt processed in full detail?

Probably. I seem to remember reading that reputation plays a much larger part in result calculation when leagues aren't in full detail.

If not, and it seems the manager is dragging your old club down, It may seem that you would indeed be welcome back :thup:

Imagine the hype from the media, the excitement from the fans, the happiness of the players.

However, this is not impemented in FM

I have noticed this - no matter how well your team does with you at the helm they never, ever do as well again. Especially smaller teams. Man U, Barca, etc will still be up there if you leave, but it's rare to see Leeds or Luton or Wimbledon win another title or cup once the human user departs.

I'm sure there was a thread about this a few months back, if you get a small club to overachieve (which in the case of getting AFCW into the Prem, is a bit of an understatement), then leave - the AI manager usually wastes little time in screwing up your years, or in some cases decades, of good work.

In FM08 after years of hard toil I got a team from the German regionals to the Bundesliga, I left them solidly mid-table in January and by the end of the season they'd been relegated in last place, having not won a single game under their new manager who promoted a bunch of reserves to the first team (resulting in a first team squad of about 35 players) - he signed in a bunch of free transfers who were cack, stopped playing my best players altogether, who were of lower reputation than their replacements but in my eyes were far better performers for the team. He also resorted to bizarre formations where my simple 4-4-2 had worked for donkeys years. Basically he trashed the club from top to bottom.

FM09 came out and I abandoned that game before seeing how much further down they sank mind you.

The same happened to Manchester United after I left them for the Brazil job, they hired Thomas Schaaf who loves to play 4-1-2-1-2 with a diamond in midfield. After a few months I decided to take a look, both Messi and C. Ronaldo weren't included in the first eleven...

I'm sure it's to do with the match detail and the way games are 'simulated'.

In patch 9.2 I played in the SPL and also loaded the premier league. I switched jobs in December and moved to the premiership with Middlesbrough. West Brom (17th previously) 'came alive' and ended up finishing 8th.

Archived