SI's attitude

Hi I've been monitoring the forums recently in anticipation for the patch as the game is unplayable. I think Si have been very ignorant about their responses to questions about the new patch. All people want is to be kept up to date about how the testing is going and what the patch is going to fix. Would it be to hard for a sticky to be made where we can get an update every few days.

We all pay 30 quid for a game and its full of bugs. I have had the game for few months now and have had about 12 hours gameplay. I brought it back to shop for refund but was refused as he shop said that for all they know i have made copies. I have been playing since CM2 and I am very disappointed in SI this time. FM08 was close to disaster aswell and I dont think ill be buying FM10.

I've been playing since the early days of CM and I have to agree that SI have become very defensive about patches and bugs. Partly becuase the community has grown so big more and more people want to have their say and some of them are very negative. I think if it wasn't such a great series of games then we wouldn't care less about patch release dates etc. The reason we do care is that we are all to a greater or lesser extent addicted to FM.

However, as the games have become more detailed then the scope for bugs has obviously increased. Less things went wrong with CM97/98 because there were less things that could go wrong. I care about patch release dates becuase ultimatley I will get my much anticipated fix - like a drug addict. I also realise I need to kick this game into touch at some point so I dont need to worry about release dates.

We have all paid money for this game and all we want to know is when are we going to get a proper game for our money? Its that simple, its not unreasonable for us to ask for basic information of when the patch will become available - but now they have our money they are less interested in keeping us happy

We keep people as up to date as we can.

Giving any more information away would be shooting ourselves in the foot. What would happen, for example, if we said "this issue is fixed," only for a user to experience it after the patch due to a set of occurances that are totally unique? We then get even worse flak for "lying."

When there is specific information on the patch to give, we give it. But there is no information, so stop asking. It won't make it come any quicker, we will tell you what you need to know when you need to know it.

Seriously, though, if SI responded to every question about the patch, it wouldn't be ready until 2010. There are good business reasons for not telling you what's in the patch. For example, if they promise a change, and that change doesn't make it through QA, they may have to remove that change (rather than pulling the whole patch) and that could lead to more annoyed customers.

They've told you it'll be out before the end of February. In the absence of any news to the contrary, I don't see what you need explaining further?

Hi I've been monitoring the forums recently in anticipation for the patch as the game is unplayable. I think Si have been very ignorant about their responses to questions about the new patch. All people want is to be kept up to date about how the testing is going and what the patch is going to fix. Would it be to hard for a sticky to be made where we can get an update every few days.

We all pay 30 quid for a game and its full of bugs. I have had the game for few months now and have had about 12 hours gameplay. I brought it back to shop for refund but was refused as he shop said that for all they know i have made copies. I have been playing since CM2 and I am very disappointed in SI this time. FM08 was close to disaster aswell and I dont think ill be buying FM10.

To say the game is unplayable is just silly. It's not perfect but so many people enjoy it that the minority that whinge and whine about every minor bug that comes up need a reality check. This game will NEVER be perfect.

As for SI's attitude, how can anyone expect definitive information about the patch until it's ready for release? It has to be tested, tested, and tested again, and no doubt some things will be missed, but it's as thorough as it can be. If they say xxxxxxx has been fixed but discover at the last minute that this has a knock-on effect that makes the ME even worse, they have to rewind the work done and start again, which MAY mean it doesn't make it into this patch.

Anyway, in the bugs forum they DO state in many threads that certain issues are being looked at, just not confirming the fix yet.

WHY is it so important that SI provide updates, anyway? It won't speed up the process - if anything it'll slow it down.

As for a release date, it's back to testing, testing, testing. They could say "it'll be out this Friday" but if a beta tester sparks up with, "Hey, look, I've found THIS problem" and it's a real game breaker, they'll have to put it back by 24 hours and face the wrath of more impatient gamers on the forum.

It's far better the way they are currently handling it. Honestly, the petulant feet-stamping on the forums of late is really quite depressing.

Archived