Fluctuating player values in Scotland?!

Sorry to make a new thread if this issue has been discussed, but I have done a search and not found anything.

Only had FM09 for under a month, and only managed Hibernian in Scotland so far, though I did manage in England on the demo. But I've noticed my players' values never stay consistent. One week Steven Fletcher will be worth £4-5mil, and then next time I look he is worth £1-2mil. And it goes up and down again. Sign an Argentinian striker on a free in January, very good player, he's worth £4-5mil right up. After a couple of weeks, he's worth £700k. May go back up again, but I find this strange. Happens with all my players, and makes it hard when I want to sell one who was rightly deemed worth 500k - 1mil, who suddenly is worth about £70k.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a known issue? Is it just in Scotland (have a feeling deep down that this has happened on past games in Scotland, but cannot say for sure), or does it happen elsewhere?

I'm on the latest patch too.

And the thing is, I've never seen it happen at all, let alone like this, in any other league.

And Steven Fletcher has been pretty consistent all season, he has played 26, scored 18, 11 assists, 5 MOM and rating of 7.39. His last 2 games he scored twice and then set 2 up.

And the man he set up for those 2 goals is the aforementioned quality Argentine striker, who came in on a free worth £4.7mil I think, came off the bench in his first game, didn't score, then was down to £700k. Last game he scored twice, and is now worth £975k, so the form thing may be it.

My young keeper has been in good form all season, and wanted by a English Premier League club. His value shot up to about £900k at one point, now worth £130k again.

I wouldn't mind moves up and down depending on form on small amounts, but it's all a bit mad and annoying how it fluctuates so much.

I'm noticing the same in my FM08 game. Haven't really played FM09 long enough to see how different it is.

At Scunthorpe I've had some really talented players valued at a pittance and I've had some players whose values rocketed up to > £4 million and then all the way back down to a few hundred thousand again. In one case I was kicking myself for not selling a player when he was highly valued instead of only being worth a packet of crisps a few months later.

So it doesn't just happen in the Scottish leagues, hmmm.

I can understand someone's value going up a few thousand or hundred thousand if he has a good/bad run of say, 5-10 games. But seemingly unrelated, and sizeable swings in value seem quite odd, and yes, can be frustrating when you come to sell a fringe player in the transfer window who was worth a decent amount before, but now worth a pittance.

Worst of all is wanting to see the value of your players, who are playing in the 1st team and playing well, slowly grow, only for it to all flip on it's head and his value be right down again.

An unrelated comment; why do so many big clubs want huge loan fees and full wages paid for every single loan, even if it's one of their youngsters who would surely do better playing in the first team elsewhere. I can understand if they have a 30k a week player who is out of favour, but a youngster whose wages you can nearly pay, but not quite, and you stand no chance of getting him.

I can see the swing with the free player, as he was new and definately taking a step down from San Lorenzo in the Argentine League to Hibs in the SPL. Although annoying as the player is no less a player now than he was when he signed. But I can kind of see it as a club like Hibs always sell their players for way less than if the same player had come through the youth ranks of a club from a bigger reputation league.

However, that doesn't explain why Steven Fletcher, who was always at Hibs and is in stupidly good form, would fluctuate up to over £4million, then back down to under £2million. He's not had a bad patch of form or a career threatening injury, and has a long time on his contract.

No the club finances have remained consistent.

Funny thing is, a few players have kept their value the same too. One defender I bought for a total, with add ons etc, totalling £1.3m, and he has stayed at that value ever since. His form has been more patchy than, say, Fletcher who I mentioned before.

Very strange indeed!

Same happened to me mate, at Rangers and Fleck would be valued at 5mil then go down to 1mil in a few weeks. Happened to heaps of players at the club.

Mind you this happened in the early seasons at Rangers. I am now in 2013 and my players values slowly increase/decrease, I dont find any dramatic value changes at all now.

Archived