Obsessed with Short Passing and Quick Tempo

Recently, I have noticed that alot of people are obsessed with Short passing and Quick Tempo.

The reason being is they want their style of play to mirror Arsenal's.

However, is Arsenal's style of play really short passing and quick tempo?

In my opinion, the answer is No.

Yes, some players are set to short passing, however, some players are also set to mixed/direct.

The football Arsenal play is definately quick tempo as they move the ball quickly. However, players like Fabregas, Nasri, Denilson etc are not afraid to play a very direct through ball.

They have certainly done many through balls that bypass even their own teammates to the furthest player up the pitch.

They have certainly done many through balls that gone down the flanks instead of passing to their nearest teammates.

Instead, I noticed that the players that tend to pass to their nearest teammates most often are the Defenders and not the midfielders/strikers.

If the entire team is set on passing to short, how can there be any attacking passes, or passes that pierce the opposition?

Take a look at this picture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:780px-Long-through.PNG

As you can see, a DMC player is attempting a long through ball.

If he is set on short passing, he won't attempt a through ball but instead pass it to either the DCs or the MCs.

Now, imagine the ball is at the MC feet. If set on short passing, his nearest passing options are the wingers, DMC and his fellow MC. He won't attempt a through ball too!

Bear in mind that Direct football in the game, is not what the media IRL panned it out to be.

The media IRL loves to associate direct football with long balls, boring, one style of approach.

However, in the game, direct football is playing the ball directly up the field as quickly as possible. The ball can be on the ground, can have an intricate set of passing for it and it definately can be nice to watch.

This can be done by,

1) having your players play as a unit

2) giving some players a different set of passing

If every player has short passing, there will be very few through balls, players are easier to marked and obviously, will result in more missed chances.

This might be a reason why some people have trouble scoring.

This is my view on the game and I wish everyone a Happy New Year.

Good luck in the game and hope you have fun. :)

My tactic (downloadable further down this board) is much based on short, quick passing. But it does work. I have through balls set on often for more or less everyone barr my defence, and they play many of them too.

You should try it/look at the team instructions etc.

I have my players set to short passing, and the ones who have a good passing attribute with try through balls often, and they make a lot of assists with through balls, even if they have very short passing (1/20). For example, Gerrard and Xabi Alonso made a lot of assists and try to make through balls with very short passing and try through balls often.

I have my players set to short passing, and the ones who have a good passing attribute with try through balls often, and they make a lot of assists with through balls, even if they have very short passing (1/20). For example, Gerrard and Xabi Alonso made a lot of assists and try to make through balls with very short passing and try through balls often.

Do you have some PKM's to show examples of successful assist from throughballs while they are set to 1 short passing? As I found it doesn't work good at all, as the passing is too short to attempt a throughball at times especially on 1 passing. Ticking the TTB option only instructs them to do attempt them more, but the passing itself determines a large part of how successful that TTB becomes along with decisions etc.

My tactic (downloadable further down this board) is much based on short, quick passing. But it does work. I have through balls set on often for more or less everyone barr my defence, and they play many of them too.

You should try it/look at the team instructions etc.

I took a peek at your team instructions, and you have creative freedom set to max for 6 of your players! You also have through balls set for your defenders and Gk despite them being on short passing.

Who do you expect your defenders to make a through ball to?

If it is to your strikers, how can a short through ball reach them w/o being intercepted?

Nevertheless, if your tactic is really working, as you claim it is, then good job. :)

The thread is mainly for those who has tried this system and failed.

Do you have some PKM's to show examples of successful assist from throughballs while they are set to 1 short passing? As I found it doesn't work good at all, as the passing is too short to attempt a throughball at times especially on 1 passing. Ticking the TTB option only instructs them to do attempt them more, but the passing itself determines a large part of how successful that TTB becomes along with decisions etc.

I don't know what does PKM mean, but I'll post some screenshots.

Gerrard.jpg

Beanyoun.jpg

As you can see both of them performed quite good and made a lot of assists, specially Gerrard. Also, the pass completion is really high. I have both of them with very short passing (1/20) and try through balls often. I play with a 442, Benayoun plays sometimes in the left wing and sometimes in the right wing, Gerrard plays as a central midfielder or right winger, depending on the match. Team tempo is quick (15/20) in away games and very quick (20/20) in home games, team with is wide (15/20) in away games and very wide in home games (20/20). I hope it helps you. ;)

However, is Arsenal's style of play really short passing and quick tempo?
The football Arsenal play is definately quick tempo as they move the ball quickly.

The answer is NO!! However, I believe there is some history behind the "short passing/quick tempo" belief. During the late 90s and early 2000s the Arsenal played a quick passing, direct kind of game (this is what you are thinking of right?)...starting with Anelka (even the late Wright era) and then with Henry, they used to get a lot of "counter-attack"-style goals via direct TTBs. (Sidenote: I believe Man U are currently playing this way). Then at some point the game changed and they started playing the short passing, quick style (one touch football) that a lot of people assume they are still playing. The Arsenal "invincibles" played this way. Several iterations of FM/CM ago there was a tactic doing the rounds that exactly pointed at how Arsenal went about it. Even though they were mostly playing a 442, it was a very assymetrical 442. They moved the ball down the left with Pires and Henry doing the running and Ljungberg bombing into the area from the right, Bergkamp hanging back "in the hole".

Right now though, they are playing a short passing, SLOW TEMPO game (control tactics). They play this way until the final third and then try to find openings via TTBs. This is just my opinion but I do not find it nearly as attractive to watch as most commentators of the game seem to make out. Maybe they are still thinking of the game they USED to play....and no, I am not talking of the ugly, horrible football they are playing right now, but what they have generally been playing all season.

(Most of last season the Arsenal played what you say, a quick, direct style).

There have been times, notably against Fenerbache and a couple of LC games when the youngsters were playing when Arsenal did revert to the short, quick style of play, but I believe this had more to do with their opponents allowing them to play that kind of game.

I think two things have happened. Opponents do not generally allow Arsenal to play the quick/short game and as a whole they do not have the pace in the team (at the moment) to do it anyway. By and large they have become too predictable.

PS. I am a lifelong Arsenal fan so I am allowed to criticize! ;)

We are certainly more direct these days, but we do play the short passing quick tempo still with a select few on through balls, noteably cesc and VP. The tactis have to change dependingon the players you have. We now have Ade holding it up with nasri cutting in with his TB and walcott/eboue crossing from wide. This isnt a million miles away from what we used to play, just that other teams didnt know how to play it or counteract it. Unfortunately now they do, and tactics have developed further with players having better technique.

It is an illusion really. Think about it. To play high tempo and percieved short passing you need movement as well as good technique. These things give the illusion of playing a fast short passing game when in fact you still have the direct through ball or the direct balls down the wings for the wingers to run onto or through balls played from the back into midfield for the MC's/winger (who cut inside) to receive and then to pass it on. Its the movement, and the technique of the players that really define how you can play. We questionably do not have these players anymore and therefore have to play a bit more direct. But as i have said we do still mix it up depending on the stage of the game and who we are playing against. We both play a direct attacking game and a slow, short passing control tactics. We also through in a standard direct counter attacking game.

I forgot to mention that width plays a vital part in how you are going to play as well. Its very difficult to play short when wide, threfore you have to play a bit more mixed if you are to unlock teams who part the perverbial bus in front of gaol.

just that other teams didnt know how to play it or counteract it.

Exactly. So what has happened as a consequence is this: (Forgetting about the really bad days) Arsenal are playing two types of football. Against attacking sides, eg. the Man Us, Chelseas, etc. they are playing the quick tempo stuff. It is partly short, one touch football and partly direct. Disregarding long-direct balls, the directness of play is mostly evident in the last third of the pitch where it works since attacking teams have nowhere near the numbers back in defense. Against defensive sides, eg. the Stokes and Hulls, etc. Arsenal are not allowed to play this way because (1) there is hardly any space to put in direct, through balls (as a result of these teams having learnt to counter the Arsenal way) and (2) Arsenal are thus mostly trying to rely on (all my opinion) short through balls...the "magic ball" or trying to create the "perfect goal"...this is an infinitely more difficult way of scoring goals and as a fan I find it very frustrating to watch at times.

We now have Ade holding it up with nasri cutting in with his TB and walcott/eboue crossing from wide. This isnt a million miles away from what we used to play

Henry also used to hold the ball up, but in a very different way, because the team used to play a different kind of shape that suited the way Henry played. I believe hold-up play to be a tactical mistake in the current team. As for Walcott/Eboue crossing. Walcott in particular has impressed me at times with his crossing ability but as a rule, the crosses happen (against defensive sides) when the area is packed and in open play only Adebayor has any sort of heading ability...not good odds.

I don't believe Arsenal have been very good as a "crossing side" for a number of years now. For a number of reasons they are just not suited to playing this way.

We both play a direct attacking game and a slow, short passing control tactics.

Exactly, slow, short passing up to the business end of the pitch at which time Arsenal tend to switch to direct attacking (this is what happens against the majority of teams and is wholly different to how Arsenal played a few years ago, when Arsenal tried to actually GET TO the business end of the pitch as fast as possible...I have heard it repeated that Arsenal used to train this specifically...not sure if they still do). Refer again: the game in the League cup against Wigan this year. The young gunners played the kind of game Arsenal USED TO play on that day.

We questionably do not have these players anymore

Questionable yes. I think we have the players, but they are not being utilized in the right way (for the most part). Again I think back of the Henry/Pires/Ljungberg/Viera/Bergkamp era. Those players defined the whole Arsenal style then.

Currently Arsenal has Walcott on the right (the opposite side to Pires) who plays the Pires-kinda game. Check. Nasri cuts in on the left....good, but I hardly ever see him make a run into the box in the same way Ljungberg used to when the ball is on the right in open play. Ljungberg had a gift for (1) arriving late and (2) being in the right place at the right time. (Nasri is still young, so hopefully he will learn.)

Fabregas this year has been by MILES the biggest disappointment. I know he is no Viera (different player) but I have found that he plays a "stand off" kinda game far too often. How many times can you remember Viera bombing through the middle? There are those that lay a lot of the blame on the fact that Arsenal do not have an enforcer in midfield. I go a different route. I think instead of that, they need a fast, attacking player alongside Fabregas....someone running into channels through the middle....if the rumours have some basis, Arshavin would be the PERFECT player in this regard.

There is only one Bergkamp so I am not going to try to compare any of the current crop with him, but who has been tried in that role this year? Van Persie at times. Diaby? Van Persie is a left winger that has been converted into a center forward. If ONLY he had Kuyt's workrate. (I need not say anymore save for the fact that I reckon he belongs in left wing). Diaby again has shown glimpses but has not featured enough to really tell.

As for Adebayor/Henry... like I said, using Adebayor in a hold up-role is a mistake. He is powerful and fast...he should be told to roam free like Henry used to and allow Fabregas to search him out. Wenger is wasting both in that regard.

I forgot to mention that width plays a vital part in how you are going to play as well. Its very difficult to play short when wide....unlock teams who part the perverbial bus in front of gaol

I can agree with this in part, though width and short-passing are not wholly mutually exclusive. I believe that an effective strategy against "parkers" is to combine short and direct-TTB play even (/especially) when playing wide. The idea is to create a short-passing "pocket" on one side of the pitch (in an attacking area) in order to draw opposition players, then switch to a direct-TTB game whilst trying to play players in on the other side/middle that should find themselves in more space.

Not far removed from the old Arsenal way. The trick is to get the ball to one side up the field as quick as possible, i.e. you have to start an attack from deep pretty directly (or via a good run). The current "slow build up" is not working.

OP: sorry for moving off-point a bit.

Sorry, but I don't think Arsenal is playing a slow tempo atm. Slower than last time, yes, but not really considered a slow tempo.

If they are slow, what about sides like Milan etc?

Anyway, the main point of the article is not to determine the passing/tempo of Arsenal's, but to advise people that if you want to play short/quick, some players have to be on mixed/direct passing to make some quicker passes to pierce through the opposition defence!

I have seen many tactics that have every player on short passing while tempo is quick(no offense to the creator of the tactic), that is why I decided to start this thread to help them realise that short/quick is very very hard to achieve.

Arsenal71 is on the right track. Direct passing can also be on the ground. It might look like a short pass but some of it are direct.

Glad to have 2 Arsenal fans come in to discuss :)

Lets say your defenders just won the ball back and he's set to direct passing, it means the ball is played from defence to midfield to attack and don't by pass a section. Now the type of ball can be on the ground, just off the ground or high.

I don't know what does PKM mean, but I'll post some screenshots.

As you can see both of them performed quite good and made a lot of assists, specially Gerrard. Also, the pass completion is really high. I have both of them with very short passing (1/20) and try through balls often. I play with a 442, Benayoun plays sometimes in the left wing and sometimes in the right wing, Gerrard plays as a central midfielder or right winger, depending on the match. Team tempo is quick (15/20) in away games and very quick (20/20) in home games, team with is wide (15/20) in away games and very wide in home games (20/20). I hope it helps you. ;)

A PKM is a saved match.

In FM, you are able to save the replay of a match. The replay is called a PKM.

Actually looking at the screenshots, 8 assists in 21 matches is actually ok for a world class midfielder like Gerrard, considering he got 23 assists last season(although that was for the entire season in all competitions)

Things like creative freedom affect a players' decision making, and if he see that a through ball should be played, he will play it even though you have set him on short passing.

I can't really comment much on the screenshot as I'm not really a expert though. :)

I've also noticed many are using short quick counter attack style of play and with some good results as well. But I'd think it shouldnt work so well, unless maybe you had exceptional players, which I think is the case. Those who use short and quick style of play seems to have very skilful players. But in reality and in the game short passing along with quick tempo just shouldnt work so well. With quick tempo there's more chance of loss of possession. Off the ball movements along with Technique/first touch/creativity/flair/teamwork/stamina/passing is crucial. But tempo and passing style is heavily connected with more things like run with ball, creativity and through balls. If this is used correctly with defined roles with very skilful attackers it might work out very well. But it would be a disaster for mediocre teams and less skilful teams. Just imagine a real life Bolton playing this way.

The fathers of short passing, Brazil, they never had quick tempo. They had great off the ball movements along with great skills and great teamwork, but their build up was slow and steady with lots of pressure as their whole team was capable of taking part in possession. The most important thing during possession in short passing football is helping the ball carrier, by getting close to him and receive the ball, either pass to another player and move. So its pass and move, pass and move.

But I do think faster tempo is reflected in the modern football. With improved training and emphasis on fitness players move faster for longer time. In reality very few teams are playing extra slow football anymore. One of the reason for it I think is that with time players are getting better physically and worse mentally. And for defenders defending a very high defensive line takes a lot of concentration which players like Beckenbauer and Baresi could in the 70s and 80s, but nowadays its harder with different offside rules and MUCH quicker strikers capable of beating offside traps and leaving defenders.

On that note though, I'd really wanna try to build a team using classic style of play with very slow build up, short passing, high defensive line with offside traps with many players attacking, perhabs playing 4-2-4 like they did. Might be fun.

Archived