Questions on passing and crossing

On the passing slider, there are 6 for short, 7 for mixed, 6 for Direct and 1 for Long.

Q1)What is the difference between passing of 1 and 6?

Q2)What is the difference between passing of 7 and 13?

Q3)What is the difference between passing of 14 and 19?

The answer to Q1 is in one of Cleon's thread. Passing of 1-3 is nearly 1 touch football. However, I don't really understand what is the difference for the rest, especially for the passing between 7 and 13 (mixed).

And for crossing, its more of a rant than a question. :)

Why can't I select the cross height? After playing a season using my 2 pacy midget strikers, nearly 90% of the goals they score from crosses come from low crosses to the far post where they just tap it in.

I remember Arsenal when they were using Henry. He wasn't really a good header of the ball despite his height, so Arsenal played low crosses. The winger would run to the byline and do a cutback.

Is there a way to encourage the winger to make more low crosses to the far post or more cutbacks to the far post?

I already have them to Cross to Far Post and Cross from Byline.

Thanks for reading :)

Think of passing 1 as one touch football and 20 as long, then each notch after 1 is a slight progression to the next stage. If you alter passing just by a few notches you'll not notice too much difference and it shouldn't impact the tactic at all. However going from 1 to 8 you might notice the players playing slightly longer passes than normal and this could have an impact. If its just the odd notch here and there then it doesn't make the slightest of differences in all honesty.

Mixed passing means a player will try short passes when needed, long when needed and direct when needed. He takes all the passing styles and is allowed to use which he things best for that particular situation. If the player isn't good mentally though then mixed might not be the best solotuion as he could make the wrong decisions etc.

As for making the wingers cut the ball back acrtoss goal for the striker to run onto, ensure the winger has the higher mentality so he arrives at the byline before the striker enters the box. Then you'll see the winger cut the ball back across the box rather than a cross to the far post etc.

A good way is to find a really fast winger and give him a high mentality. I see it happen quite a lot in some of my other games. When I'm not so busy with the Sheff Utd project I'll try and get some PKM's up of this happening for you :)

Thanks Cleon. :)

Regarding passing, I thought direct isn't considered long passing. So how can I view that each notch of 1 is a slight progression towards long?

I thought it was focused more on the style of passing, rather than passing becoming longer and longer.

And for mixed passing, what is the difference between the left-most mixed (7) and the right most mixed(13)?

Does the left-most mixed(7) means more inclined to short rather than direct/long?

Oh and about the crossing thingy.

Does this means I should give the winger a higher mentality than the striker?

I'm already giving my winger a very low mentality as I find him very high up the park and as a result, my MCs/FBs don't pass to him. :(

Thanks Cleon. :)

Regarding passing, I thought direct isn't considered long passing. So how can I view that each notch of 1 is a slight progression towards long?

I thought it was focused more on the style of passing, rather than passing becoming longer and longer.

And for mixed passing, what is the difference between the left-most mixed (7) and the right most mixed(13)?

Does the left-most mixed(7) means more inclined to short rather than direct/long?

No passing is a progression to the next stage. All you should think about passing is short, mixed, direct and long. Think of it as 4 settings rather than 20. The numbers just represent the progression to the next stage. So there won't be much visual difference between 1 and 2 for passing its just that the game will use these numbers to calculate things etc.

As the last bit yes spot on :)

Does this means I should give the winger a higher mentality than the striker?

I'm already giving my winger a very low mentality as I find him very high up the park and as a result, my MCs/FBs don't pass to him. :(

Well you've instructed him to cross from byline so hes inclined to always try and reach the byline, this can mean he gets isolated. Why not adjust the mentalities of the fullbacks or passing so they try and get him more involved?

Oh I get it.

So a direct passing of 14 would means direct but on the floor, and a direct passing of 19 would means direct, but more towards the long balls?

Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

Well you've instructed him to cross from byline so hes inclined to always try and reach the byline, this can mean he gets isolated. Why not adjust the mentalities of the fullbacks or passing so they try and get him more involved?

Regarding this, what do you think should be the mentality gaps between the fullbacks and wingers?

Both of mine has FWRs often and a passing of 14.

However, they are on the same mentality, which is 12.

Thanks!

Oh I get it.

So a direct passing of 14 would means direct but on the floor, and a direct passing of 19 would means direct, but more towards the long balls?

Correct me if I'm wrong lol.

Regarding this, what do you think should be the mentality gaps between the fullbacks and wingers?

Both of mine has FWRs often and a passing of 14.

However, they are on the same mentality, which is 12.

Thanks!

In regards to the passing yeah, try it out in certain games. Start a game up that you're not bothered about and play around.

As for gaps I'm unsure I change based on what I see in a game.

Is there a way to encourage the winger to make more low crosses to the far post or more cutbacks to the far post?

I already have them to Cross to Far Post and Cross from Byline.

Thanks for reading :)

I discovered a way to make them do that practically all the time. Mentality must be very high, Forward Runs on Mixed or Often, Run With Ball Often, Long Shots Rarely, Through Balls Rarely, Cross Ball Rarely. Team Width set to Normal or slightly less helps so that they are just inside penalty area when they make the cut-back.

The wingers do awesome cut-backs this way. You're telling them that's all you want them to do with those instructions (even though there's no "Cut-Back" option as such). And occasionally they run across the by-line, Messi-like, round the keeper and score themselves.

I discovered a way to make them do that practically all the time. Mentality must be very high, Forward Runs on Mixed or Often, Run With Ball Often, Long Shots Rarely, Through Balls Rarely, Cross Ball Rarely. Team Width set to Normal or slightly less helps so that they are just inside penalty area when they make the cut-back.

The wingers do awesome cut-backs this way. You're telling them that's all you want them to do with those instructions (even though there's no "Cut-Back" option as such). And occasionally they run across the by-line, Messi-like, round the keeper and score themselves.

How high mentality do you give them?

And how about the rest of your team's mentality? Are their mentalities' high as well?

After some testing, I played a match where I gave my Wingers these instructions.

Mentality: 12 ( I didn't give him a higher mentality as I found it really isolate him)

Creative Freedom: 11

FWR: Often

RWB: Often

TTB: Rare

Long Shots: Rare

Cross Ball: Mixed (I did mixed because he wasn't cutting it back when set on rare, instead he will pass it back to the fullback)

Cross from: Byline

Cross to: Far Post

I created 6 CCCs just from the wingers running in and cutting it back alone!

My Wingers are Aquino and Marquinhos and my opponents were Sevilla. This is very good considering I'm Real Betis.

On a side note, I only scored twice from these crosses. Furthermore, despite setting my wingers to cross to far post, both my goals came from the middle!

The highlights said that the wingers "centred" the ball.

I'm not really sure whether I should keep Cross to Far post, or change it to Centre/Mixed.

Anyone kind enough to give some feedback? :)

How high mentality do you give them?

And how about the rest of your team's mentality? Are their mentalities' high as well?

At the moment I'm experimenting with pretty diverse mentalities and disregarding the Assistant Manager's feedback concerning gaps. My wingers have the highest mentality (full Attacking on individual instructions slider). Striker about 5 clicks below that (lowest click of Attacking), AMC the same and MCa the same. MCd 5 clicks below that, and DC's and GK 5 clicks below that in turn.

I leave their crossing aim on mixed, to leave it up to them who to cut-back to. And, I only do the cut-back thing when I'm playing this Attacking formation, otherwise I want my wingers to cross normally and cross early sometimes.

What Cleon said is good advice, I just noticed that removing crossing altogether worked even better for me. Don't know why it didn't for lyw_85. Sorry.

Archived