Closing Down Early?

Hi, does anyone know how I can instruct fullbacks to close down a particular opposing winger earlier so he is forced to whip in early crosses (which are easier to defend) or simply eliminate his crossing threat? Also, how can I instruct them to stop a winger from cutting inwards, thus forcing him to try and hit the byline and cross (harder for those without pace or dribbling)?

why not use opposition instructions for that winger, with closing down high, tackling hard and show onto weaker foot? then you will certainly eliminate that threat most of the time, assuming you got high tackling stats for that fullback

I would avoid using closing down often on quick technically gifted players because they'll probably just end up skinning you full back and leaving them for dead. I tend to find showing them onto the foot opposite to the wing they play (ie: Showing the left winger onto his right foot and vice versa) cuts down on the crosses but only do this if the strikers in their team are big strong strikers, if they have short quick players with low heading and jumping stats I'd reccomend allowing them to put crosses in as your DC's should have no problems clearing the ball away with their heads.

I personally fel that the Fullbacks are broken !

- In 08 they stayed wide all the time resulting in that when playing against a wingless formation we basiclly only used 9 of our 11 players when defending. But when they tried to fix this fo 09 they overdid it big time !!. Now they fullbacks Regadless of marking settings and closing down just cant make up their mind if they are coming to push the winger down the line and try to block the cross or help out in the box. They can be relativly close to the winger about 30 yards+ from the byline but then they just run along his side moving slighly more towards to the goal...in the end ding absolutelly nothing, not try to tackle, him, not trying to block his cross , not helping out in the box, often he actually moves away from the cross. I find this to be a massive flaw. And when a winger is under absolut no pressure he delievers perfect crosses, so perfect that it does not matter how good in the air the receiver is or if he is alone on the box against 5 of my top notch defenders, since the team are rewarded for the cross(or the other team punished for not putting any pressure at all on him)

- In 08 they stayed wide all the time resulting in that when playing against a wingless formation we basiclly only used 9 of our 11 players when defending. But when they tried to fix this fo 09 they overdid it big time !!. Now they fullbacks Regadless of marking settings and closing down just cant make up their mind if they are coming to push the winger down the line and try to block the cross or help out in the box. They can be relativly close to the winger about 30 yards+ from the byline but then they just run along his side moving slighly more towards to the goal...in the end ding absolutelly nothing, not try to tackle, him, not trying to block his cross , not helping out in the box, often he actually moves away from the cross. I find this to be a massive flaw. And when a winger is under absolut no pressure he delievers perfect crosses, so perfect that it does not matter how good in the air the receiver is or if he is alone on the box against 5 of my top notch defenders, since the team are rewarded for the cross(or the other team punished for not putting any pressure at all on him)

kind of agree about their marking. it doesn't feel right.

the best way to set them is to have them on loose zonal. but be awere that width is playing important role here. it needs to be adjusted to opponent's width. playing very narrow against a team who plays wide will make it even worse.

My opinion too. When my fullback with 15 tackling gets skinned by a winger with dribbling of 4 its plain stupid. And its not just once, its 3 times in one run as my fullback is faster so he catches up again for a second and third go at him.

My opinion too. When my fullback with 15 tackling gets skinned by a winger with dribbling of 4 its plain stupid. And its not just once, its 3 times in one run as my fullback is faster so he catches up again for a second and third go at him.

With that I have no problem, that they miss the tackle,. It sthe fact that they dont attempt anything thats the issue

Archived