Can't win after December???

Ok, i've tried a couple of games with Portsmouth playing around with tactics until i can develop something that works. ive been fairly successful and i manage to play good football and get good results.

Now that ive got a basis for how i play i started a new career to play properly. I adjust my tactic slightly most games depending on who im playing, mainly just mentality, creative freedom, and defensive line.

This works great and ive been doing well, scoring goals against the easier teams and keeping it close against the better ones and ive managed to stay consistently 5th-7th in the league, which is what i would hope for the first season. My problem is that when i get to December i can't seem to win a game against anyone! My form just suddenly collapses with no warning, and it never returns, ive played right through to the end of the season on 2 occasions now and the same thing happened both times.

Any ideas or suggestions, cause im getting really frustrated!!

Much of it is the AI adapting. Some will say it "learns your tactics", but I don't think this is is. Instead, it's reacting to your results. At first, the AI might go out to win, and you take advantage of the gaps in their formation. Then, after a few months, it sees you're being sucessful, so instead of setting out to win, it sets out to get a draw with a more defensive tactic. Your tactics are bets suited to beating teams who are playing more openly, so they fall down.

so what do i do to beat teams who are playing more defensively?? any suggestions on how id alter my tactics to counter this??

Play more attacking. Quicker tempo, more width, higher defensive line, more closing down, change formation to put another man up front if you can, shorter passing on certain attacking players etc.

Play more attacking. Quicker tempo, more width, higher defensive line, more closing down, change formation to put another man up front if you can, shorter passing on certain attacking players etc.

This can work, but sometimes it's better to go slow tempo, low DLine, high width and try to draw the opposition onto you, hence making space that your team can exploit.

There's not one surefire solution, try things and see what happens :D

I had a similar experience for a few matches in December but then in January I brought in another striker and went 4-3-3 Attack and went for the next five matches hell for leather – won 4 easily and lost won (too gung-ho) went back to my tried and tested formation and tactics and ended up winning League One with Leeds with 3 matches to go. (nope not a Leeds fan – but a good starting club to build a good rep – now known as World Class!)

Second season is a month old and with all my free experienced player signing (as I have not a lot to spend – we all like a good freebie – that’s 14 players in for nothing and 10 out for more then £2m) I am 4th in the Championship just 4 points behind….

If you find out, can you let Benitez know.

:D

On a more serious note, yeah I think it has something to do with the odds being recomputed at the end of December or something like that. Just notice why you're loosing, is it because the opposition is literally parking the bus? Or did they opt for a Counter attacking strategy which is creating too many chances?

If its the former, increasing the CF/tempo/width, or just making a more attacking strategy would be the solution. If its the latter, probably configure the DM a little better and use OI on the target striker to closedown / tightmark or whateever.

Archived