Tactic and formation with this starting XI?

These players look pretty good overall. However, there is one big potential problem - you don't have a single midfielder that can perform defensive duties properly, apart from Tonali. Or if you have some, they are definitely not in the screenshots you posted.

You also need to post a screenshot of your current tactic. Then we can discuss how it could potentially be improved. 

I was using this at the start of the season but I just couldn't win games. I've finished 6th  the last 2 years but I'm not going to get top half at this rate. I do sometimes change the roles from defend to support and vice versa, depending on opposition. I try not to change too much at once. Since I got Reinier in though I've wanted him in the whole to feed Esposito but it's just not happening. I would be happy re training him as a centre mid.

image.thumb.png.c8a299fa897942c787cf7958cf43b591.png

I'd play a 4-4-1-1 with Reinier as the AMC and Esposito as the Striker.

Grealish seems like he would make an interesting Wide playmaker or wide midfielder with his PPMs. You could use him to create an overload on the left, maybe with Reinier as an AMC or even Enganche (not too sure), and Tonali as a DLP / CM(s) / Mez(s). Tonali can then switch the play. That would then create space or 1v1 situations with the fullback for Nelson on the other side which has amazing stats (16 pace / accel / technique / dribbling and very decent off the ball).

That could be one way of attacking for this team I think. Second one would be Grealish and Tonali giving through balls to Esposito or Reinier maybe ?

Not too sure about all that just what came to my mind after a quick glance at your players.

Edited by Fatkidscantjump

That's a good looking collection of players @Wwarrddy

You've got 2/3rds of my former midfield there with Tonali and Ibou Sissoko... good times with those guys, good times :-)

Definitely looks like you have around 15-16 proper first team players to choose from and I've gone with this 11:

image.thumb.png.c74dd9fe8f4a3763adb377aabdd7baf6.png

After seeing how it played out (or didn't), would swap Grealish and Esposito, which could mean shaking up the front 3 roles overall.

Really that's just my main tactic from the past few seasons - as your front 6 would fit it well. While the screenshot says AMC - all three MFs are in the mid tier.

Edited by CaptCanuck

3 hours ago, CaptCanuck said:

That's a good looking collection of players @Wwarrddy

You've got 2/3rds of my former midfield there with Tonali and Ibou Sissoko... good times with those guys, good times :-)

Definitely looks like you have around 15-16 proper first team players to choose from and I've gone with this 11:

image.thumb.png.c74dd9fe8f4a3763adb377aabdd7baf6.png

After seeing how it played out (or didn't), would swap Grealish and Esposito, which could mean shaking up the front 3 roles overall.

Really that's just my main tactic from the past few seasons - as your front 6 would fit it well. While the screenshot says AMC - all three MFs are in the mid tier.

Thanks man, I'll give it ago. What about TIs. Play through middle, play wider, shorter passing is what I'm thinking. I paid 2 million for Ibou, he's been a rock!

20 hours ago, Fatkidscantjump said:

I'd play a 4-4-1-1 with Reinier as the AMC and Esposito as the Striker.

Grealish seems like he would make an interesting Wide playmaker or wide midfielder with his PPMs. You could use him to create an overload on the left, maybe with Reinier as an AMC or even Enganche (not too sure), and Tonali as a DLP / CM(s) / Mez(s). Tonali can then switch the play. That would then create space or 1v1 situations with the fullback for Nelson on the other side which has amazing stats (16 pace / accel / technique / dribbling and very decent off the ball).

That could be one way of attacking for this team I think. Second one would be Grealish and Tonali giving through balls to Esposito or Reinier maybe ?

Not too sure about all that just what came to my mind after a quick glance at your players.

Nice one. I do get some one on ones with Hlozek on the right on occasion, he does pretty well in all but I'm glad I have the option of him or Nelson. Currently 30 games into this season, really want to finish strong!

1 hour ago, Wwarrddy said:

Thanks man, I'll give it ago. What about TIs. Play through middle, play wider, shorter passing is what I'm thinking. I paid 2 million for Ibou, he's been a rock!

Ya Ibou is excellent value and definitely a tank in the middle with his size and a real help on corners :-) It wasn't till 2025/26 where I moved him on after 5 seasons.

Obviously it depends exactly how you want to play, but I don't use too many IIRC... Short passing/Higher tempo/Work into box - Short Kicks/Counter press - Higher LOE, Higher DL, More urgent.

That front 6 is versatile enough to play however you want really :-)

On 17/09/2020 at 23:39, Wwarrddy said:

image.thumb.png.c8a299fa897942c787cf7958cf43b591.png

On 17/09/2020 at 23:39, Wwarrddy said:

I was using this at the start of the season but I just couldn't win games

Just look at the left side of this setup - IF, mezzala and FB all on attack duties. No wonder you've been struggling. Not just it's extremely vulnerable defensively - more than obvious why - but is not helpful attacking-wise either, simply because there is no balance between roles and duties. Everyone is just looking to surge forward and attack space, but none is helping to create that space. 

Then what's the reasoning behind the defend duty of the DLP (Tonali)? It's not the 4231 but 4123 (i.e. 4141dm wide, as the game officially calls this formation). Therefore, the DLP can - and should - comfortably be played on support duty. But that's still much less of a problem than the terrible imbalance of roles and duties on the left side.