What am I doing wrong (4-2-3-1)?

I'm playing as Roma in Serie A, and these are our results

Lecce Away (4-0 win)
Genoa Home (4-0 win)
Cagliari Home (1-1 draw)
Rosenborg Home (2-0 win)
Inter Away (2-2 draw)
Torino Home (1-1 draw, Torino played with 10 men for the complete second half)

Please provide insight on what I'm doing wrong, and why I went from winning 4-0 twice, to not being able to defeat Cagliari and Torino at home.

tactics.thumb.png.13743a3c7c50382d3f4ea9b45adfdcd4.png

Edited by dracula28

Just looking at the player roles, a few things to me stand out

The BBM in CM. One thing I learnt last year was that in a 4-2-3-1 those 2 CMs need to be solid as a rock. One's main job needs to defend & the other's to shuttle the ball to the front 4, that's all they need to do. CM(D) & a CM(S) is the simplest combo you can have there & make sure neither of them is a slouch. Ideally you want the more defensive CM on the left helping to cover for the attacking FB

Another thing is the two playmakers, with two BPDs & a DLF, that's five players right down the spine of your team making risky passes, it's overkill. One BPD, I'd keep as an outlet from defence even though you have two wingbacks wanting to run the ball out of defence, ditch one for a fullback on the left. Tied in with the above, ditch the DLP(D) too

Then up top, a DLF(A) & AP(S) combo doesn't sit well with me either, both are creative roles looking to play the number 10. A forward looking to lead the line with lateral movement might be a good choice to pair with the IF(A)  ie an Advanced Forward, Pressing Forward, Complete Forward, Trequartista type      

Hope that helps some 

2 hours ago, dracula28 said:

tactics.thumb.png.13743a3c7c50382d3f4ea9b45adfdcd4.png

Here is the list of issues with this tactic IMHO:

Defense-wise

- poor vertical compactness (i.e. the greater-than-optimal distance between D-line and LOE), especially for a top-heavy system with no DM such as 4231

- which is then compounded by a fairly aggressive manner of defending (more urgent press, prevent short GKD & counter-press coupled with a high-risk team mentality) 

- poor defensive balance on the left flank (a very attack-minded fullback role without a holding or covering CM on his side)

Attacking-wise

- your very possession-heavy in-possession instructions tend to slow the play down a bit too much, which is likely to give the opposition enough time to consolidate their defense and get back in shape safely (except when the counter is on)

- this possession overkill is further compounded by your use of 2 playmaker roles (DLP and AP) in so close vicinity

- and then you also have a tactical inconsistency due to your crossing-heavy left flank (winger and WB on attack duty), which runs counter to your otherwise possession-oriented setup 

- plus both CBs in BPD role, which also sort of contradicts your possession-heavy tactic

2 hours ago, dracula28 said:

I'm playing as Roma in Serie A, and these are our results

Lecce Away (4-0 win)
Genoa Home (4-0 win)
Cagliari Home (1-1 draw)
Rosenborg Home (2-0 win)
Inter Away (2-2 draw)
Torino Home (1-1 draw, Torino played with 10 men for the complete second half)

Given the weaknesses of your tactic I listed above, these results are not bad at all :thup: