Roaming playmaker

I'm thinking of using a RPM for the first time, and I'm trying to understand how to best set it up. Just a bit of backstory first. I had a guy I was using for a couple of years as a BWM, but I decided he would make a fantastic segundo volante. And he was. I had heard that they pair well with an Anchorman, so I went out and bought the best anchorman money could buy. A match made in heaven. Now Real Madrid is coming in hot for my SV, and it's looking like our days together are numbered. <Sorry, I'm getting a bit of dust in my eye> Now I have a world class anchorman, but soon no SV. It is turning out to be difficult to find a good replacement, and I'm starting to think about alternatives that pair well with an anchorman. I was thinking of an RPM, but I don't have a good handle on how he would operate.

Anyway, tldr, in a 4-2-3-1 with an RPM in the DM strata, do you have any opinions about a good mix of roles for the 3 AM roles? I have a whole pipeline of AFs, so no adjustments will be made at the striker position. Do I need another playmaker? My old setup was usually IW(S) -- SS -- W(S), and my old SV(A) really pushed up nicely and seemed to work well in that space behind the SS and W. I have good options in the squad to instead make the W(S) a wide AP, or make the SS an AMC or AP, depending on how they would interact with the RPM. Any thoughts are welcomed.

Well, I told Buru (my segundo volante) that he was a valued leader in the clubhouse, and he decided he wanted to stay. Tears of joy, I love you too Buru. I didn't need that $172 million transfer fee anyway.

Anyway, I would still be interested in hearing more about how people like to deploy the roaming playmaker.

As an aside, this conversation seems way overpowered. I've gotten several players to turn down some big offers using it.

1 hour ago, fivetwelvepony said:

Do I need another playmaker?

Who is the first playmaker then? I am asking because you did not mention any other PM role existing in your current 4231 setup. The front four you mentioned are AF, SS, IW and W. And an anchor paired with a volante (or RPM potentially). Therefore, no PM.

Btw, can you post a screenshot of your current tactic?

9 minutes ago, fivetwelvepony said:

I was referring to a hypothetical situation (not my current tactic) where I have an anchorman and roaming playmaker in the DM space. in that scenario, what is a good way to setup the roles in the AM strata? Would it be useful to also have a playmaker there as well?

I personally tend to avoid having more than 1 PM role within a setup, unless they are far enough from each other. For example, RPM in DMCR and AP in AML

But then again, I know a number of examples of people claiming they have very successful tactics with as many as 3 PM roles positioned virtually next to one another. Although on the other hand, I know more examples of people struggling with tactics like that.

Basically, nothing in this game is set in stone. Different people have different tactical approaches and therefore they will give you different types of advice. This was just mine, so let's see what others will tell you :brock: