4-1-4-1 DM Wide, need feedback

Hello everyone,

Recently i made a tactic with an attacking-possession mentality.

The formation is 4-1-4-1 Dm Wide.

All the defenders and DM have "shoot less often" on.

2 CM, AMR/AML and Forward have "roam from position" on.

What do you think of this tactic?

I need some feedback and help.

Thank you all in advance.

image.thumb.png.87969dc651e611a24773d35d6ab27f96.png

Don't use 2 advanced playmakers

You might have problems penetrating the opponent's box because of your low tempo and extensive holding up the ball, and besides that a high pressing high defensive line game will not find space regularly behind opposition defences. This will mean that you will find more space on the edge of the box, and that your players will have no more easy forward passing options and so they will either elect to shoot from distance or make an unthreatening pass sideways or backwards, both of which will be wasteful. Your mentality will also increase the number of shots from distance and what you will see is a high number of shots, probably half of them or more from distance, and most of them will not be on target.

Your overall chance creation per game will be low.

Your mentality will also cause your most of your players to get ahead of the ball, resulting in wide open spaces behind your midfield and down the flanks.

In my opinion it's just too aggressive and you're going to be frustrated by a lack of efficiency and trouble breaking down teams that sit deep and narrow.

Edited by permanentquandary

1 hour ago, permanentquandary said:

Don't use 2 advanced playmakers

You might have problems penetrating the opponent's box because of your low tempo and extensive holding up the ball, and besides that a high pressing high defensive line game will not find space regularly behind opposition defences. This will mean that you will find more space on the edge of the box, and that your players will have no more easy forward passing options and so they will either elect to shoot from distance or make an unthreatening pass sideways or backwards, both of which will be wasteful. Your mentality will also increase the number of shots from distance and what you will see is a high number of shots, probably half of them or more from distance, and most of them will not be on target.

Your overall chance creation per game will be low.

Your mentality will also cause your most of your players to get ahead of the ball, resulting in wide open spaces behind your midfield and down the flanks.

In my opinion it's just too aggressive and you're going to be frustrated by a lack of efficiency and trouble breaking down teams that sit deep and narrow.

overall, you seem to be pretty right. how can i change my tactic then, what proprosals can you give me?

thanks.

14 hours ago, made_in_turkey4 said:

yeah i've tested it and "permanentquandary's quote seems to be right. what should i do to make it more effective?

I don't know which style of football you specifically want to play, but I would definitely avoid using so many instructions, would also be less aggressive out of possession and definitely agree with permanentquandary about 2 APs.

Keep it as simple as possible, add a bit more central penetration and pay attention to the overall balance of roles and duties. 

If I showed you what some of my most successful tactics look like and how simple they are, you probably wouldn't believe. But I always create tactics based on very deep and thorough analysis of my players, which makes the whole process a lot easier (at least as far as I am concerned). For example, if I manage Burnley, I am certainly not going to play like Man City, because my players will struggle to execute such kind of football. And vice versa, of course.

14 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't know which style of football you specifically want to play, but I would definitely avoid using so many instructions, would also be less aggressive out of possession and definitely agree with permanentquandary about 2 APs.

Keep it as simple as possible, add a bit more central penetration and pay attention to the overall balance of roles and duties. 

If I showed you what some of my most successful tactics look like and how simple they are, you probably wouldn't believe. But I always create tactics based on very deep and thorough analysis of my players, which makes the whole process a lot easier (at least as far as I am concerned). For example, if I manage Burnley, I am certainly not going to play like Man City, because my players will struggle to execute such kind of football. And vice versa, of course.

i would like to play like pep guardiola's style and i think i have signed some quality players to do that. based on that, wich instructions-formation, should i use generally then?

7 minutes ago, made_in_turkey4 said:

i would like to play like pep guardiola's style and i think i have signed some quality players to do that. based on that, wich instructions-formation, should i use generally then?

The best FM replication of Pep's style (in Man City) I've ever seen is Rashidi's Liquid 4123, which you can find on his YouTube channel Bust the net. It was created for FM19, but - like any well-designed and sensible tactic - can absolutely work in FM20 as well. I don't say that you have to use that exact tactic, but it can give you some inspiration to build your own. However, pay full attention to what Rashidi says when he describes and explains the tactic, because context always matters.

4 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

The best FM replication of Pep's style (in Man City) I've ever seen is Rashidi's Liquid 4123, which you can find on his YouTube channel Bust the net. It was created for FM19, but - like any well-designed and sensible tactic - can absolutely work in FM20 as well. I don't say that you have to use that exact tactic, but it can give you some inspiration to build your own. However, pay full attention to what Rashidi says when he describes and explains the tactic, because context always matters.

okay, thank you for your comments .