442 with AF

2 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I don't like its defensive side in the first place - overly aggressive out-of-possession TIs, which is then compounded by the high team mentality (positive) as well as the overlap left team instruction (where you already have a fullback in a very attack-minded and aggressive role, so there is no reason to further increase his mentality). 

I also don't like both strikers being played in the same role (DLF), even if their duties differ. But that's just my personal opinion based on my tactical approach and football logic :onmehead:

Got it, I’ll probably just stick with the formation I’ve been using the 2nd half of this past season. Against weaker sides I’ll likely just play more aggressively.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, HotDogManUK said:

442 is my favourite real life formation but I've struggled for years now on FM with it, have you found success doing 442?

4231 is my favourite to play FM to win but I'd really like to make 442 work.

I’ve had some success with both, I’ve really enjoyed Cleon’s 4-2-3-1 deep in previous years when I had a strong squad, but since all of his articles and graphics have disappeared, I’ve leaned more on the 4-4-2.

I like the balance of the 4-4-2, especially since I start out trying to work my way up with a bad 1860 Munich squad. I like how you can adjust the 4-4-2 to cater to your team; it can maximize the output of a really good striker or two. I’ve had more success with the formation in the past few years, but I truly think this year’s version of the game is more difficult. I still haven’t settled on a style of play or formation that I’m totally happy with.