[FM19] How To Improve My Offensive Output with 4-4-1-1?

Hi to everyone!

I'm currently managing Le Havre in Ligue 2 (20/21) having managed Mouscron before. With Mouscron we sensationally won the title the first season after playing defensively very solid 4-4-1-1. I left Mouscron after the first season due to their evergrowing debt, and eventually landed in the middle of the season at Le Havre. At first, we were relatively successful with the 4-4-1-1 at Le Havre aswell, climbing up the table and just missing out on Ligue 2 playoffs. Second season has started and currently we are struggling mightily on offense and thus I turn to the experts here. I've attached my tactic below.

Main problem with this tactic has been getting the strikers to play well. Pretty much since managing Mouscron, my strikers have pulled in by far the lowest ratings, and they've struggled massively with scoring (best one scoring 11 goals in a season...). I've tried multiple roles, like TM or Poacher, but they've also struggled to contribute anything meaningful to the offense. I think I've stared at and mulled over this tactic so much that it has blinded me from finding a solution to the offensive output. Too often do we settle for a 0-0 or 1-1 draw because of our inefficiency. So, what do you guys think? Is anything sticking out from the tactic that I've failed to address so far? What should I improve on? Thank you!

c3ab7e8aafbf75f616f4873922bfa326.png

3 hours ago, LolSmokeIt said:

c3ab7e8aafbf75f616f4873922bfa326.png

I am trying to figure out what style of play you are looking to implement with this tactic? Why do you opted to use instructions such as dribble less and focus down the flanks, for example? Or get stuck in? Or be more expressive?

I don't say these are either right or wrong, just curious to hear what's your reasoning behind certain tactical decisions. Because without this kind of information, it's hard to tell what would be an optimal way for you to improve the tactic.

So you first need to decide what style of football you want to play and why, taking your players' strengths and weaknesses into account. Then we can discuss the tactic in a more detailed fashion.

Hi, I am by no means a tactical genius but from what I can see it looks as if you don’t have enough support in the box. You have two playmakers but only one real goal threat in the adavanced forward. Also dribble less with distribute quickly and counter seems contradictory. Hope this can be of use to you 

I agree with the above, it seems your striker is a bit lonely up front.

The AP does not venture forward a lot, the Winger mostly stays wide, same for the WB.

Maybe you can try experimenting a different role for the attacking midfielder? Since you already have a Wide Playmaker maybe you can try a more basic AM or even a Trequartista.

17 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

I am trying to figure out what style of play you are looking to implement with this tactic? Why do you opted to use instructions such as dribble less and focus down the flanks, for example? Or get stuck in? Or be more expressive?

I don't say these are either right or wrong, just curious to hear what's your reasoning behind certain tactical decisions. Because without this kind of information, it's hard to tell what would be an optimal way for you to improve the tactic.

So you first need to decide what style of football you want to play and why, taking your players' strengths and weaknesses into account. Then we can discuss the tactic in a more detailed fashion.

Defensively I've set up two blocks of four, it has proven to be very useful in nullifying opposition. Get stuck in I think plays into this; how I've interpreted it doing is encouraging players to foul opponents when they attack, thus interrupting the opposition's play. With

What I've tried to achieve offensively is give players freedom to be creative when attacking, thus "be more expressive". The flanks focus was put in when I first noticed with Mouscron how flanks (also WP) was not utilised properly, and that was my way of trying to get the ball wider more. I've now removed the instruction as I'm writing this since it does contradict the "creative freedom" aspect I'm looking for in attack.

I've thus changed AP to TQ, and removed dribble less. I guess with "dribble less" I was trying to force the team to move the ball up with passing, "BALL MOVES FASTER THAN THE PLAYER" a la Goal!:lol: