Fluid Counter Attack 352 - Strikers not scoring

I'm looking for some advice on how I can create more chances for my strikers in my 352 formation with Milan, first season. 

I'm still working through pre-season but my strikers are really not getting involved or putting chances away, most goals are coming from my WB's..

Is there anything obvious I have done in my tactics that may be causing this? I have been considering putting the Mez back on Support and WBs to Attack.

image.thumb.png.3fae02879f28cf9e0a2dec5b5c10a30e.pngStr

12 hours ago, Paulz said:

I have been considering putting the Mez back on Support and WBs to Attack

I would also rather have the mezzala on support in this particular setup, but before that I want to ask you about the footedness of your strikers - are they both right-footed, left-footed or one right and the other left?

As for the WBs, I certainly wouldn't have both of them on attack duty.

Btw, given that Milan is a good team, I am not sure that a counter-attacking tactic is going to work against weaker teams, especially when you play at home. Because they are likely to be pretty much defensive, which will considerably reduce the space for you to exploit via counters.

4 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

I would also rather have the mezzala on support in this particular setup, but before that I want to ask you about the footedness of your strikers - are they both right-footed, left-footed or one right and the other left?

Btw, given that Milan is a good team, I am not sure that a counter-attacking tactic is going to work against weaker teams, especially when you play at home. Because they are likely to be pretty much defensive, which will considerably reduce the space for you to exploit via counters.

Does the footedness of the strikers matter to you?  How do you like to set them up if one has a strong right foot and the other a strong left foot?  If you put the left of the right and the right on the left does that create opportunities for more through balls through the middle?

1 hour ago, Becanes said:

Does the footedness of the strikers matter to you?

Of course. Everything matters (to varying degrees). 

1 hour ago, Becanes said:

How do you like to set them up if one has a strong right foot and the other a strong left foot?  If you put the left of the right and the right on the left does that create opportunities for more through balls through the middle?

Like everything, depends on a number of factors (including the formation as well as roles and duties around/behind them + footedness of those behind and around). 

There's not a lot wrong with you tactic, but as Experienced Defender suggests, I imagine as Milan you'll be facing a fair number of teams that sit off of you. 

Personally I'd push your defensive line up, which can be mitigated somewhat by having the central defender on cover duty. 

I agree to changing the MEZ to support, and then the WB on the opposite side could be on attack. I'd also switch the MEZ and BBM around so that the MEZ is closer to the F9. On the side with the WB (A) you can use a CAR if you think the BBM might leave you exposed there.

If you keep the WBs on support and a lower LOE then hitting early crosses might be a good idea, as the AF will often position himself on the last line of defence.

I'd be tempted to turn off "Run at defence" and give PIs to dribble more to the MEZ and your good dribblers.

I also like Distributing to Full Backs in WB formations, especially against teams that press you high.

Anyway, those are just my brief thoughts, good luck.

Edited by yellowforever

7 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

All are right footed apart from Suso who I play as the F9. 

I was planning on a more possession oriented 352 as well, more like 32221.

Yes after posting I thought both WBs on Attack would be too much, I probably will put my LWB as either a CWB(s) or WB(A) when Hernandez is back from injury. 

6 hours ago, yellowforever said:

There's not a lot wrong with you tactic, but as Experienced Defender suggests, I imagine as Milan you'll be facing a fair number of teams that sit off of you. 

Personally I'd push your defensive line up, which can be mitigated somewhat by having the central defender on cover duty. 

I agree to changing the MEZ to support, and then the WB on the opposite side could be on attack. I'd also switch the MEZ and BBM around so that the MEZ is closer to the F9. On the side with the WB (A) you can use a CAR if you think the BBM might leave you exposed there.

If you keep the WBs on support and a lower LOE then hitting early crosses might be a good idea, as the AF will often position himself on the last line of defence.

I'd be tempted to turn off "Run at defence" and give PIs to dribble more to the MEZ and your good dribblers.

I also like Distributing to Full Backs in WB formations, especially against teams that press you high.

Anyway, those are just my brief thoughts, good luck.

Thank you, I will give what you have suggested a go as well:

image.thumb.png.03069df794b7013849a738ca869f5039.png

Edited by Paulz

1 hour ago, Paulz said:

All are right footed apart from Suso who I play as the F9

Well, in that case the sides you play your strikers on do make sense :thup: 

1 hour ago, Paulz said:

image.thumb.png.03069df794b7013849a738ca869f5039.png

This setup looks better than the initial one IMHO. I would change just a couple of things:

- the mezzala behind the AF, like this:

AF     F9

MEZsu   CMde    CAR

WBsu                                     CWBsu

CDde  CDst  CDde

SKsu

But on the other hand would rather retain the team instructions from your first tactic. Except for the more urgent pressing - I'd leave it on default (because you are playing on the Positive mentality, whereas the original preset fluid counter tactic is on the Cautious).

In terms of roles/duties, since this tactic is meant to be counter-attacking, you might try a trequartista instead of F9 as the AF's striker partner (although there is absolutely nothing wrong with the F9/AF combo either).