Analyzing tactics in a bad loss

So currently in my first season managing Chateauroux in LIgue 2, at the end of August and the season has been going well for the most part until this recent loss in the Coupe de La Ligue BKT to Bourg en Bresse 01 who are in the French National league (one below ligue 2). 

So theres my first problem, the loss was 0-1 with a late winner at 87'. The stats were terrible for me, few shots on goal while conceding an insane amount to my opposition. I've linked an imgur with relevant stat shots and also the replay so anyone can watch the game themselves and see why i failed so badly. My issue with FM is that I have trouble understanding the tactical side and roles of the team. Any help is appreciated!

Im running a Gegenpress 4-1-4-1 with the current squad high-line intensive pressing and high tempo usually positive mentality.

https://imgur.com/a/lqyo3Vy

Bourg en B. v Chateauroux.pkm

I can't say much cos i don't plan on looking at a pkm, i much rather see the tactic.

Basically most people who struggle with gegen pressing are the ones who usually get their role/duty combinations wrong. Gegen pressing will fail miserably if you choose these wrongly because gegenpressing is all about pressing traps. If you don't win the 2nd ball or don't use the ball effectively enough its always caused by a mismatch somewhere. Perhaps you should just stick a screenshot of your tactic up. I have also noticed people choosing the wrong players for roles.

1 hora atrás, Rashidi disse:

I can't say much cos i don't plan on looking at a pkm, i much rather see the tactic.

Basically most people who struggle with gegen pressing are the ones who usually get their role/duty combinations wrong. Gegen pressing will fail miserably if you choose these wrongly because gegenpressing is all about pressing traps. If you don't win the 2nd ball or don't use the ball effectively enough its always caused by a mismatch somewhere. Perhaps you should just stick a screenshot of your tactic up. I have also noticed people choosing the wrong players for roles.

It's in the link. :D

vrjhv8m.png

3 hours ago, Rashidi said:

Thanks for the response, and yes that's my biggest issue which I mentioned. My understanding of roles in the game is subpar, so I was figuring that was likely the source of the defeat. 

My analysis is that 6 on defend, 1 support, and 3 in attack is going to make any transitions difficult and doesn't serve the gegenpress tactic well considering I want to be pressing high up the pitch (I think I might have forgot to adjust these roles from the previous game in which I played one of the top sides in my domestic league). I normally wouldn't play 6 on defense especially with my regular tactical plan. 

My question now becomes what position and role combinations should I be aiming for with a Gegenpress tactic?

Edited by leixoesproject

Personally I don't like dual BPD's. like them even less with a DM DLP. 

You are already on cautious, so having all those Defends doesn't help your cause for attacking or pressing, you are overcoming it some with the TI's, which the only one I'd drop from the defending category is Tighter Marking .

Roles are fairly generic, no major conflicts there. 

So you either change mentality up a notch or two or maybe switch your entire midfield to Support duty.  The cautious will make them hold back some, and just keep your eye on the BWM to see if you need to tone down TI's if he's getting too many cards.  Couple that with a BPD to a CD on the Stopper role to help cover the hole your DLP might give up if he advances too much, you'll still have the WB's and BPD on Defend duty for back coverage.  Offsides trap with the back 4 all on Defend is kinda hard to pull off, so let one in the middle roam out a bit

So going into my next game I've changed it to this, the only roles im not sure on are my WB's and 2 wingers. My thought process is since my midfield will be primary supportive I'll need some attacking from the width to properly balance it out and my squad has capable wing-backs so why not. But should I being play my wing-backs as attacking, defending or supportive here? Will putting them on attack leave me too exposed even with my midfield configuration? Will putting both wingers as attacking leave my attacking options exclusively on the outside with no support from midfield?

Im guessing it would be beneficial to have my BWM and BBM pressing aggressively to get the ball back quickly in transition while cramping my opponents first half in transition and making it difficult to advance

chateau.png

Edited by leixoesproject

When using pass into space I normally use a lower line of engagement So the forward players have space to run in to.

It also looks like you might have problems with players deserting the centre midfield position. Your BBM will roam from position and out of possesion a BWM on support will to chasing the ball.

Your deep lying playmaker on support will get forward when you have the ball, and with your wing backs being positive you could be open to a counter.

If your team are much stronger you might get away with this, because when pressing you'll win the ball more often than not.

If your more evenly matched to the opposition teams Id think about changing your Deep lying playmaker to a role that provides more defensive cover.

Peharps just changing the duty to the defend, or making the role a defensive midfielder.