A-League - The Thread

worm

a-league_logo.png

The A-League was founded in 2005/06 and currently as of the 2008/09 season has 8 teams (expanding to 10 in 2009/10) in the league which runs from August to February. The regular season consists of 21 games with the top team being crowed A-League Premiers and a place in the Asian Champions League. The top four-ranked teams at the end of the regular season are entered into a finals series. The top two ranked teams play the Major Semi-Final, with the winner progressing straight to the Grand Final. On the same weekends, the third and fourth ranked teams contest the Minor Semi-Final, which sees the losing side eliminated whilst the winner plays off against the loser of the Major Semi-Final in the Preliminary Final the following weekend. The winner of this match also progresses to the Grand Final, the winner of which becomes A-League Champions and receives a place in the Asian Champions League.

Teams:

Adelaide United: Runners up of this years Asian Champions League

Central Coast Mariners: Last seasons Premier Champions

Melbourne Victory: 2006/07 Premier and Grand Final Winners

Newcastle Jets: Last Years Champions

Perth Glory: Finished 7th the last two seasons

Queensland Roar: They just cant win games at home

Sydney FC: The 'Glamour Club' and the champions in year one

Wellington Phoenix: The only non-Australian team in the A-League

I thought we could keep all A-League game discussion in here while using the editor thread for development of expansions and all things related.

[thread]20341[/thread]

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently playing a game as melbourne. I have cut all the dead wood (brebner, ney fabiano) and now into the 2nd season have got david williams back from overseas and Robbie Kruse from QLD. Hope to fight for a title this season after finishing 6th in the first season

Ive played half a season with QLD to date and currently 3rd, ive tried to use some of the younger names more often with Nichols, Minniecon and Zullo get more playing time. Zullo has impressed with some great assists.

I am currently playing a game as melbourne. I have cut all the dead wood (brebner, ney fabiano) and now into the 2nd season have got david williams back from overseas and Robbie Kruse from QLD. Hope to fight for a title this season after finishing 6th in the first season

thats a surprise ... so far Ney Fabiano looks is a good target man in my game

goalkeeping for me so far seems a problem, so i will proberly try and get a new one in the transfer window

There seems to be a lot of talented youth come thru at the state clubs. I have signed about 20 youth players at the start of the 2nd season.

i'll make sure i have a look

finished 3rd with QLD in the regular season.. next up Sydney in the minor playoff

there are heaps of youth players coming through the state leagues, sent out my scout from syd fc and he came back with 8 highly recommend players 6 of which were noted as a ' leading star in any a-league side'!

i know what you mean... ive found a great regan from Canberra

His name is Aaron Vargas and his standout stats are:

Acceleration: 17

Pace: 16

Finishing: 15

Teamwork 16

Position: Striker

My scouts loved him

anyone else finding aloisi just wont score! (kinda like in real life ;P) i play him as a lone striker tho, is that why?? ive got corica at amc with brosque and santalab at aml/amr. bridgey's playin well off the bench tho, might start him ahead of aloisi soon!

does anyone know how to buy player within the A-league when using an A-league club, i can;t do it for some reason

You can't.. You can only sign players when they are out of contract. I guess this helps ensure there is a level playing field or something.

You can't.. You can only sign players when they are out of contract. I guess this helps ensure there is a level playing field or something.

That's the reason. They didn't want the big clubs in Melbourne and Sydney to dominate the league as the various population densities would suggest. But in Version (or season) 6 of the A-League this rule will be lifted.

That's the reason. They didn't want the big clubs in Melbourne and Sydney to dominate the league as the various population densities would suggest. But in Version (or season) 6 of the A-League this rule will be lifted.

didnt know that....

in my game.. the mariners have won back-to-back major finals and have dominated the league with McCallister and Simon being the top goalscorers (1 and 2) in those two seasons.

I managed too sell van Djik for £1 million, with him not willing too sign a new contract after an impressive season and one year left on his contract QPR won the bidding war after they out bid AS Monaco and Reggina for the dutchman.

Any ideas who i can replace him with.. Reinaldo did well but the young Vargas (mentioned above) was inconsitent (to be expected is only 17).

Next up for the Roar is a debut in the Asian Champions League with the Roar being drawn agaisnt Bejing (fav), Gia Lai and Persipura

may of found a player to replace van Djik.... McCallister from the mariners who like ive mentioned before was the leading scorer in the past 2 seasons... i checked whose contracts were about to expire (something i didnt do last season) and along with the 2 time golden boot winner, i have signed Jedinak to replace the out of contract ageing Charlie Miller and Mullen from Adelaide as a defensive back up.

Still on the look out for a goalkeeper though

is it true youth league fixtures dont generate from season 2 onwards?

is it true that the wrong acl teams qualify for season 2?

youth fixtures dont generate until the lsat 7 games for me... but then the league table is viewable... altough its last seasons and the game this season.

from what i remember the ACL teams for AUS are correct for season 2

"game has now crashed twice after the news reel telling me that the loan and transfer ban between a-league clubs has been removed in 2010... after this when bidding for any player worldwide, on the bid screen it tells me that the i am under the minimum number goalkeepers (which im not) and after loding the bid it crashes the game."

Did you manage to get past that??

Also are the right teams qualifying for the ACL each year??

Want to know all this before i think about starting a game in the a-league.

"game has now crashed twice after the news reel telling me that the loan and transfer ban between a-league clubs has been removed in 2010... after this when bidding for any player worldwide, on the bid screen it tells me that the i am under the minimum number goalkeepers (which im not) and after loding the bid it crashes the game."

Did you manage to get past that??

Also are the right teams qualifying for the ACL each year??

Want to know all this before i think about starting a game in the a-league.

Yeah the third time i loaded it up, everything went fine and there was no GK error, the champions league works how it should after the first season... although i finished second in my group to Beijing on goal difference.

The transfer from team to team work aswell, along with the out of contracts i signed, i purchased Shannon Cole for $100k as despite his ratings, he has constantly scored against me and been a good goal scorer in the league.

I also signed Herd from Aston Villa on a free transfer and tried for Carl Valeri on a free but he turned me down for Parma (wtf? lol)

So its playable??

ACL works every year i heard it only worked once and the guy was on 2011.....

Cheers mate :)

yeah in the first year it should be adelaide and victory but the game doesnt do that until the update...

every other year its been correct.. so you basically qualify for the competition which starts after the following season.

What team are you planning on being?

Glory. Just started now....the research is horrible i mean they hav pellegrino down as a out and out left sided player when we know its not true same as nikitas correct foot. How have you found the league so far??

yeah i know what you mean... Shannon Cole is just a AMC

not bad.... central coast have dominated in the first 2 and half season i have played and syndey have struggled coming last in both seasons.

The stand out players seem to be McCallister, Simon, van Djik, Tim Brown, Holland (last season and a half), Rukyavista (sp?) and Vukovic from memory.

One problem im having is that too many goals are scored from long range (maybe its my GK Liam Reddy), although this is probably a match engine issue not a league issue.

Good lucky with the Glory and keep us posted.

With Queensland Roar, nearly midway through first season and yet to win at home. Away form is fine though (so all good there), knocked off Adelaide 4-0 on opening day, Sydney 3-0 (Pre-Season) and 1-0, both away games. Just secured Archie Thompson for next season, looking forward to it already!

Anyone else struggling financially?? I got rid of Frank Juric on 18k a week to cut my salary down but im still losing money monthly!

yeah i know what you mean although with the Roar i occasional im in the black after the month, the prize money just isnt enough and if your in the Asian champions league you have to win the games to get the decent money.

selling van Djik was a blessing for me as it created £1 Million

It took 2 years for the Roar to get a decent sponsor as previously i was getting 24k (wtf?) compared to the rest of the league 225k at least.

Have you won the league yet? If so how much prize money do you get?

Same as the ACL have you won it yet and if so hows the prize money for that?

ive only won the preseason cup and finished top of the league, although if you get to the minor or major final and host one of those games you get dramatically bigger attendances (40,000+ for a Roar game at the Suncorp), that gave me £400,000 of gate receipts.

Champions league wise ive only entered it once and game joint top of my group but failed to go through to the next round because of goal difference. Attendances where around 33,000 so income was again decent.

i cant remember how much i got for winning the league altough i do remember it being less than what i payed the players as a bonus

Attendances have increased over the 3 seasons with my current average being 20,000+ up from around 14,000+ in the first year.

The estimated value of the A-league clubs has also changed:

Victory - £5m

Roar - £3.5m

Phoenix - £3.1

Mariners - £3m

Jets- £2.8

Adelaide - £2.4

Sydney - £2.4

Glory - £1.9

Turnover wise everyone's around the same £1.6m - £2.2m, apart from the Victory who get £4.1m (mainly because of 21678 in ticket holders, with the next being 6383 (wtf?)

And finally everyone is still ranked 'okay' in terms of financial status.

ive just finished my 3rd season... and central coast have won it again, while i came a disappointing 6th, with leaking goals a problem.

Regen wise... not too bad most regens are of A-League standard with no real standouts... although my young striker mentioned earlier in the thread is producing the goods for me and the Aus U21s.

Teams seem to be buying up regens from Serbia and Croatia and they seem of good quality especially on of the Mariners who won player of the year.

The most expensive player in the league is Jedinak who is valued at £1.2m for me.

Turnover wise everyone's around the same £1.6m - £2.2m, apart from the Victory who get £4.1m (mainly because of 21678 in ticket holders, with the next being 6383 (wtf?)

This is exactly how it is in real life. I'm a season ticket holder for Melbourne myself, i think this season's actual figure is 17,750. Sydney only gets about 7-8k and it gets lower after that. Crowd numbers and members have gone down this season, should be put in place in the next update.

up to my 4th season with Melbourne and have had pretty reasonable success in the 4 years with 1 top of the table finish and 2 grand final wins.

Biggest buy was after my first season Mark Viduka came out of contract at Newcastle and I grabbed him in an instant and used him and Archie Thompson up front... Worked very well!

up to my 4th season with Melbourne and have had pretty reasonable success in the 4 years with 1 top of the table finish and 2 grand final wins.

Biggest buy was after my first season Mark Viduka came out of contract at Newcastle and I grabbed him in an instant and used him and Archie Thompson up front... Worked very well!

i tried for Viduka aswell.... he turned me down for retirement

finishd 7th first season

into second season -

transfers in -

petrovski

archie

robbie kruse

jonas salley

cassio

ped boijic

tsattlios , left back from syd fc

stil in debt big time even after the 1.5m tv revenue into second season.

How often do big clubs come in for players that perform well??

finishd 7th first season

into second season -

transfers in -

petrovski

archie

robbie kruse

jonas salley

cassio

ped boijic

tsattlios , left back from syd fc

stil in debt big time even after the 1.5m tv revenue into second season.

How often do big clubs come in for players that perform well??

Not too often.... you get interest mainly from league 1/2 of england but apart from the £1 Million van Djik transfer ive had little else.

When other teams from the division are allowed to buy your players the interest grows although they offer just what the players worth nothing greatly over.

who won the league?

mariners minor premiers....QLD beat them in the GF.

Finances are a real worry...Rukuvytsa is a star joint top scorer last season i would of offloaded him to see him progress in his career and hopefully get good funds but no one has offered anything yet not one bit of interest :(

is robbie gaspar still in the game? if so, and if his stats are still great, i'd recommend signing him. he was a gun.

persik? or persiva... (a purple coloured team from indonesia i think) in 08 you could buy him for 20k.

edit: the lad's dropped off quite a bit. maybe some good training will knock up his finishing, and the rest of the attributes on 9 and he could turn into a nice little signing. poor physical and mental attributes, however.

robbiegasparxy1.th.jpg

Archived