Has anyone had any success playing a ST as an IF or Ramdeuterin a 4231?

I'm looking forward to FM2020 and bringing Arsenal to the former glory. I'm curious around how I play. In FM2018 I had success in a 4231 with Aubamayang and Lacazette in the same formation. 

Getting them to perform as CF was easy but I never got the kind of goal output you'd get from a Mané or Salah playing out wide. Has anyone had any success playing a forward this way without having the CF be the false 9.

Essentially I'd want the LW to come inside so either as an inverted forward or Ramdeuter.

Edited by The Solman

both are more than capable of excelling in that role. If it fails it will be down to your tactics. Neither is known for working back to help with build up play though. Pepe is great carrier of ball and could excel in progressing ball. Tierney could be key offering your LW adequate support as can bellerin on other side. Just get midfield right to properly provide defensive cover.

32 minutes ago, s0ni42 said:

both are more than capable of excelling in that role. If it fails it will be down to your tactics. Neither is known for working back to help with build up play though. Pepe is great carrier of ball and could excel in progressing ball. Tierney could be key offering your LW adequate support as can bellerin on other side. Just get midfield right to properly provide defensive cover.

How would you set up your midfield? I think I'd go with Guendouzi/Xhaka as a DLP, Torreira/Guendouzi as a Segunda Volante and Ceballos/Willock as supporting CM support(Willock), B2B(Willock) or RPM(Ceballos). Obviously Özil as a APM if I used him.

Edited by The Solman

I’m not an arsenal fan so I might be off on a few of these. Are you set in stone on that formation? When healthy, I personally feel arsenal could do without the 10 altogether. You’ve got two high quality attacking oriented full backs to go with pepe, Auba, lacazette. I’d prolly try and emulate more Liverpool side based on the quality of those 5. What they still would lack is a Firminho type to drop deep to fill the space between lines, which could call for 10. I’d argue your fullbacks can serve that role adequately. I think a midfield more focused on defense makes more sense than a 10 when you eye your center back pairing of choice. 

If you’re bent on playing with a 10, ozil and ceballos (?) would be most capable options I believe. Put best defensive coverage at other two spots. I don’t personally like deep lying playmakers unless they are world class options. I just feel ball progression needs to be as rapid as possible with all that pace in lineup. 

1 hour ago, The Solman said:

I had success in a 4231 with Aubamayang and Lacazette in the same formation

1 hour ago, The Solman said:

Essentially I'd want the LW to come inside so either as an inverted forward or Ramdeuter

My preference would be - Aubameyang as IF on attack (or RMD) in AML and Lacazette as DLF on support (or F9) (speaking of 4231). 

16 minutes ago, The Solman said:

I think I'd go with Guendouzi/Xhaka as a DLP, Torreira/Guendouzi as a Segunda Volante and Ceballos/Willock as supporting CM support(Willock), B2B(Willock) or RPM(Ceballos). Obviously Özil as a APM if I used him

Which formation do you want to play? In the first post you mentioned 4231, but here you talk about 2 DMs, CM (or maybe 2 CMs?), APM (in which strata?). 

Edited by Experienced Defender

11 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

and Lacazette as DLF on support (or F9) (speaking of 4231). 

My worry was I thought I recalled lacazette having some personal skills that went against those roles. Maybe gets forward and/or moves into channels and first time shots. I could be wrong, been a while since I saw his player profile.

9 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

My preference would be - Aubameyang as IF on attack (or RMD) in AML and Lacazette as DLF on support (or F9) (speaking of 4231). 

Which formation do you want to play? In the first post you mentioned 4231, but here you talk about 2 DMs, CM (or maybe 2 CMs?), APM (in which strata?). 

Ideally a 4231 however I didn't play FM2019 so I wasn't sure on Ceballos' ability to play as the AM. I believe from FM2018 Willock could occupy that role as well. Or I'd play a 433 as an alternative. Ultimately what I want is  at least one of those midfielders maybe to weigh in with some goals regularly which I'm assuming would come from the Segundo Volante.

In the 4231 I either play both CMs in the DM space or for FM2018 Ramsey was pushed further forward slightly than Xhaka.

Edited by The Solman