Good night, I started a new game with Benfica. And I decided to play 4-1-4-1 in possession and ball control. I would like to be given some feedback on the tactic and what to improve in order to play in possession and control. I leave the tactic and my first results of the time. Thank you very much

D. Kiev v SL Benfica_ Match Review.png

Fenerbahçe v SL Benfica_ Match Review.png

SL Benfica v CS Marítimo_ Match Review.png

SL Benfica v D. Kiev_ Match Review.png

SL Benfica v Fenerbahçe_ Match Review.png

Sport Lisboa e Benfica_  Overview.png

Vit. Guimarães v SL Benfica_ Match Review.png

I don't think there's anything massively out of place, although I imagine sometimes you fail to create proper chances?

The reason I say this, is that there's a lack of movement between the lines. While I appreciate you're trying to control the game and therefore trying to play patiently, a direct runner from deep can be really effective, in any system. To add to this, if a team is sitting deep using a lone striker on a support duty can help create more space for said runners - otherwise a PF (A) doesn't have a lot of room to attack.

Perhaps changing the IF on the left to an attack duty and the PF to a support may help? You'd then have quite a nice balance of duties.

Edited by Luizinho

13 hours ago, vogado86 said:

Sport Lisboa e Benfica_  Overview.png

13 hours ago, vogado86 said:

I would like to be given some feedback on the tactic and what to improve in order to play in possession and control

If you want a tactic based on controlling possession, then your playmaker should be on support duty. Btw, a combo of both PM and lone striker on attack duty makes a lot more sense in counter-attacking and/or fast attacking tactics, but not in possession-based ones. And on top of that, your CM pair would make more sense if the mezzala was on attack duty and AP on support (rather than the opposite).

Btw, I would always look to avoid a BWM role for a lone DM, primarily for the sake of defensive solidity. I want the lone DM to have positional discipline, rather than running around and pressing and tackling like mad.

As for the team instructions, the Focus play through the middle is absolutely unnecessary, especially when you are a top team that will face a lot of very defensive opponents.

Finally, the combination of your defensive (out-of-possession) instructions is also problematic, and this is generally the area of the game where people seem to be making most tactical mistakes.

2 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

If you want a tactic based on controlling possession, then your playmaker should be on support duty. Btw, a combo of both PM and lone striker on attack duty makes a lot more sense in counter-attacking and/or fast attacking tactics, but not in possession-based ones. And on top of that, your CM pair would make more sense if the mezzala was on attack duty and AP on support (rather than the opposite).

Btw, I would always look to avoid a BWM role for a lone DM, primarily for the sake of defensive solidity. I want the lone DM to have positional discipline, rather than running around and pressing and tackling like mad.

As for the team instructions, the Focus play through the middle is absolutely unnecessary, especially when you are a top team that will face a lot of very defensive opponents.

Finally, the combination of your defensive (out-of-possession) instructions is also problematic, and this is generally the area of the game where people seem to be making most tactical mistakes.

I'm gonna change the CM roles and the DM role to DM(de). What you suggest to do in the attack and the combination of my defensive? 

2 hours ago, vogado86 said:

What you suggest to do in the attack

In terms of roles and duties or instructions or both? 

and the combination of my defensive? 

Well, I certainly would not use more urgent pressing, hard tackling and tight marking all at the same time when playing on a high-risk mentality and/or with an insufficient level of vertical compactness. In your tactic specifically, I would leave team pressing on default and instead use the split block (the front 3 + mezzala to close down more), tackling would also be left on default and only the DM would be told to mark tighter (PI). 

1 hour ago, vogado86 said:

In both, roles and duties. And some team instructions beside the defensives that you write

Basically, I would look to simplify the tactic in terms of instructions and instead focus primarily on the roles and duties. For example:

PFat

IFsu                                     Wat

DLPsu       MEZsu

DMde

FBat      CDde     BPDde    IWBsu

SKde/su

Mentality would remain Positive, and the only in-possession instructions would be - shorter passing, play out of defence (work ball into box and/or be more expressive would be used occasionally).

In transition - only Counter and Counter-press (although the latter not always). Distribution would be entirely left to the keeper's discretion.

Out of possession - already discussed

Edited by Experienced Defender

14 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

Basically, I would look to simplify the tactic in terms of instructions and instead focus primarily on the roles and duties. For example:

PFat

DLPsu       MEZsu

DMde

SKde/su

Mentality would remain Positive, and the only in-possession instructions would be - shorter passing, play out of defence (work ball into box and/or be more expressive would be used occasionally).

In transition - only Counter and Counter-press (although the latter not always). Distribution would be entirely left to the keeper's discretion.

Thanks for the help! I'm gonna try

21 hours ago, Experienced Defender said:

PFat

DLPsu       MEZsu

DMde

SKde/su

Something like that?

Sport Lisboa e Benfica_  Visão Geral-3.png

Something like that?

Sport Lisboa e Benfica_  Visão Geral-3.png

Yes, and + Counter (in transition). But make sure that you have the right players for all these roles.

Use Work ball into box and Be more expressive as optional instructions (not necessarily both at the same time).

Out of possession, you can go with higher LOE. DL can be either standard (default) or also higher (depends on your players' abilities). 

2 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

Yes, and + Counter (in transition). But make sure that you have the right players for all these roles.

Use Work ball into box and Be more expressive as optional instructions (not necessarily both at the same time).

Out of possession, you can go with higher LOE. DL can be either standard (default) or also higher (depends on your players' abilities). 

Maybe i go with higher LOE and DL standart to bem more safe

51 minutes ago, vogado86 said:

Maybe i go with higher LOE and DL standart to bem more safe

It's not necessary in a multi-strata formation such as 4123, especially as Benfica is a good team (and the strongest in Portugal besides Porto). Anyway, you can experiment with the following combos:

- standard DL / higher LOE

- higher DL / higher LOE

- higher DL / much higher LOE

See which one works best for your team.

7 minutes ago, Experienced Defender said:

It's not necessary in a multi-strata formation such as 4123, especially as Benfica is a good team (and the strongest in Portugal besides Porto). Anyway, you can experiment with the following combos:

- standard DL / higher LOE

- higher DL / higher LOE

- higher DL / much higher LOE

See which one works best for your team.

I will try all combos. I have notice that i suffer many goals on the far post. I have put the RD (WB/SU) and LF(WB/SU)