Known issues and solutions - FAQ

bardi, first of all thanks for being there, hoping you will answer. You said to fmfan87 that if a saved game crashes always in the same date is unlikely that even with next patch he will be able to continue. I am in a similar condition as i cannot go past 25 july 2009 (known problem it is reported probably due to italian serie c cup) and i have my saved game on 24 july and i am not restarting a new game waiting for a fix..... so i must understand i am doing wrong thing keeping my saved game and hoping for a fix???

Apart this i also report my previous post from yesterday as nobody answered:

"I can understand it's quite early for a second patch but i was wondering one thing: considering the very big number of persons having the problem of 24th july 2009 crash is not near even the date for at least a fix for this single problem? Cause to play a game with bugs is problematic but not being able to play is even more frustratring. Asking this cause i guess to release the fix is not requiring that much work and can be much more quicker. THANKS IN ADVANCE IF SOMEONE WILL ANSWER to this "suggestion" even only to say "sorry we will not follow this" ."

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks for that fmfan87. That was posted on another thread, which I was not aware of.

I'm looking into this now. I will post an update on http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?p=2156284#post2156284.

Hi! I see on the link that you have wrote that pthe problem was loged and fixed. Now what? we have to wait for a patch or you can tell us what to do?

Thanks

Hi! I see on the link that you have wrote that pthe problem was loged and fixed. Now what? we have to wait for a patch or you can tell us what to do?

Thanks

Hi mate,

See you're having the same problems as I am... Yeah, I got a message from chris (the guy who was helping me) saying it was fixed but I'd have to wait for the next patch. I asked him if it was something to do with a league I was running (like the July 24th crash) and he said the dev guy hadn't told him the cause. So we're in the dark. I'm running an American league, 2 spanish, 2 italian and all the english ones if there's any overlap there... I don't really mind starting a new game if I know this one won't crash at the same point...

Anyhow, I share your frustration

Unfortunately, I cannot give you a definitive answer as to whether or not you will be to continue your currently crashable saved game, when a fix is publicly released via a patch.

What I can say is that, generally speaking, the likelihood for you to be able to continue your saved games does exist, but isn't guaranteed. It really varies depending on the nature of crash. If it's db-related, then it's unlikely. If it's not, then it is more likely, but still not 100%.

And, yes, I would definitely recommend all people experiencing crashes to keep their saved games, until a fix is made public.

Sorry if this doesn't answer/confirm your concerns entirely.

Hi mate,

See you're having the same problems as I am... Yeah, I got a message from chris (the guy who was helping me) saying it was fixed but I'd have to wait for the next patch. I asked him if it was something to do with a league I was running (like the July 24th crash) and he said the dev guy hadn't told him the cause. So we're in the dark. I'm running an American league, 2 spanish, 2 italian and all the english ones if there's any overlap there... I don't really mind starting a new game if I know this one won't crash at the same point...

Anyhow, I share your frustration

Anyway i understood that we woun't be able to continue the current saved game, so i would't mint to start a new game either, but i have no assurance that the same thing will not happen in future. I think we'll have to wait for the patch :( . I have the 27th sept crash with Serie A, Premier league, Spanish first division and romanian league and i'm currently playng in romania at Steaua. Hope the patch will come out soon, coz i'm not able to wait a few weeks just to play a game i bought.

Again, I will re-iterate to feel free to start a new game, but to not give up ALL hope that you won't be able to continue your currently un-playable saved game once the next patch is released. I realise that that would require patience from your end, seeing as no release date has been announced for one, but thought I should state so again for emphasis' sake.

Again, I will re-iterate to feel free to start a new game, but to not give up ALL hope that you won't be able to continue your currently un-playable saved game once the next patch is released. I realise that that would require patience from your end, seeing as no release date has been announced for one, but thought I should state so again for emphasis' sake.

It's not that i'm panniced to start a new game, but what if that game will crash on 27th august too? i will have 2 games that i'm not even sure i will be able to continue at some time ...

For example, this particullar game that crashed took me 26 hours of playing. i'm not gonna play 26 more just to get to the same point.

It's not that i'm panniced to start a new game, but what if that game will crash on 27th august too? i will have 2 games that i'm not even sure i will be able to continue at some time ...

Have you had this crash occuring with every game of FM 09 you've played? Or was this your first FM 09 game?

Also, could you please check your PM folder page.

thank you bardi for ur answer first of all. I have uploaded also my saved game at 24 july 2009 (day before the crash): i dont know if it can be useful as the problem is already known (name of the file: davesheffield24july09.fm). i will keep it and not play waiting for the patch.

But just to discuss and without any intentions of accusing i would like to tell you this: new patch is of course necessary and it needs developing times, but if the 2-3 more common problems (july and august crash and maybe other i am not aware of) has already been fixed, why SI doesnt release just a fix for that specific problem? it would surely make the game playable early. thank you again!

Sent also a PM hoping not to disturb too much!

Hi guys,

Been trawling through this forum and I cant find any advice with my issues, wondered if somone could help.

When trying to start fm2009 i get a box popping up saying "this application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found"

So I downloaded the new DirectX SKD from microsoft and got another pop up saying " Error S1023 Failed" While installing Runtime.

I'm using Vista which has proven pretty **** since I go the laptop but I do have DirectX 10 installed when I run Dxdaig so I can't see the issue.

If someone could help it would be great as I have a wife who needs ignoring and this is my only saving grace.

Regards

Hey, here is codes, thanks

Driver Date/Size: 9/19/2007 20:19:58, 2555904 bytes

Hi ylc.

Your driver is a year out of date.

Could you possibly update it and give it another go for me?

The driver you need can be found here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_results.aspx?strTypes=all&ProductID=2800&OSFullName=Windows+Vista*+Ultimate%2C+32-bit+version〈=eng&strOSs=156&submit=Go%21

Download and install that driver and let me know how it goes.

thank you bardi for ur answer first of all. I have uploaded also my saved game at 24 july 2009 (day before the crash): i dont know if it can be useful as the problem is already known (name of the file: davesheffield24july09.fm). i will keep it and not play waiting for the patch.

But just to discuss and without any intentions of accusing i would like to tell you this: new patch is of course necessary and it needs developing times, but if the 2-3 more common problems (july and august crash and maybe other i am not aware of) has already been fixed, why SI doesnt release just a fix for that specific problem? it would surely make the game playable early. thank you again!

Sent also a PM hoping not to disturb too much!

Thanks for that, Dave. We've actually acquired more than enough saved games related to this crash, so as much as we appreciate the time/trouble you took to upload yours, there's probably not much else we could do with it.

As for your second query, I'm personally in no position to make an official comment. However, based on my own programming knowledge, I can say the picture you've painted is a probably bit simple, and not an accurate portrayal of the events that may have lead to any general (be it FM 09 or any other software) major fix i.e. how elements of the game are interlocked to one another - one major fix can be the accumulation of numerous other bugs (currently in the process of finding a resolution through continious investigation) being resolved independantly.

Thanks for that, Dave. We've actually acquired more than enough saved games related to this crash, so as much as we appreciate the time/trouble you took to upload yours, there's probably not much else we could do with it.

As for your second query, I'm personally in no position to make an official comment. However, based on my own programming knowledge, I can say the picture you've painted is a probably bit simple, and not an accurate portrayal of the events that may have lead to any general (be it FM 09 or any other software) major fix i.e. how elements of the game are interlocked to one another - one major fix can be the accumulation of numerous other bugs (currently in the process of finding a resolution through continious investigation) being resolved independantly.

Clear enaugh! To use a fm language, we hope for a speedy resolution :). please let us know whenever you find out something that can help.

Hi guys,

Been trawling through this forum and I cant find any advice with my issues, wondered if somone could help.

When trying to start fm2009 i get a box popping up saying "this application has failed to start because d3dx9_37.dll was not found"

So I downloaded the new DirectX SKD from microsoft and got another pop up saying " Error S1023 Failed" While installing Runtime.

I'm using Vista which has proven pretty **** since I go the laptop but I do have DirectX 10 installed when I run Dxdaig so I can't see the issue.

If someone could help it would be great as I have a wife who needs ignoring and this is my only saving grace.

Regards

Is there anyone out there that could help me with this as I'm getting very frustrated now! and you can only read the manual so many times!!

Hi guys,

Regards

Is Steam running when you are trying to install the DirectX SDK?

If it is, please close it down completely, as that may have been corrupting your install.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Cox

Okay so if you don't do that does the game run fine in full screen?

Yes, i have been playing in full screen, but i need to play in windowded mode.

any idea?

Can i get help?

Create a shortcut off the FM.exe (right click / create shortcut)

Right click the shortcut and select properties

In the "target" box after the path ("c:\program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009\fm.exe" or if steam "c:\program files\steam\steamapp\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe") add one space and then "-windowed" and "-small_screen" (without the quote marks)

So it will look exactly like the below...

"c:\program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen

Or if you've installed with steam it will look like this:

"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen

Hopefully that sorts your problem. If not then I don't know what else we can do apart from suggest a better monitor and graphics card.

hi just installed the game twice but can't play. Whenever i try to begin a game i've got a message : "couldn't read database". And i can't play cause i can't create any game. What should i do ?

i installed first via Steam then cancelled. Erased steam. Anh then install the normal way for activation by uniloc.

i've seen other people having this problem but i haven't seen any solution... So ?

I am trying to play fm 2009 online, but every time my friends try to connect to the game(i am the server), the game exits. we all have wireless internet connection and we haven;t activated via steam. please help!!!!

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=12880

This is the help thread for Online games. Please post there and the guys will do their best to help you out.

Cheers.

This is actually a joke..i have played the game for several years and only this year has installing been a problem i have waited for over 10 days to try and get it to work but nothing. When i go to softanchor all it says is online activation and that my trial has expired.. as i am in a place where i cannot get the internet it is very frustrating and i have no idea what to do...thanks SI for severaly ****ing up this game for alot of people.

This is actually a joke..i have played the game for several years and only this year has installing been a problem i have waited for over 10 days to try and get it to work but nothing. When i go to softanchor all it says is online activation and that my trial has expired.. as i am in a place where i cannot get the internet it is very frustrating and i have no idea what to do...thanks SI for severaly ****ing up this game for alot of people.

I'm sorry about the troubles you've been having getting the game activated and running.

Have you been to http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=65715? If not, I would suggest following the steps listed there, and see if it helps resolve the issues you've been having with activation.

downloaded the game through steam, everything went fine.

Followed the steps for the activator to enable play when not connected to the internet, again, everything went fine.

Now how do i run the game when not connected to internet?

You wouldn't require a net connection to run the game, once the game has been activated on the machine you wish to play it on.

where do i launch the game from then?

only way i can seem to run it is through the steam logo on desktop which doesnt work when not connected

You should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory:

C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/

Create a shortcut here, and drag it onto your desktop.

The game will now work without running Steam - however, please make sure Steam is NOT already running when you do this.

I'm not the first one to say it but mayve it feels good after so much frustration. How come the game needs a patch so close to its release ? How come i buy it and can't play cause it doesn't work ? I've played this game for more than 10 years and it's the first time SI and SEGA seems so unprepared...

I know they've apologized but hey that's my money in this game that cannot work. And more than that this is the only game I buy evrey year so imagine the frustration when it reads "couldn't read database" when i start the game.

Create a shortcut off the FM.exe (right click / create shortcut)

Right click the shortcut and select properties

In the "target" box after the path ("c:\program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009\fm.exe" or if steam "c:\program files\steam\steamapp\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe") add one space and then "-windowed" and "-small_screen" (without the quote marks)

So it will look exactly like the below...

"c:\program files\sports interactive\football manager 2009\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen

Or if you've installed with steam it will look like this:

"c:\program files\steam\steamapps\common\football manager 2009\fm.exe" -windowed -small_screen

Hopefully that sorts your problem. If not then I don't know what else we can do apart from suggest a better monitor and graphics card.

Tks Steve.

But it doesn't, I already tried that, and if i put tha text in the sortcut without changing in the preferences of the game, it gives an error and closes the game.

My problem is that i can't change to windowed in the preferences, it appears grey and i can't choose it...

Tks Steve.

But it doesn't, I already tried that, and if i put tha text in the sortcut without changing in the preferences of the game, it gives an error and closes the game.

My problem is that i can't change to windowed in the preferences, it appears grey and i can't choose it...

The way I posted forces the game into windows mode, if it can do it with that then I'm afriad the display capabilites of the computer won't allow it.

Have you tried changing the resolution on your desktop through the control panel and seeing if the game will run in windowed mode after that? As I said there's not much else I can suggest for you.

Is Steam running when you are trying to install the DirectX SDK?

If it is, please close it down completely, as that may have been corrupting your install.

Bardi Steam is not running, still having the same issues, just want to sort this out and play as I wont get a refund for the game so its useless.....

Hello i was being responded to but you seem to have forgotten bout me so i shall repeat.

Please help i have the error XML parsing error. I have tried the solutions on the front page but they didn't work . When i go to properties on my shortcut in the target field it shows this:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling none of that has worked other than that iv'e done nothing

PLease help i really want to play on it .

oh and i run it through steam.

Hey guys, seems like ur doing a pretty good job in a fairly dire situation.

My problem comes while playing the game. I have a macbook that meets all the specifications required, however after a couple of minutes of play the game does some funky things. The game does not not properly respond when i click on anything. I cannot click on players to access their profiles or change transfer enquiries to loan enquiries..it wont even respond to clicking on the quit button.

Please help SI boffs!

Hello i was being responded to but you seem to have forgotten bout me so i shall repeat.

Please help i have the error XML parsing error. I have tried the solutions on the front page but they didn't work . When i go to properties on my shortcut in the target field it shows this:

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling none of that has worked other than that iv'e done nothing

PLease help i really want to play on it .

oh and i run it through steam.

Could you please remind us what is the xml parsing error you are getting is?

The way I posted forces the game into windows mode, if it can do it with that then I'm afriad the display capabilites of the computer won't allow it.

Have you tried changing the resolution on your desktop through the control panel and seeing if the game will run in windowed mode after that? As I said there's not much else I can suggest for you.

How can I change resolution?

And for what should i change?

How can I change resolution?

And for what should i change?

On Vista, right click anywhere on the desktop and select 'Personalize'. Then choose 'Display Settings'.

On the other hand, if you're on XP, right click once again on any empty space on desktop and select 'Properties'. Then, you must choose the 'Settings' tab.

Try changing the resolution (if possible) to one higher than your current one.

Bardi,

Tried to download DirectX SDK on a firefox explorer but its made no difference, is there ANYTHING else I can try.

I feel like adam with an apple in my hand and no teeth!

Unfortunately, for the time being, I'm pretty much out of suggestions. Well, except for..

Have you tried googling for 'S1023' to see if it pops up any relevant matches?

Archived