Manage U18 sides

Atarin

It gets asked every year and every year it doesn't happen but I'm going to keep on asking until the developers get so sick of hearing about it that they include the feature just to shut us up.

A lot of coaches start their coaching careers coaching junior age groups so it makes sense in terms of real life. The parameters would be that you, obviously, only get to control the youth team but you could spice it up with being given a budget to bring in players who are under the age of 18. In real life player development comes before winning trophies at that level so, for me, this has always been the difficulty in imagining how this would be implemented. What would be the objectives for a coach? It can't be player development because the senior coach decides which and how many youngsters get given a chance. I think the way out of this is to broaden it out.

How about if you weren't able to control the squad role e.g - Youngster, Hot Prospect.etc That was for the 1st team manager or DOF. Your job would be to get a certain number of youngsters from each intake into the the next Category up? So, for example - Your U18 group is 16 players. You've got six Hot Prospects that you need to develop into Backup players. You've got eight Youngsters that you need to develop into Hot Prospects and you've got two Not Needed that you've got to develop into Youngsters.

Another possible set of objectives would be player value. A big part of an academy's job is to increase the value of these players so that they can be sold on. You could factor that in as well. 

At the beginning of your season you could be told that you have 6 Hot Prospects. 8 Youngsters. 2 Not needed. The club want to finish the season with 2 Back Up. 8 Hot Prospects. 6 Youngsters. As well as that you could be told that the combined value of the youth squad is currently £50k and at seasons end they want the combined value to be £150k. (I've just pulled those figures out of my backside).

Of course you could also have the usual objectives of winning the U18 league section, winning the FA Youth Cup and winning the Euro League Cup.

This would be achieved through coaching, mentoring, playing the youngsters in games and just generally developing them in the way you would at senior level. 

I'm desperate for this to be included in the game, and I'm not the only one. Please SI, I'm begging you! :lol:

Just now, Haiku said:

That sounds more like Head of Youth job rather than U18 manager. 

Combining the roles of the two makes implementing the feature seem more possible. Obviously the two roles would remain seperate for the AI but when you took over an U18 job you would essentially be doing both.

The problem with managing youth sides is that it will require expanded database. Majority of clubs bar top leagues have little to no players in their youth teams in FM. It's impossible to manage teams without players and being U18 manager you are not allowed to deal with transfers either. 

1 minute ago, Haiku said:

The problem with managing youth sides is that it will require expanded database. Majority of clubs bar top leagues have little to no players in their youth teams in FM. It's impossible to manage teams without players and being U18 manager you are not allowed to deal with transfers either. 

I don't think that's true. Most, if not all, of the teams I manage (all the way down to level 9) have 12-16 youth players. In my original post I also mentioned a youth manager/HoYD being given a small budget to bring in a few prospects (as HoYD do now in the real world).

I think it would also offer brilliant secondary features like being 1st in line to being given the 1st team job as a caretaker manager when he's sacked. If you did well you could find yourself getting the job fulltime. If not, you just go back to being the U18 coach.

It doesn't have to be where a manage stays either. The feature could be such that you are building up experience and your attributes which can bring you to the attention of other clubs who may want you to come and be their first team manager.

1 minute ago, Atarin said:

I don't think that's true. Most, if not all, of the teams I manage (all the way down to level 9) have 12-16 youth players. In my original post I also mentioned a youth manager/HoYD being given a small budget to bring in a few prospects (as HoYD do now in the real world).

That might be true about english database, but go check other countries. Even if they have players, what are you going to manage with Chester U18 for example, since their U18 team is not competing in any active U18 league? That applies to all lower leagues teams. 

You don't have to be in a competitive league to develop. I develop youngsters at amateur clubs using just regular friendly games. If it was necessary the feature could be limited to professional clubs or only clubs that are part of a U18 youth league. The main thing is that there are lots of us that love youth football and youth development. While you can do that in the game currently you have to spend the vast majority of your time dealing with the first team. I certainly don't have time to watch/manage 1st team and U18 games. Certainly not in the detail that i'd like. This feature is just a way of letting us focus solely on youth development.

Archived